Sign in to follow this  
Janey

Common Assessment Framework

hi everyone,

Has anyone come accross a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) part of the governments Every Child Matters campaign? Its a way of centralising information so that all the professionals involved with children that need a bit of extra help for whatever reason have access to the same information without the need to keep repeating it.

I've just filled a big form in for my ds which apparently goes off to a meeting with his class teacher (also Senco) for various professionals to discuss what the best things to do for him are. My only concern is that this is a new thing the school has done so T. is a bit of a gunniepig and I'm not invited to the meeting to discuss my own son. I feel a bit uncomfortable about this as you would expect his mother to be able to have some say in what intervention he needs rather that just going on what I have written on a form.

Anyone else done one of these?

Janey

Hi Janey,

Not come across this either as a parent or member of staff. Be interested to follow the thread if anyone has more info.

Stella xx

J has had a CAF filled in, but the other reports still get filled in too, so it's not yet being used for what it was supposed to be used for!

The HT at J's school filled it in and then asked for my suggestions/ alterations/ additions in preparation for a Child In Need meeting which was virtually indistinguishable from an Annual Review except centred on all his needs 24/7 as opposed to school needs like a statement review.

You should indeed be asked to be involved as it says so on the form.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone.

Teachermum1, your experience sounds similar to mine although I took the form away to fill in then took it back to T's Senco. He says there will be a meeting sometime in April which sounds like the Child in Need Meeting which you mentioned but I will not be involved.

Janey

My eldest son is the guinnea pig at his school - the acting head invited me in to go through the CAF paperwork with her and then went back to the LEA to checked she'd done it all properly (as it was their first one) and she then sent him home with a copy of the final version.

I have just had a letter through the post asking me to attend the (TAC or something!?) meeting with her, his teacher and someone from the locality team - so it's sound like they are doing it the correct way I guess... :pray:

This is all to get the powers that be to realise that I have a very stressed out 7yr old who desperately needs some sleep - in our house there is no chance as the two littlies don't need more than 3 or 4 hours kip and then disrupt the whole house!

Good luck with it,

Nikki.

Hi.The CAF is a new process that has come about as part of every child matters.It is gradually being introduced.Eventually a CAF will be done as a starting point for any child who may have additional needs with referance to anything... health,social need,educational need.All staff across health,education,voluntary sector and education will eventually be trained in completing the form.Since it is new staff are gradually being trained and the paperwork is gradually being introduced....so lots of people are gunniepigs.

The CAF is intended to be a starting point into a system which includes regular review...so unless the SENCO decides to do nothing you should be involved in further stages of assessment and planning.The CAF should allow for a better system and increased communication...so if that does not happen in practice do follow it up.Karen.

What do I do now?

I have just spoken to my LEA to see if I should be at this multi agency meeting and they said NO. Apparently the reason is because they have so many new refferrals at the moment because this CAF is a new thing its quicker to deal with them all if parents aren't involved. I'm really not happy about this. To start off with it makes my sons problems sound like they are only recent and also he's been let down before when so called proffessionals who barely know him have held meetings without me. :wallbash:

This dosen't seem to be the case in other LEA's.

Any advice now?

Janey

Hi Janey.I do not know what to advise but do understand why you are frustrated.My understanding of CAF is that parent's are supposed to be a significant part of the process....if the LEA are not involving parents then it just becomes another bit of paperwork. :wallbash::wallbash:

One possible option may be to see what the outcome of the meeting is and if you are not happy then investigate whether you could then make a complaint.

It may be worth contacting parent partnership to see whether they can offer you some support too.Karen.

>>Apparently the reason is because they have so many new refferrals at the moment because this CAF is a new thing its quicker to deal with them all if parents aren't involved. >>

That made me laugh - "its quicker to deal with them all if parents aren't involved"!!

We are just such a nuisance - a bit like our children really!