westie

Hello from westie

Hi everyone. I have been a member of this forum for a long time but for a long time felt awkward posting as my 9yr old had been diagnosed with Patholological Demand Avoidance Syndrome - PDA (a pervasive development disorder considered by some including Elizabeth Newsome - the " discoverer - " as a syndrome related to, but different from ASD) and the handling conditions are distinctly different too. So although I have commented sometimes I have not realy felt like I "belong" till my youngest was recently diagnosed with ASD at just under 3 yrs. I am sad for him but also relieved it was picked up s soon. I really need some proper instructions to help both my kids. if anyone wants to know about PD then reply and I will be in touch

Edited by westie

Thanks to everyone who has posted to say hi! Have not been on forum much as having personal crisis (I am losing the plot) though taken positive step and visited gp. Feel better for doing that but long way to go before I feel "right" again. Think that my youngest being diagnosed was like one thing too much, I am sure many of you will know what I mean.

Reading posts on here helps me to put things in perspective, there are many going through similar or worse.

Suppose I had better go and clean up now - to say its a bit of a mess is an understatement :blink:

Take care

X

Hi Westie, sorry to hear you haven't been feeling good. I completely understand how you feel it's kind of a relief but grieve at the same time, it takes time to adjust even if you always knew like I did. Just keep reminded yourself it's better to get the diagnoses so early because you will have all the right support put in place for you especially for school (fingers crossed) X

Hello Karen, rainbow queen and everyone - just reading round and catching up on latest as haven't looked for a while.!

Edited by westie

hello westie,my steve was dx with PDAS two years ago,i havent really had a lot of info or help about it,any info you have i would be very grateful,thanks

hya you guys, i thought initially my daughter may have PDAS but when i asked our Paediatrician and psychologist they were quite dismissing of the idea due to them never having heard of it before. I printed out a lot of stuff from the PDA website but they still didn't think it was a credible diagnosis. They have now said she has an ASD but i still feel that PDA is quite an accurate discription of her, although she has no imaginative play though.

Hi Hev and mylittleangel, I hope you saw my other post in the resources section. If you live down south then they may be doing a conference down that part of the country which I think would be very useful.

HEV the presenters at the conference were good, APPLE who posted the original message about the conference has a son with autism and PDA who is now 18. He has had a lot of issues with violence/ trashing house and I know you have some concerns about that at the minute with your son from reading some of your other posts. I think it would be worth contacting her as she may be able to help as she has a lot of experience as she manages THE MAZE who are a support group in Notts as well (she presented at the conference). Fiona Speirs worked with 16-19yr age group and she had some very interesting tales and methods about working with young people with PDA tendencies.

There are lots of other parents posting on the PDA forum who have useful info. to share but perhaps you have already looked on there? Its hard to deal with a PDAS child/ young person's very pressing need to avoid doing anything asked of them - my son can spend hours trying to get out of something which he could have finished within a couple of minutes and which is well within his capabilities and it is draining for both of us (and his dad, and his teachers!) If you have any specific questions you could pm me and I will try to help if I can, although I am no expert I am still learning myself!