Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Which hand?

Are you left handed or right handed?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are you left handed or right handed?

• Left Handed
    • Right Handed
    • Ambidextrous

I can write forwards with my left hand and backwards with my right hand at the same time! So there! It's my one and only talent. :lol:

I write mostly with my right hand but do crosswords with my left. I used to use my right hand to do sports, as encouraged by my mum, but one day playing badminton I suddenly thought I'd switch to my left hand and I was so much better. Now I play all sports, table tennis, badminton, bowling, etc. with my left hand and do most things with my left except for most of the writing. Thinking back, my mum was always snatching things out of my left hand and putting them in my right, so I probably got quite good at doing things with my right when it actually would have been more natural to use my left and has probably resulted in me being able to use both pretty equally. It's very useful, if I'm doing something and my hand gets tired I can just switch to the other hand without much thought.

~ Mel ~

I'm not sure which to pick ... :unsure: Do you want current 'state'? :unsure:

I was born entirely ambidextrous and would happily draw with both hands (often at the same time - it made the colouring in which I saw as pointless a whole lot quicker :rolleyes:) and my 'speciality' was to do dot-to dots with one hand starting at '1' and going forwards and one at '99' and going backwards and meet in the middle.

But then I went to a sort of special school at the age of 2 1/2 and the teacher I had when I was about 3 - 4 insisted that I had to be right handed and that there was something evil about left-handedness and I used to have my left hand held behind me and was forced to write with my right hand. From there I went into mainstream and continued mainly to use my right hand, but would sometimes just switch if I felt like it. My writing was equally messy either way. :lol:

Then, five years ago I had a major head injury and was paralysed down my left side. With extensive physio and hydro therapy I learnt to walk etc. again, but my right-side is still stronger, noticeably if I'm tired or don't concentrate and compensate when I'm swimming and start to 'curve' :rolleyes: One thing I've never recovered is the ability to write with my left hand. In fact my writing is probably worse than someone who is predominantly right-handed and tries to write left-handed, because I don't have the dexterity needed to grip the pencil and write.

So I guess I'm now right-handed ... :unsure:

Guest Lya of the Nox

i am left handed so is hubs, but he can be ambi if needed

both kids are right handed, but little un eats left handed

??

I was born entirely ambidextrous and would happily draw with both hands (often at the same time - it made the colouring in which I saw as pointless a whole lot quicker rolleyes.gif) and my 'speciality' was to do dot-to dots with one hand starting at '1' and going forwards and one at '99' and going backwards and meet in the middle.

that is a good way to learn tho mumble it is supposed to help with co-ordination write dance it be i thinks

x

Edited by Lya of the Nox

Me and Cal are right handers, but Lijey is a leftie, though he cuts with scissors using his left. His teach was gobsmacked!! At least that time, she was in that state for a reason other than my darling youngest tugging on her sleeve and announcing "I just pumped and my poo fell out"!!!! :lol:

I don't think she appreciated the hilarity her rather solemn phone call was met with!! :P

Esther x

Trust me to lower the tone!!! :thumbs:

I write left handed (with a Parker Fountain Pen most of the time). Eat the normal way round (knife in right, fork in left). Can throw and catch with either. If I play golf play it right handed (though last played when I was a student at school) and that may just be because we only have a right handed set of clubs. Foot wise I don't seem to prefer either and can happily use both, probably more accurate with my left but get more power with the right.

EDIT: When I broke my left arm though I wrote with my right for a while. Wasn't happy when one of the teachers wrote on my work it looked like a spider had crawled across it. You could read it at least. Was made to do that because clever clogs here decided to sign his own pot.

EDIT2: I'd love to know why schools buy left handed scissors though. Half the time I use the right handed ones in my left hand. Only advantage of the left handed ones is they are usually sharper. The grips are the same on both anyway. The difference is the blades are the opposite way round but I actually prefer the blades the right handed way as it is easier to see what I'm doing.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

EDIT2: I'd love to know why schools buy left handed scissors though. Half the time I use the right handed ones in my left hand. Only advantage of the left handed ones is they are usually sharper. The grips are the same on both anyway. The difference is the blades are the opposite way round but I actually prefer the blades the right handed way as it is easier to see what I'm doing.

I can't use left handed scissors. I adjusted to using right handed ones that by the time our school bought a few pairs of left handed ones I couldn't use them :rolleyes: