Sign in to follow this  
kirstie

NOT SMILING WHEN LAUGHING.

I know, it sounds a little bit strange but it's just a thought i'm having at the moment.

Does anyone's child do this? giggles or laughs without actually physically smiling?? (if you tickle them or they find something funny?!) I would be very interested to hear about it.

Thanks,

Kirstie.

That could be a sign that your child cannot imitate facial expressions because of so-called face-blindness (quite common among AS persons). Your child would have to be trained to recognize faces and expressions.

I have wondered about this - my son's actions are almost "fake" - its like he acts his emotions eg laughing,crying

I have no idea about why though ...

Thanks for your replies.

It's my daughter who is 12 months old.

Her slow development is the same as my 2.5 year olds was. (hes been dx with ASD) (have an 8 y.o with AS) she was born 5 weeks early but HV has said she would expect her to be sitting up by now. She is sniper crawling so is getting herself about. Its not so much that it's her face, she's so deadpan and SOOOOO quiet.The laughing withour smiling is just another thing that has worried me. She doesn't put her arms out to be picked up, she doesn' hold her own cup by the handles i seriously think she is following broters and i am gutted. I was desperate for a little girl having 3 boys already- and i just feel if this is the case, it will be the straw that broke the camels back. Not that i love my boys any less, of coarse i don't.

It just seems the worrying and wondering is endless.......... She has been referred to the Dr who dx both my Sons but i'm aware it's a bit early to tell if she is following their lead. How much is one person meant to take??

Sorry to hear that you're seeming to feel a bit down. If your daughter doesn't interact with you the way you'd have expected it, that doesn't mean that she doesn't love you. Of course she does. She might just be having a bit trouble learning the 'body language' babies normally don't have problems with.

If she's really dx'ed like her brothers then you still have plenty of time to prepare yourself for specific problems of girls with ASD.

Just take one day at at time or however that proverb goes.

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

Btw, we've got ASD (24), ADHD (20), NT (14) and again ASD (4) here.

Thanks so much ladies :tearful::tearful:

Having a girl is a whole new minefield in itself but the possibility of having a little girl with ASD, i have no idea about!!

The good news is that she has been accepted, alongside her brother to attend a respite group run for early years children with additional and complex support needs. Its for 2 hours a week and she'll get 1:1 and play in the little group. These are trained development workers and are amazing. My son has a brilliant time there and has come on no end. They also have hydro pool, sensory groups, group play sessions, outreach.

Today was her first session and she enjoyed it, as far as i can tell. :rolleyes: When i walked in to collect her she didn't barely look my way, the only way i know she recognised me was because she started kicking her legs- but her little face was as indifferent as always. (she also ignores me when i call her name, it takes a lot to get her attention. Hearing is ok though at newborn screening test)

Anyway, she's on the Paeds radar and time will tell i guess!

Kirstie my daughter now 7 was dx Aspergers last year. We had suspicions since she was small but for quite a while put our head in the sand( son is older and also ADhd and Aspergers) When she was a baby she would not look at me when I was feeding her. My hubbie thought that I was just over sensitive. Because of the family history the paeds were more open to it and indeed it was them that suggested that she be referred for an assessment. As she grew it became more obvious but I suppose only if you knew what you were looking at. She had extreme sensory issues with clothes. She was literal. She is affectionate but on her terms! With my daughter it is different to my son but I can see the crossover. If she had been the first born I dont think that we would have realised. You have a lot of experience and therefore you can help and understand her. If she is not dx she may still benefit from the same strategies. Tony Attwood has done a new version of his book and has quite a bit in it about girls. Good luck.