ryansmum2

How do you get involved with CAMHS ?

hi there,

im new to all this ,and i'm wondering how you get in contact with your local CAMHS, is it via GP/Consultant/or do you contact them yourself ?

What help can you get from them ?

My son see's Edsyc in school , consulatant every 6 months, OT and thats it, he's on School Action Plus,

We are having increased anger/mood swings , tantrums are very bad, and seem to be getting worse,more often, and more violent the older he's getting.

I'm wondering if CAMHS (what ever they are!) could help?

many thanks mel xx

Hi Ryansmum.

In some areas it is possible to phone Camhs and self-refer.However more often a referal is needed from a health professional.The easiest option may well be to ask your GP to do a referal unless you happen to have a good relationship with a health visitor.

In my experience just don't wait for school to do it.....it may be some time. :) Karen.

Hi, i asked GP, and then I rang and rang CAHMS ,til they got sick of me, I laid it on thick too, one thing you learn, and learn quick, hassle people !

Lisa

many thanks mel xx

It stands for Children and Adult Mental Health Services. You usually ask GP.

Enid

hi there,

im new to all this ,and i'm wondering how you get in contact with your local CAMHS, is it via GP/Consultant/or do you contact them yourself ?

What help can you get from them ?

My son see's Edsyc in school , consulatant every 6 months, OT and thats it, he's on School Action Plus,

We are having increased anger/mood swings , tantrums are very bad, and seem to be getting worse,more often, and more violent the older he's getting.

many thanks mel xx

Hi I would have it in writing and give it to your GP, that way it is in his medical notes, and request the doctor requests an urgent appointment due to his increase in violent behaviour, keep a daily diary and if you can video the incidents without his knowledge.

I have found Youngminds very supportive and they have a leaflet on the CAMhS.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/publications/...ealth-services/

Hope that things settle or that the help is there soon, good luck with the referral.

JsMum

We were referred by the paediatrician who was treating dd for constipation. DD has alot of anxiety issues and we talked about this alot also. The paed wanted to refer us and we said no, then at the next session she said come on, you have nothing to lose and asked me for a list of "concerns" about dd. I gave her one, she sent it to CAHMS with a letter requested assessment for Asperger's (which was a shock at the time, although probably not if you saw the list of concerns).

Anyway she told me to "lay it on thick" too.

We were refered by the GP and health visitor as the situtaion was quite bad, we still go now as it's on going.

We were referred by our GP yesterday and it couldn't have been easier. I just wrote down all my concerns, she agreed and did the referral. I always have a written list to pass to GP because I find it hard to remember everything, plus with two small kids in the surgery my mind is usually on preventing them climbing on the couch and playing doctors rather than talking. If you do this, put your name on and date it and ask for it to go into his/her notes too.