Sign in to follow this  
stressedmumto2

Can someone help please?

My child's paed is retiring next month, we recently had an appointment and today I recieved the letter which follows up the discussins of the appointment.

I don't know what to think of this, bear in mind I was in tears in the clinic, as it was a nightmare to get son to clinic and he just sat in waiting room, refused to even see the paed, I stated how behaviours at home are getting worse as are in school, PDA signs becoming more prominent as is the ASD, that I understand not all medaiction will help with this as it's part of his condition but that he and us really need help with behaviour/anger management and I also opened discusssion how I think the ebd enviroment is wrong.

It states that I had a discussion with mum about what maybe helpful for XXX in the long term and I have said in the short term medication is primarily helping hold the situaion, but xxx will ultimatly have to learn to manage himself. and that as he is retiring future follow up should be with CAHMS team and my son is being discharged from the clinic.

CAHMS are useless, they try to work with my son but as he refuses they can't do anything, they wont say that school he is in now is not meeting his needs because I feel that there hands are tied and when I ask about meds they always say we have to go back to paed.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do, do we need to stay with paed or should we just make use of CAHMS?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks in advance >:D<<'>

My personal opinion is CAHMS, not that I rate them much, but it makes other professionals take more notice and keeps them on theis toes! Enid

Hi

Does it have to be one or the other? I note you say your Paed is retiring - presumably he'll be replaced?

Have to say I'm not overly impressed by CAMHS either (so far anyway), but I'm prepared to jump through their hoops just in case someone somebody talks some sense and actually listens and takes things seriously. Thankfully, my son's consultant is fantastic. We see them both, hence reason I'm querying whether you have to make a choice.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir

Hi Cmuir, no choice, have just been told it will go to CAHMS who we have been involved with for ages and who whenever I bring up meds always say we need to check with paed. The CAHMS guy is very nice but very nice is not what I need, I need someone who will be a bit more proactive and who know's their stuff, all the CAHMS guy wants to do is send me back on Webster Stratton which I have already done or gives me sheets on relaxation breathing exercises!!

When I last seen CAHMS TEAM they were talking about discharging us as they felt there was no more they could do, lol and the last time CAHMS guy come to our home my son was in total meltdown for over an hour, broke two internal doors and he had no advice for me- he is a really nice bloke but doesn't have an awful lot of advice, I am not the only person in our area who shares this opinion.

CAMHS is a postcode lottery. In our area they pretty good, others have bad experiences.

I still think you would be in your rights to request that you ar transferred to another Paed though. I am sure his entire case load isnt being doscharged so you might want to ask what is happening to the other patients he looks after.

Simon

Hi Cmuir, no choice, have just been told it will go to CAHMS who we have been involved with for ages and who whenever I bring up meds always say we need to check with paed. The CAHMS guy is very nice but very nice is not what I need, I need someone who will be a bit more proactive and who know's their stuff, all the CAHMS guy wants to do is send me back on Webster Stratton which I have already done or gives me sheets on relaxation breathing exercises!!

When I last seen CAHMS TEAM they were talking about discharging us as they felt there was no more they could do, lol and the last time CAHMS guy come to our home my son was in total meltdown for over an hour, broke two internal doors and he had no advice for me- he is a really nice bloke but doesn't have an awful lot of advice, I am not the only person in our area who shares this opinion.

Hi,

I don't know how old your son is - my daughter hasn't seen CAHMS now for about a year (she's nearly 15 now) she was discharged even though at the time she was self harming and still is and aggressive and violent to family members mostly myself - this was witnessed several times by the CPN who tried various methods to diffuse the situation and to help calm my daughter - nothing worked and she felt totally helpless - they also told us that they would not prescribe any medication as it was not legalised for under 16 - they said they will probably arrange to see her when she's about to leave school for support then.

During some of the work with her because she was over 12 if she refused to co-operate or said she didn't need or want help with a particular thing then they told me they were bound by my daughters decision because she was over 11.

The consultant said that unfortunately they are not the experts in ASD - that CAHMS work with with a variety of disorders/problems and that really the parents are more knowledgeable as each child is an individual. They stressed that although they have strategies and support they do not always work with every child.

Personally for us we only saw the Paed. being good for investigative work and prescribing medication - he could not offer advice, support, techniques etc - so if given one or the other I'd have to say CAHMS - as they also have an array of professionals working for them.

Hope you get somewhere soon.

Take care,

Jb

It doesn't really matter who - paed or CAMHS consultant psych - both should be same level. CAMHS should have more expertise. The important thing in this is to get someone who will listen to you and back you up.

J's psychiatrist at CAMHS is fantastic - comes to school reviews etc. and they actually listen to her - if I say something, they will only listen if she says it too!

So I rate CAMHS HERE very highly, but even if yours isn't great, I would still say it is worth having a professional on side if poss.