Sign in to follow this  
helenl53

Parent Views presented to Panel

Hi Guys,

Been a bit of a stressful few weeks to say the least.

J got his draft statement and there were lots of things wrong with it.

1. complete ommission of information from speech and language report

2. time to meet his needs was not quantified. It was worded that "school would

meet his needs from SEN budget and that they would provide 5 hours

additional LSA funding. Although I checked - this was not specifically for J.

I named his school (small independent with excellent SEN support) at part 4.

Found out by accident, that Panel were going to decide about placement as LEA were going to oppose on grounds that his needs could be met at one of their own schools and it would therefore not be a good use of LEA funds etc etc etc.

As this panel meets in secret, I was concerned that the reasons for parents choice would not be properly presented. I felt that it was not possible for the officer of the LEA to wear two hats. Panel decided against us and I discovered that LEA had presented a letter from his previous school in which they claimed to have been meeting his needs. This letter had already been proved to be not representative of the truth at appeal against the decison not to proceed with Statutory Assessment. I argued with the LEA that the evidence that had been presented to the panel last year in support of the argument that his previous school had not met his needs should have been presented to the panel. I was assured that all information had been made available to the panel. I have since discovered that they took J's file to the meeting, but the panel did not look in the file.

I have been insisting on minutes or some kind of evidence that J and ourselves were fairly presented to the panel.

Today I got the "outcome sheet" and I am not surprised that we were turned down.

I quote : PARENTS VEWS: are adamant that Y is the only appropriate placement available for J, also questioning if level of support is enough"

I would have said that without having the background information for the request, that we have not been presented or portrayed correctly.

I note that they said that "consider naming T " as the school at part four. This was his previous school who let him down so badly!!!!

In any event the LEA did not name this school - they named one that is just down the road from us.

I fell very agitated that, although there is plenty of talk about parents having a valuable role in the decision making process, the reality is that unless their decision fits the criteria set by the LEA, then this is lip service.

I complained to the Director of Education last week and he responded yesterday with a letter which I found quite insulting. It was written in the tone, that I was looking purely for the LEA to fund an independent school for the sake of getting a private education for my child. I faxed back a strongly worded response to him and the head of pupil and parent support. I also telephoned the head of pupil and parents support who was initially very bristly and aggresive towards me. I asked her to please just "listen" to me. Finally, she actually realised what I was saying and it seems that she and the Director of Education may have just been a little "misinformed" about the details regarding J's case and my concerns and complaints.

We have agreed that the Panel will be presented with documents from us and others on 24th March, that we will have the quantification that we require and that a meeting has already been arranged to do this.

And guess what - in todays post, I had a response from the Director of Education who has said that he accepts that my concern was not financial and that he accepts my committments to meet my sons needs. He has said that my letter yesterday was helpful and that complaints about the process will be fully considered.

He concluded with the statement that "we aim to meet J's needs as well" and that he believes we will reach agreement on how best to do this.

I know this is a long post but there may be nuggets that people can take away with them towards their own battles.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but if this goes to Tribunal, then I don't think that the LEA would look terribly good - especially suggesting naming a school that had let him down.

Best wishes

HelenL

Helen,

Thanks for sharing your information... I'm sorry that you've had such a battle though...

The director's letter is something that you could use to your advantage in the future should you need to do so.

Well done for standing your ground, the other Helen x

Hi helen, well done you for fighting so hard for your boy. I'm so sorry for you that everything for all parents of special needs children have to fight to get just the basic rights, it makes me very sad. Especially as fighting with authorities is often the last thing you may have the energy or inclination to do but it just has to be done if the children are to get anything like what they need. Congrats again and let us know how it goes later in the month we'll be thinking of you. Kat

When we asked to see the minutes of the panel meetings, we were told that was not possible because the minutes covered all the cases discussed and it would be a breach of confidentiality re: other children. We did ask for them to give us just the section related to our child, but they couldn't manage that. I would love to see the minutes of those meetings.

We did send letters to the panels, giving our views, and these were supposedly read.

Karen

We did ask for them to give us just the section related to our child, but they couldn't manage that.  I would love to see the minutes of those meetings.

Karen,

Have you thought about requesting a copy of those minutes, by quoting the Freedom of Information Act?

http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/

Sorry, edited post - Not sure if the previous link would apply but here is another link for you to try if you're still interested in getting the minutes.

http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/...tual.aspx?id=89

Edited by Helen

These secret panels are something that has bugged me since our battle began, as we have had three of these so far, with no doubt more to come. I wonder what the new information act has to say about it? (Tried searching but couldn't find anything related to this). I think we parents should campaign for details of any meetings concerning our child to be made public. I understand the confidentiality issues when more than one child is involved but this sounds like the flimsiest excuse. It should be possible to make available to parents just the information which concerns their own child.

If these panels knew they would be more closely accountable for what they do and say they wouldn't make such ridiculous decisions...perhaps. :wacko:

Hi Guys,

I have been asking for a few weeks for the minutes. I was told that all information was shredded immediately after the panel meeting. I said that there must be a record of the discussion somewhere as it would need to be relied upon if there was a judicial review. They said no!!! I did not believe them.

I asked for minutes and internal memos under the freedom of information act - was denied these as they are outside the scope of the freedom of information act and come under Data protection!!!

I have kicked up a big stink because I have accused the LEA of being dishonest and selective in their presentation to the LEA - they have denied this , but now that I have been given the "Outcome Record" , my instinct is correct.

I am going to meet up with our local councillor again and discuss this matter. I also want to bring it to the attention of the Director of Education. There should be impartial representation of information to the panel. As the panel consists of paid civil serpents, then it is not confidence boosting to us parents that our kids get fair representation.

You have to really put your foot down and get shirty to get information - but I don't think that this is the right way for us to behave but we are left with no choice when we are faced with Government that is not "open".

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi Guys,

Just thought of something else and I know that Nellie may find the information quicker than me :wub: but surely there is a code of practice governing the panel.

HelenL

I don't have it to hand but there is something in the COP recommending that panels be transparent and accountable - it was in relation to statutory assessment - don't know about other stages of the process.

The only information I can find in the Code of Practice is;

1:7 which mentions - Partnerships can only work when there is a clear understanding of the respective aims, roles and responsibilities of the partners and the nature of their relationships, which in turn depends on clarity of information, good communication and transparent policies.

and

7:37 which talks about consistent and transparent decision making by schools and LEA's.

Thanks Nellie,

Paragraph 7.37 was what I had in mind: "...the role of these groups must be clear, public and open to scrutiny", also 7.29: " the LEA should react consistently to requests from parents, schools and settings for assessments and should subsequently make open and objective judgements as to whether a statement should be issued".

K

Hello Everyone,

Well the COP seems to apply to the Statutory Assessment decison making process - maybe the COP needs to be revised to cover all stages of dcision making.

Thanks to you guys for looking this up, but once again it highlights another inadequacy in the process.

Bset wishes

HelenL

Somebody did go and look at her son's file - she went to the Ed offices and they photocopied bits she wanted.

I can't be bothered now, as I got what I want, but it would be very interesting to see what happened. T's case went to 6+ panel meetings -we managed to find out when they met, and which ed officer attended - then we would call them up and ask what had been discussed.

There is nothing open and honest, or consistent about these meetings.

Karen