hedders

medical examination

Hi we made a parental request for our dd whos 7 and i was informed 3 weeks ago our case officer wanted to present our case to the panel which we havent heard yet but would be informed in may sometime if they would proceed.

Not sure what stage were at but i have recieved a letter this morning from her pead receptionist saying

Your child is currently in the process of being asessed for a statment of special educational needs and as part of this process your child needs to have a medical examination.

There is a period of 6 weeks during which all reports including the medical report must be submitted to the education department in order to provide help and support for your childs educational needs.

MY question is

What stage are we at?

What happens on a medical examination ??

Is this good news???

thankyou all

Edited by hedders

We had this as part of gathering the reports to see if my ds#1 would get a statement.

It was very basic - to do with his general physical health and they only wrote a paragraph.

I thought of it as a formality in our situation (no major health issues - just asthma and eczema) and not too important, just one of those things to be done. Obviously if a child has physical issues it would probably be more relevant.

When all the various reports are recieved by the LEA, they decide if your child will warrent a statement.

It may vary from area to area. In our area they only do this as part of the assessment process. We are lucky as the paediatricians used are usually those who do the autism and developmental assessments. Sounds like good news. When you call ask the medical secretary- they usually know how it works. Ours was a very thorough assessment and in fact higlighted that our son had autistic traits and recommened referral to a tertiary centre as he had a complex presentation. While this did delay a proper dx was in his best interests rather than a Statement that didnt deal with all his needs ( but we did have to apppeal again for that). There is a very good book by ACE about Statements which I would recommend.

Hi Hedders,

It sounds as though your daughter is at the Statutory Assessment stage, if so that's good news. You should have had a letter telling you this.

It would be a good idea to contact your case officer to check what the situation is.

K x

Good idea to contact the case officer will do, oh no! going back to her pead for medical examination on june 4th.

Last yr she felt that dd didnt need any intervention and she would outgrow her immaturities, my younger dd nursery have written to the pead as they want her to do a further asessment as she starts school in september

So looks like she will have to see both dds again