Sign in to follow this  
Yorkie

PICA - Help!!!

Hi Guys, only seem to post when I want something!!!

My lad has AS, SPLD & Dyspraxia (although apparently its not called dyspraxia anymore....) and very bad Pica.... Im at the end of my tether with this one and am terrified that one day he's gona eat something reaaallllllly bad........

At the weeked, he 'passed' a long piece of string (yes it was string, i had thought of other things and had to pull it to check - yuk!!) I absolutely flipped at school - which is another tale as he is meant to be supervised because of this, but this is the last of a very long line of things he puts in his mouth.

He knows he shouldnt do it, and knows its wrong afterwards but cannot stop himself. We've had him on a yeast free diet, maybe helped a little, he's practically dairy free anyway, the odd bit of cheese or if there is milk powder in something I cook is the most he gets. When we ask him, he just says 'but im hungry' which is a learned and much repeated phrase...... Thing is, he hides it from us as well, so he may be putting more in his mouth than we know..

Ive read that iron/B6/chromium/other minerals deficiencies can affect this, but also that Gluten free can help pica....

Any ideas please?????

Hi Yorkie,

Sorry, I can't suggest anything to you as my son doesn't have the problems you speak of... just wanted to send a few of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> your way.

Hopefully someone will come along soon with some ideas for you... glad to hear from you again, Helen :)

Edited by Helen

Hi Honey.......just wanted to say I am thinking of you........

Wish I had the answer for you.......sorry.

xxxxxxxxxx

:robbie:

Don't know if this will help but I have heard that trying to replace the activity with something else may. Your lad says he does it because he's hungry. is it possible for him to have a large bag of lettuce/cucumber/watermelon, so he could dip into that instead?? Or does he have a self-restricted diet? if he does don't know what to suggest but If he can have these low calorie mainly water foodstuffs with him thenmaybe that's a possibility. Would school allow it? Do they have anybody who can help you like a link worker? Could he understand a reward system - 1 hour= no pica then xyz .... then build up to longer periods. This may work better if presented in visuals as well as words with a social story. Hope this helps. love Kat

Hi Yorkie

Ive only just read your thread but can relate to it. My son is now 19 and has spent years putting inappropriate things in his mouth. I even remember him passing a partially inflated balloon (thank you school)

We have never been able to find an answer other than making sure nothing he may find edible is left in his reach. It can be difficult but I have to say that over the years he has greatly improved. He still eats bits of plant from the garden and drives my Mum insane when he visits her and insists of having a sneaky flower when no ones looking

Over the years I have tried to think of reasons for doing this. When he was younger he had a very restricted menu and would only eat sausage and chips but would eat playdough, glue, paint and plastercine by the handful if allowed. He suddenly started eating a more varied diet at about the same time he went to school (husband was convinced it was my cooking)

Im sorry I have no real answers to be honest I dont think there are any just a lot of theories. If you find any you feel may help, have a go but things will improve over time.

Take care

Loraine x

no suggestions im afraid, but just to say my daughter has pica and she was tested for lead deficiancy when she was 3 yrs old. back then i had no idea why she would eat strange things including her own poo! and i never knew it could be relevant to asd's