Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

ASD/ADHD meds and Hayfever

ANyone's child on meds and have hayfever? I have just had the pharmacist refuse to sell us anything, stating that we need to see someone who knows L well (e.g. GP) before they will give us any meds for him. (Un)fortunately(?), all the children's hayfever meds are kept behing the counter so we can't buy anutjhng without the pharmacist sayso.

So my son has to suffer now until we can get him to a GP. :wallbash::tearful:

(sorry if I don't make much sense, I've just drunk the best part of a bottle of wine. Thank God for Scghool teaching me touchi typing is all I can asy!)

Yes, been there. J has horrible hayfever and needs a combination of treatments because nothing on its own works for him. A couple of years ago when J was on the GF diet the GP advised us to discuss it with the pharmacist because his meds book at the surgery didn't have information on ingredients, whereas the pharmacist's would. We did find a gluten free product (Piriton) but even so, I found it very difficult to find meds that wouldn't trigger off his ADHD symptoms. All children's syrups contain sodium benzoate, lots of them have colours and dodgy flavourings, Piriton tablets even contained Sunset Yellow (I can understand wanting to make kids' meds taste nice, but not to make them pretty).

So in the end we settled for this combo:

He takes Piriton syrup and we accept that for the first couple of weeks of taking it he'll be high as a kite because of the sodium benzoate.

He has eye drops prescribed by the GP - he accepts them now but for the first two years I had to pin him to the kitchen floor and lie on top of him to get them in (sigh).

He uses Nazalese, over the counter non-meds barrier spray. He carries a bottle with him at school so he can have a puff before breaktimes.

Vaseline around his eyes and nostrils, again he can apply it as and when.

He also has local honey. Apparently honey from a 5 mile radius can build immunity to local pollens because it's made by the same bees who use it.

Sunglasses and a hat - more barrier.

If it gets too hideous and he swells up, I put cold water tissue/cotton wool pads on his eyes till they settle down, but so far this year that hasn't been necessary as the other stuff seems to be working.

I've just been told about another product available, an organic beeswax barrier along the same lines of Vaseline. I've ordered some from my local health food shop so if it works I'll let you know. Or you can PM me and I'll send you details.

Karen

x

I asked the pharmacist and he said to test one out, not on a school day as he thought "Piriteze" was probably the best one to use. T has meds too and so far he's been fine on them.

When I was pregnant I only used Beconase aqueous nose spray + eyedrops.

The spray acts (locally) on the nose, throat and ears and made it bearable. It has to be the aqueous version though, otherwise it doesn't work on the itching ears and throat.

I used to take Piriton, and it was only when I stopped that I realised how tired it made me. I now use Cetirizine and they are brilliant.

I used to have an ioniser in my bedroom, as that stops the pollen floating around.

Ryan gets it really bad only in his eyes though to the point of having gunk coming out all day long. He uses drops and pirtiton although I have to get him to the doctors as it is doing no good for him this year.

Luke takes loratadine. The branded ones are Clarityn, Clarityne, Claritin, but Sainsbury's do an own brand one. THis is non drowsey, and does not seem to react badly with his ADHD meds.

It does say on the box that it is not recommended for under 12's, but Luke was given exactly the same stuff by the GP a couple of years ago, so I am happy to use it.

Having said that, his hayfever seems to be worse this year. Hi eyes are very bloodshot and gunky.So I may and up back with the GP anyway.