hazma

Assessment tribunals

Hi We applied for a statutory assessment of sen for our 12 year old boy.He has struggled all of his school life,apart from two years at awonderful lower school.Well I sent in 12 pages of parental representations,but it seems obvious that school he is currently in have not done nearly enough in trying to meet his needs.Senco is out of her depth.Because of this I think we will be turned down,so my question is.Is is worth appealing?or waiting another 6 months to give the school time to get act together,and if we do appeal who attends a tribunal?

Forgot to add he has no official diagnosis yet.Peaditrician believes he has aspergers and/or adhd,he is also under cahms who disagree with pead.

Hi Hazma,

I had a similar experience when I applied for my daughter a few years ago - sent in loads of evidence, only to be told the school could do more with their own resources. This is a common scenario for statutory assessment refusal.

It's your decision, but I would say go for the appeal now. It will take at least four months to get to tribunal anyway, during which time the school may well get its act together, given the pressure of possibly having to account for their actions at a hearing. And you will have another few weeks to gather further evidence to support your case.

About half of all stat assessment refusal appeals don't make it to tribunal - the Local Authority sometimes backs down at some stage in the process. You may be lucky. I think you've got nothing to lose by going for it - getting the process started is simple, and you can withdraw any time you want. If you don't appeal now, and wait 6 months you may find yourself in the same position again.

The parents can take up to two witnesses to tribunal. Someone from the LA will attend and they can take two witnesses as well. Many parents take a supportive member of the school staff, and/or another sympathetic professional who has worked with the child. You can have a representative if you want to although it's not essential. The hearing is in front of a panel of 3, a chair and two lay members.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

K x

Id say appeal as well. Leas do seem to turn down requests for assessment at the slightest excuse ie schools havenent provided the proper paperwork etc to try and evade responsibility. Showing them you mean business does make a differnce and like kathryn said it takes so long for tribunal if you wait it could be almost 12 monthsie wait turned down, 4 months to get a tribunal date and what will that do to your childs educaton?

Thanx,I was leaning towards this(appealing descision).Anyway the panel meets to decide if they assess tomorow,well today now.Its 2.00am I cannot sleep. :pray:

Our case went before panel today and guess what we have been turned down for assessment!.Lady phoned to give me some details on what was discussed.He dosent meet the criteria for assessment,because school havent put any support in place at all. :angry: Yep! she actually told me that.She said the panel have serious concerns for his emotional welfare.They have serious concerns with the way the school is dealing with him,and the situation,and she is going to visit the school on Friday,and speak to the senco.They were impressed with my parental representations,(12 pages,)but the school could provide no evidence as to what they have done.Dont know what my next move is,waiting to have it all in writing.I cant understand though why my child cannot access the support that a statement would bring because the school and some teachers cant be bothered.She also said his IEP wasnt worth a hoot.Unbelievably innapropriate targets. Well watch this space,the battle has just begun,trouble is I dont feel remotely prepared for any of it! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: If that wasnt enough,my son overheard his senco telling another teacher "Oh apparently they(meaning autism,outreach and educational psychologist)are going to come in and tell us how to deal with him,I could think of a few ways!" :tearful: Feel like Im failing him as a mum,when I cant protect him and get him the education he deserves and needs. :crying:

Sorry to hear this Hazma. Judging by your previous post, this was what you expected, wasn't it? :wacko: The Panel rep sounds sympathetic, hopefully they can give the school a proverbial kick uup the backside.

You can still appeal if you want to, and you have two months to decide if you want to do that, so plently of time to see how things develpo at school.

K x