bid

Yoga

Who does yoga here, please?

If you have AS, do you think it helps in any particular way?

What is 'Integral Yoga'?

And what about the, er, anti-social side effects of all that relaxation, or is that an urban myth? :ph34r:

Boho :balloon:

I tried Yoga once Bid, a long while ago. Signed up for a course.....but I struggled with it. I just couldn't get into it at all........the more I was told to clear my mind and relax, the less I was able to do it. I used to lay there stiff as a board with a mind full of all sorts of rubbish :lol: I do know peeps though Bid who swear by it. I think it was just my personality type. Good luck with it!

But what about the *whispers* f*rting?? :ph34r::ph34r:

My colleague, who is a Reiki Master and Healer (hereafter known as His Boogliness), thinks I should take up Integral Yoga :o

Integral yoga (or purna yoga, Sanskrit for full or complete yoga, sometimes also called supramental yoga) refers to the process of the union of all the parts of one's being with the Divine, and the transmutation of all of their jarring elements into a harmonious state of higher divine consciousness and existence.

Oo-er :hypno:

Boho :unsure:

Edited by bid

You should know me well enough Bid to be aware that that is the norm for me :lol::lol:

Nobody did it in the class I was in, but I found the silence really strange, and you know what it's like, as soon as you have to be silent, in a room full of people, you suddenly need to cough, f*rt, sneeze........ :lol:

BTW, what's integral yoga? Don't understand the description :hypno: Can it be broken down into basic baggy language? :unsure:

Edited by Bagpuss

It was the tummy rumbling that put me off....

Thats why I could never be a Quaker. My digestive system goes into overdrive in a silent room :ph34r:

Much too slow and boring and much too quiet for me. Found myself contorting my stomach muscles so much in an effort to not make rumbling sounds that I couldn't concentrate on relaxing. Also found myself wanting to giggle.

~ Mel ~

I thought I'd start small ( ;) ) and I've been practising having an 'empty mind'...

Not difficult! :lol:

I couldn't do any kind of anything with other peopole in the same room :ph34r::sick:

Boho :blink:

Blimey, wish I could have an empty mind, my mind is stuffed so full of rubbish it regularly overflows, usually straight outta my gob! :lol:

~ Mel ~

I do :D

T'is wonderful, very good for you - both mind and body. I may feel the size of a house at the moment (bliddy steriods! - and bliddy cakes!! :rolleyes: ) - but i'm vaaaaaaairy bendy :devil::o:lol:

Integral yoga is more for the hippy's like me - who meditate as well :) It's basically a mixture of the two, but something you need to work up to.

As for the, erm.................other problems you mentioned..............i've never had it happen to me (thank god!) - but have been behind a woman who unfortunately did................. :sick: . Puts you off your pose i can tell you........ :sick::shame:

Do the normal,basic, yoga first - as well as the basics of meditation (but not at the same time...) and then bung the two together.

Vairy nice :) I always feel as though i've slept for a week after a session - and i'm very chilled out and happy for the rest of the day :)

Who does yoga here, please?

If you have AS, do you think it helps in any particular way?

What is 'Integral Yoga'?

And what about the, er, anti-social side effects of all that relaxation, or is that an urban myth? :ph34r:

Boho :balloon:

Here goes.

I am a yoga teacher, have been teaching Hatha/Ashtanga and yoga based on the teachings of TKV desikachar for 10 years.

ALL yoga that is posture (asana) based is Hatha yoga. weather it is dynamic/ashtanga, (lots more movement, flowing sequences, strength power etc) or Iyengar bassed primarily on postures. Integral yoga is just another way of saying that the style encompasses all 8 limbs of yoga (is anyone still with me) in other words, includes moral codes, postures, pranayama (breathing techniques) relaxation, focused attention and meditation etc. The vast majority of good yoga teachers will cover all these aspects whatever they choose to call there particular style.

Does yoga help AS?

well each to theire own i say. I teach many groups of people from disabled adults, to very fit athletic young people, and yes, some people with AS. Focus with the AS group can be hard, but when they get it!!! WOW, fantastic students. Helps with balance, co-ordination and strength (if you are hypermobile like me, will help to strenghen the muscles, thus protecting joints, also it can help with the basic understading of how to hold joints correctly, and not to hyper-extend)

Pranayama (breath control) wonderful for my DD when she has a meltdown, now she is older she knows that if she can slow her breathing, the nervous system will quieten down too.

There are so many wonderful positive aspects to yoga. Yoga means to yoke or join, the mind,body and spirit. So we feel at one with ourselves, and others.

Oh, and as for the F...... question. The answer is yes people do, yes I have, and as a teacher do I care..not a jot... we are human we all do it so what!!!!

Om Shanti

Harmony XX

p.s yes yoga teachers get stressed sometimes too. xx