ScienceGeek

Unable to explain things

I sometimes feel that people don't understand the severity of the problems that I face because I have a hard time explaining things verbally. My dr doesn't even know that my IBS was at the point that I wasn't making it to the toilet in time. You get so little time when you finally get to see the dr that by the time I can finally get some words out my allotted time is up. Then I think that if I typed up the problems that there wouldn't be time to read what I had typed. I just feel that I can express myself better in text than I ever could verbally. What do you think I should do? Keep going as is and not risk not getting the right help, or type it up and find they don't have the time to read it?

I like Pearls idea. But I think you should definitely write down what you want to say when you have to go there-he should have the time to read it, as long as you keep it to the point. Perhaps a short explanation of the problem and bullet pointing the main symptoms/problems you're having medically. Could you write a letter to your GP, explaining just waht you've told us? Any GP worth his/her salt should not have a problem with this at all. I've done it myself, as I have a bad habit of waffling and /or forgetting what I wanted to say.

Esther

She is a very good GP, the best that I have ever had. I've only seen another dr from that practice a few times and that as for emergencies when I wasn't able to get an appointment with her. It is rather difficult to get one with her as she is so popular! That probably would be ok to e-mail her in advance or write a short bit of what the matter is. I normally get to the appointment and find myself unable to speak or forget entirely why I was there in the first place.

I go armed with a list and just hand it to my GP. They're used to me now! :D Bullet points are enough for me - then GP can ask me about each bit in turn - and i can focus to find the words. If i know i'm not doing talking that day - i can email to request an appointment - and i normally ask for a double one.

I'm much better in smaller groups - and better still 1:1. Even then, i can take a while to process stuff - so quite often, people will turn away from me - coz they think i've finished talking :huh::( ! I suppose i don't help things by turning away myself :lol: although, i often do that in order to find the words.. I've turned back round a few times and begun talking to the back of someone's head! :rolleyes:

I go armed with a list and just hand it to my GP. They're used to me now! :D Bullet points are enough for me - then GP can ask me about each bit in turn - and i can focus to find the words. If i know i'm not doing talking that day - i can email to request an appointment - and i normally ask for a double one.

I'm much better in smaller groups - and better still 1:1. Even then, i can take a while to process stuff - so quite often, people will turn away from me - coz they think i've finished talking :huh::( ! I suppose i don't help things by turning away myself :lol: although, i often do that in order to find the words.. I've turned back round a few times and begun talking to the back of someone's head! :rolleyes:

Smiley, that sounds like a good approach. That sounds a lot like me, I take an incredible amount of time to process stuff, moreso when I'm struggling for words. I hate losing words as I can be rather eloquent when the words aren't failing me.

Frustrating isn't it! :wallbash:

I can easily do a talk to (AT, lol) 60+ people without batting an eyelid....... But, stick me in front of the same people, but with them wandering around me - and i've had it! Same goes for the food shopping *shudder*

>:D<<'>

Frustrating isn't it! :wallbash:

I can easily do a talk to (AT, lol) 60+ people without batting an eyelid....... But, stick me in front of the same people, but with them wandering around me - and i've had it! Same goes for the food shopping *shudder*

Don't even get me on to food shopping! That is an absolute nightmare, I'm almost a gibbering wreck by the end of it. I get really stressed if gf can't make a decision about something quickly so we can get out of there.. I don't care if there are so many kinds of cheese, pick one and scoot your bum along. It is a bit better since having my magic coloured glasses.

I don't care if there are so many kinds of cheese, pick one and scoot your bum along.

:lol::lol:

I've been known to say 'That's it - had enough - game over' And abandon my trolley and walk out :rolleyes: .

Best way to describe it............... Mention supermarkets - on Christmas Eve - at 3.30pm - and watch the fear creap across peoples face. Then go 'THAT - that's the feeling'........... :lol:

My dr doesn't even know that my IBS was at the point that I wasn't making it to the toilet in time.

Is this exclusive to IBS?? I get this probably twice a month i dont make it and the rest of the time I have very little warning. I'm glad i have an ensuite room!!

I go armed with a list and just hand it to my GP...................... and i normally ask for a double one.

All GP's should be able to give you double appoinments for more complex problems or more complex needs. I remember when i first realised i was ill in the head i had a double appointment and still didnt say what i needed to so had a third appointment in the afternoon!! All to explain "my heads broke" :lol: thats all i could come out with to explain a complete weekend of insanity!!!

I've been known to say 'That's it - had enough - game over' And abandon my trolley and walk out :rolleyes: .

I feel like that all the time in supermarkets!!! The only reason i dont throw the trolley away is usually by then ive got chilled or frozen goods so i panic that if i do a runner i will be arrested for criminal damage by allowing the goods to warm up!! ( i still remember the 20minute rule from when i worked at a supermarket). If a supermarket is full i just turn round and walk off as i come in the door :lol: Other wise i freeze up somewhere in the supermarket then wonder round aimlessly in a semi-dissasociative state not really aware of why im there and what im buying :unsure: Ive spent 3 hours in A*** once before looking for printer cartridges after i froze up and aparently was walking in a figure of 8 pattern round a set of ailes in the shop until a security guard prodded me on the arm :lol:

Any other shop i do just walk at will when it gets too much!! I dont cope with ques very well.

I was going to suggest a double appointment but Warren beat me to it. Bringing up too many issues or not coming to the point within the allocated time is something that gets most doctors backs up! Take along a written list as a prop by all means.

All the best.

Try not to worry about your allotted time being used up. Last week, I went to see the dr. Asked her to put my allergy meds on repeat prescription and was out of the surgery in less than 2 minutes. Lots of people only need quickie appointments like this, so they end up freeing time up for you to get the proper attention you need for your appointment!

I do think a written, or typed sheet is a good way to go. Your doctor will probably prefer this too :)

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to take in a written list of notes about what is wrong. I have done this before. I normally just say that I wrote it down because I find it hard to say. Normally he asks to keep it. He probably uses it as more evidence that I am a psychopath or something :lol: Either that or toilet paper!

If you have a lot you need to discuss, you can ask for a double appointment. I think they would get annoyed if you started doing that a lot, but if it would help to get things sorted once and for all, it might be a good idea to do that next time.

He probably uses it as more evidence that I am a psychopath or something :lol:

ha ha ha ha I think my shrink does this too :lol: I for a while wrote loads on paper but stopped doing it when he forced me to read it out