Sign in to follow this  
Faye83

Car Seats

Ok I admit defeat - how on earth do I get my 3 year old Autistic son into his car seat?

He point blank refuses to get in one. If by some miracle we manage to get him in his car seat he is out of it within seconds.

He doesnt have the understanding for reward charts/bribery etc and it is really starting to limit our travel especially now the summer is here and we want to go further afield.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance. x x

Make sitting in his car seat an area of special interest (I don't know how to do that either but it works with our ds (4) - he's never tried to unbuckle his car seat's seat belt). I think it's important that you yourself are not stressed at the moment you give it a try - start with a short distance (one you would walk normally) and if he unbuckles his seat, you take your time to stop the car, and talk to him. You could announce 'next time, we continue on foot' - and stick to your word, of course (therefore, start with a short distance, seriously).

Preferably there's a second adult in the car until he gets used to staying in his car seat.

I used to put a normal harness(does up at the back) on j and attatch that on a short rein to the car seat. He soon learnt that undoing the buckle wasnt going to get him far.

Have you tried taking the car seat out of the car and putting it in the house for him to get used to sitting on it. You could make it into a 'special' place where he sits and eats his favourite snack or he could sit on it while he watches his fav tv programme. Then, when he's happy to sit in it, he might accept sitting in it when it's in the car? Just a thought. Good luck.

~ Mel ~

we had this problem with our ds we put the seat in the house so he could sit in it indoors as well. then when he went up a size we turned the seat belt buckle around so he cold not push the red button. Also if he likes dvds you could try putting on his favourite one in the car to help keep him still.