bluefish

Thread worms

Hi I noticed ds had thread worms on tuesday and bought the recomended medicine. I gave him the stated dose 5ml but he gagged like mad even though I gave it by squit type suringe dose thing as he struggles with taste and it was banana!

all ok yesterday but tonight he has tread worms? been on nhs direct web site and it mentions do not let child suck thumb.. No idea how I can stop that as it is his main comfort. Not sure if he didnt get enough of the medicine down and thats why its not gone or his thumb sucking? He does not seem to be bothered and only reason I noticed is he still uses a potty rather than toilet. Anyone had this problem? I have read and re read the info on medicine and it states nowhere if you can re-take if problem not gone,just good idea to re-dose in two weeks.I am aware that you can not give me medical advise but wondered if anyone has had this problem?

I think it takes a while to work, my lot had them a couple of weeks ago (very itchy bottoms) so I bought the tablets from the chemist (chewy strawberry) and they said to be on the safe side it's best to take another lot of tablests after 2 weeks. The chemist said that I was the the 3rd person that morning to buy tablets for worms, she said these things always come in waves just like nits so don't think it's just because your son sucks his thumb, all kids get them but people don't talk about it.

I have a thumb sucker, and 2 nail biters so I have just resigned myself to them getting worms every so often and pop to the chemist.

Edited by Sooze2

Thumb sucker or nail bitter or not just ensure they wash their hand with soap and water after going to the toilet and before eating.

The meds take a while to work

In order to get rid of them once and for all you have to do the following:

Wash and iron all bed linen and towels (the ironing is important because the heat kills the eggs). Vacum anywhere the child may have walked without pants on (bathroom, bedroom etc). Do not wave linen around when you are stripping the beds because any eggs can become airbourne and you can breathe them in and swallow them.

Iron underwear and pyjamas (the heat kills any eggs not removed during washing.

Wear pants for bed to prevent night time scratching, and also to prevent eggs falling away if the child gets up to go to the loo at night.

Wash hands and scrub nails before eating and after going to the toilet.

Do all of the above for two weeks and then remedicate.

If you don't do the above there is a very high chance of re-infection. The whole family should be medicated at the same time and follow the above instructions. This really is the only way to get rid of them once and for all.

Flo'

ps... DON'T ask me why I'm such an expert :sick::lol:

hi all my ds had them last month ,,went to the gp we all had to take 5ml dose then repeat 2 weeks later,,,the medicine took about 2 days to work for ds,, me and the hubby had to take it as precaution,,but ds has no sign of any since,,always good handwashing after toileting and so on but very much like nits the kids pass them on easily due to holding hands ect,,,,,,,,,

Hi I may be giving you information that you know already...without going into detail at this time of the morning it is worth looking to see if the worms are alive :) Dead worms may well take a while to work through the system

If you do still have evidence of live ones then it is worth remembering that they are an inconvenience rather than anything else.

Thumb sucking does make infection more likely but as some children in every primary class have them they are difficult to avoid. :D Karen.

We have shares in worming medicine. I think it comes from my daughter every time because she sucks chews licks everything, even public railings benches handles etc. We have tried everything and none of them are clear from worms for long. We even took to steam cleaning their rooms. They each have their own flannels and towels which are boiled washed every time they use them. We only have one carpet, and that is on the stairs. They are more of a nuicence than anything else. After many years of repeated infestations we now have worm meds on repeat perscription!!

My DS was (is!) a thumb-anything sucker/chewer.

From the age of 6 until 11 he had threadworms with monotonous regularity :crying:

Chuckle: I once thought my DD #2 had them, and had to force her to take the tablet with much wailing...only to realise she had been eating satsumas and the white pith had sort of gone straight through!! :o:lol:

Bid :sick:;)

Thanks for all the advice.

At moment he still has them...and chemist said not to give medicine again for two weeks. I have done all of recomended ie clean ironed sheets,hoovering everywhere,hand washing etc. ds is a boy that gets naked the second he gets in the house and have been trying with little sucsess to get him to wear pants!! Hope they go soon!

thanks for replies