Sign in to follow this  
hev

im finding it embaressing

ive definetly got that face blindness and for some reason its affecting my life more,im not sure if its cos im aware ive got it now if you know what i mean?

today the avon lady came round,i know her face,purely because shes the avon lady and i associate her with that,she had a little boy with her and i said to him hello,how old are you?the woman looked at me weirdly and said hes my friends little boy,when he went i ask kate who it was and she said oh mum its kenny from my class!!ive seen this boy everyday since sept,he came to kates birtday party,lives in the next road and i didnt know who he was!!if i see him with his mum i know who he is

yesterday i was talking to a lady at the school,been talking to her for ages when we pick kids up from dance,anyway when i walked away she said oh i saw your dad down club today :blink: then i clicked that it was the same woman who goes to dads club and i speak to her in the club as well!!if people are in different settings im just completely thrown

the thing is i dont want to go oh yes ive got face blindness(forgot what its really called!!)dont really want to explain it,but its really upset me lately and im so aware of it

Edited by hev

It's called Prosopagnosia, so it's no wonder you forgot what it was called!

I have exactly the same kind of problems. Today I saw an old colleague, but I did not recognise him because he was wearing different clothes and was not in the place I used to see him. His face was familiar, but it was only when he came to talk to me that I was confident he was someone I knew.

It's unlikely it's got worse, I expect you're just more aware of it since you realised. You don't have to explain it all to everyone, you could just tell them you are really bad at remembering faces. That is what I say anyway.

Don't be embarrassed, Hev, most people would totally understand if you told 'em, and I think most would accept the explanation that Tally suggested too. I've kinda had a wee revelation having read that booklet too, as I think that Cal might be experiencing a wee bit of that too- he totally doesn't recognise his SLA's and such outwith the school, and thinkng about it, its once they start to talk that he clicks.....

I know its hardly in the same league, but I do sympathise as I'm dreadful with names, which can be horribly embarrassing.......... The good thing about getting older, I find though, is that people tend to be more forgiving, but then I'm so disorganised, I think they assume I'm going doo-lally and let me off the hook!! :rolleyes:

Hev I am the same, if I see someone out of their usual place or with a different person, I know i sort of know them, if you know what I mean, but cant place them, my family have joked about it for years, none of them are like it, I just thought it was because I am so unobservant (sp) an always so blumming preoccupied!! It has made me look foolish a couple of times over the years, and just this week,one of the pre-school mums whom I have know for many years, shes had 5 kids over a long period! started a job at the local spar, I popped in late at night, 8 ish, well thats late in my books these days :rolleyes: an I thought why is this new member of staff being so friendly and nice to me, then she started talking about her daughter and I had to play catch up, Its nicve to know it has a name, perhaps we are autisic too Hev. LOL. Enid

I don't think I've got proso, but I do have embarrassing difficulty recognising people out of context... ie often walk past people in the supermarket etc. Never remember a face unless they have distinguishing features...ie a big nose, are extremely beautiful, very blonde/red/black hair etc. Even then I have been known to get them mixed up with people with similar features, but once I know someone well I have little trouble recognising them.

Hev >:D<<'>

Flo' :D

Face blindness booklet coming out soon - and assessment method / treatment is now out on DVD available from Coventry University

DVD entitled "Demystifying visual dyslexia"

It is treatable in virtually all cases - we address it every day in practice - I will be speaking on treatment techniques at Autism medical conference in London in October at Royal Society

best wishes

Ian

Whats the difference between face blindness and just being excessivly forgetful???

I was like that at work, forget names not to mention forgetting who people were :lol: luckily all Officers have rank badges so i can say "sir" and the sailors had branch badges so i could work out where they work and often the junior sailors had name tapes too!!

people in civilian clothing is much harder. i recognise them but forget why.

Embarassingly i did this the first few times i met up with the girlfriend :oops: luckily i have a picture of her on my phone now and i know her much more so cant forget :lol:

Am I right in thinking Hev that like my son you also have Keratoconus (KC) The KC plays havock with his AS :tearful:

Cat

Am I right in thinking Hev that like my son you also have Keratoconus (KC) The KC plays havock with his AS :tearful:

Cat

cor kat youve got a very good memory :thumbs: im very scared to have the cornea transplant tho in case i leave steve and k with no mum,its a very real fear so i walk around partially sighted which dont help the face blindness!!

KC certainly does not help with face blindness. My son does not want the grafts either and he can no longer wear the lenses so he is pretty much in a similar situation to you :tearful:

Cat