Sign in to follow this  
hedders

We been failed by the system

BEEN a month or so ago that i applied for stat assesment for our dd who is 7yr refused because the school didnt provide any evidence as they have done very little over the last 3yrs.

Things did look promising as the school started listening from our request but they made promises they havent kept just to keep us quiet .

Senco was going to set up an IEP 5 weeks ago for dd so a better provision would be in place for junior school in sept they were also going to organise a meeting with LEA to move things forward

NEITHER has happened and she leaves next week !!!

Her sats results are in level 1 in all areas NOW we are being told that she would never of got the go ahead for stat assessment as she is on level 1

And worst of all they have said she hasnt got real special needs as she would be on W

She hasnt made progress in maths or science and remained on level 1 since last yr

English she has moved from level 1c to 1b but she isnt able to comphend and answer verbal questions.

After 3yrs argueing with medical professionals her pead said well she may be on the autisic specturm after all and will try and get her a place on cahms in sept - prob been fobb off again.

on bbc news web page under education seems to have weekly articles about the importance of speech and language therapy for children in schools this makes me feel sad as all i tried is to get her intervention but we keep being disharged as they wont listen so i might write to local MP with copies of the articles asking WHY for 4yrs i got to fight so hard and get no where

Edited by hedders

Unfortunately the system that we have seems to want to make the child fail before it will take action. I've seen this with both my two. With my son we got a stat assessment despite the school but that was because we had CAHMS on board had we not then I think that we would not be where we are today. THe only thing is to keep plugging away and get the evidence to support. Eventually you will have enough evidence. My son was dx by CAHMS as having a maths difficulty at age 7. School wouldnt listen. At age 7 his score was age appropraite. As things got harder he fell further and further behind. At age 10 he was dx as having dyscalculia. Now he gets the right type of support and is catching back up. Whty shou;d he have had to fail so badly damaging his self esteem.

Hedders >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I can only hope that the new school will listen to your concerns and put some support in place next year.Karen.

You have 2 months from the date you recieved letter telling you they wouldnt assess to appeal.We have just sent our appeal off.Same position as you really lots of promises made,none delivered :wallbash:

This is shocking. The school and its SENCO needs a good kick up the backside. Lucky for your lass shes about to move on (to a more understanding and effective school, fingers crossed) but makes you also feel for any kids with SEN still there. Cant help but think that Ofsted inspections are all too geared up to results, results, results, but if some of these schools where seriously interegated re their SEN performance then maybe things would start to change? Ah well, here's dreaming lol.

Vicky

Hi Hedders,

Did you know that you can write to your LEA and ask them to reconcider their desision, much like you can for DLA.

It is best to get a copy of all the info sent in by the other parties, just give the assesment team a ring and get that sent to you swiftly. Once you have this you can write a letter (sort of counter claim) for example where the LEA IEP (Indipendent Education Pannel) say things like from the evidence we have from ....... we see that A.. could cope at school Action or school Action + etc. Explain to the IEP that the school do not even have an IEP (wow too many IEP's are n't there!) therefore how can they(LEA) judge if she can function to the best of her ability without support. Explain how if she has a bad day at school it is at home were you get the problems, again like the DLA it is NOT the condition a child has it is the difficulties your child has accessing the school curriculum on the same level as their peers that is important. It can be a good thing not to give the diagnosise if you do not have a clear positive diagnosis, just make a statment of how your child acts in various situations, school, home and out in unfailiar places, Ideally you need to give examples of things that happen in these settigs that would not happen with an other child of the same age etc.

I am not saying this will lead to a positive outcome but you will never know if you do not try, this is my moto!

My theory is that these people at the LEA deal with loads of cases every day, and we really need them to realise our kids are real life people not just an other case, if we can make them see how our kids feel, laugh, cry ect maybe they will be able to understand our kids and support them when and ware nessesary.

Hope you get my drift

Anna

Am in similar position with my son and his school.

He is 12 years old and a level 2 in maths and english.

i put in a request for stat assessment and it was turnt down to the schools poor report..all that was sent in was a piece of A4 paper with his name, DOB and address

I had a meeting at the school with his paed, a autistic team, school nurse and senco and it was said that his reading age and spelling age had both dipped since being in their school.

It was decided to get all reports together and the school would apply for assessment.

This was in May and i am still waiting for them to move forward, senco say they are still getting all reports together!!

Its disgusting that our children have to struggle like this and fail so badly when if the support was there then at least they would feel a little happier at school.

Hugs and good luck!!

Erin teacher has done her IEP and given a copy to the junior school and spoke to them and also given a copy to her present SENCO !!!!

Basically she is far behind in her academic and since she has been recieving 1-1 support since reception yr she has become totally dependant on someone helping her and cant or wont try herself and hasnt made progress.

Her Speech and language diffculties are causing her alot of problems but even though i fighted in this area i was never able to get her any intervention and the slt team just kept discharging her, the teacher feels i should get another re-assessment when she starts junior school hr primary school also didnt provide any intervention.

The IEP feels a bit basic but she leaves on friday so i will prusue this again in september.

IEP is

Remebering and using number bonds to 10 - use of visual aids, posters (small group work)

Working on my own- ask questions think of stratagies - help from teachers and ta, senco

Speaking clearly in sentences- write sentences that make sense- read back sentences- help from teacher, ta senco

I would of liked social skills on her IEP but at the moment its not greatly noticable of the diffculties she having with peers

Makes me laugh what a waste of 3 yrs just shows no-one has listened not even the medical professionals unless they wait till children fail first.

Teacher said that dd is far behind others now.

Just spent all night writng a letter to her pead and one to lea

I now have written evidence from school that she was assessed start of year 2 on level 1b for english and maths level 1 for science and predicted level 1c at end of key stage 1 in all subjects.

A wee bit confused------- we have recieved her sats results for end of keystage 1 and she is only on level 1 no sub levels ??????? in all her subjects

So does that mean her previous assessment was wrong ????

Also has anyone come accross the teacher setting up an IEP and then giving a copy to the SENCO as she hasnt done anything

Edited by hedders