bikemad

Ds at cub camp

My lad has cub camp today n home tomorow evening if he lasts that long!!!!! Last night he was awake in the early hours with nightmares n headaches etc so didnt even know if he would go tbh. Got him to the cub hut n off he started crying n freaking out etc....in the end the only way to calm him down was for me to pretend to go in the car tho really id hid behind a wall so I could still see him itms. His pals mam n dad kept an eye on him n helped him with his bag to the mini bus at which point he was ok then once on the bus he started crying again this time he had a bad belly etc so one of the older cubs sat with him n by time they pulled off he was putting his all into smiling. Ive not heard owt at all so im assuming he is ok cos they said if he aint copeing they will ring me. I felt horrendous watching him go even tho he was smiling itms. :tearful:

What a shame bless him!

My son (8 1/2) is very clingy and hates being parted from me too.

At least you tried though, now he's seen what it's like he might get so himself upset another time?

My son 11, AS, went to scout camp in June. I was worried about him as he has never been camping before, he does not like bugs or the dark. He span out at the last night, what was worse, was because he was on Brownsea Island and he couldn't come home in the evening if he had wanted to, but he did manage it and got some sleep, and for that he was so proud of himself, and I was proud of him to. It was SOOOO hard watching him go and I tortured myself at the thought of him crying in the dark :tearful: but sometimes we have to let go and see how they manage. All mine have taught me that they can surprise me! He is saying he will go to camp again so it has not put him off completely :thumbs:

He is home with a raging migraine and sleeping in his bed which is not him cos he is usually climbing walls at midnight. The cow in charge argh she told me he should toughen up n i ought to be tougher on him!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

He likes the idea of going places but then when the time comes he freaks n dont wanna go-he is only happiest when he is in his own little world almost like he creates a bubble round him-the less he has to have to do with people the better.

It was his 1st time with them but he went to a camp with the chapel he goes to and has been away for weekends to my sisters and my parents but always by night 2 is ringing me to come home. It seems he is only happy if he is home and kinda in the bubble of his own little world itms.

He just woke covered in sweat so gonna give him a cooling bath now.

He sounds like mine used to be, before he went through this "tricky" phase :rolleyes: You sound like a lovely parent! >:D<<'> Enid

Awww. >:D<<'> Sorry it didnt work out but at least he had a go. JP hadnt been anywhere at that age so was v brave of him. Couple of years you might see a big difference. >:D<<'>

I think what really peed me off was the leaders attitude toward him-she was like well we did try to put up with him n his ways!!!!! Excuse me!!!!! O n the other kid there with aspergers isnt like J...errr no im sure he aint cos each kid is individual!!!! Ive since found out that at cubs they have called him a wus(sp) and big sissy cos he gets upset so easily. He tried n thats all that matters to me. He has asked now to finish cubs cos he cant do it n dont like the noise at the cub house and the names they call him so im going up tomorow minus him(my sister l watch him for me)and haveing words!!!!

Enid how long did this 'stage' last cos it is just kinda getting worse n worse this last year tho always been like it itms.

There is no such system where I am, no-one whatever that would take an autistic child, I'd love to see if my son could cope, because he hasn't really had the opportunity to try, and we'd like to know, you face a barrage of complicated and prohibitive insurance forms first, that make it clear they don't want autistics really. One wanted me there every day as well, there would be no point in going for that. Other LA - run 'activities' also demand the child did not stay without a parent there too. So there is no way to see really if he could cope, even with other 'support'. I'm against 'respite' as this always looks like an opt out to me, and LA's get suss you don't want your child or can't cope with them, at laest they infer it... we're made guilty at every turn.

[quote name='bikemad' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:48 PM' post='225

Enid how long did this 'stage' last cos it is just kinda getting worse n worse this last year tho always been like it itms.

Oh god bikemad you`re not going to llike this answer, 12yrs!!!!!!!!! :crying::crying:

O gawd lol....fair bit more of it to come then. :wacko:

M/M thats not good-at least these gave my lad a chance ok they wern't great with him but at least he had the chance!!

Ooo, Bikemad, how unfair of them! Not all cub/scout troops are like that, I think its like everything else-they're either diamond or they're disappointing. They shouldn't be calling him a wuss- do they know what AS is about?Och, at least he gave it a try, which is very brave of him. My big sister (NT-but completely dippit!! :P ) couldn't handle nights away from home until she was 11!

Hope things go okay when you have a wee word with the leaders.

Esther x

Went to see them this evening n tell them he wasn't going anymore-she proceeded to tell me id made the wrong decision n should push him to keep going and shouldn't give in to him and cocoon him n let him cocoon himself n im cosseting him too much!!!!!! Thanks for that info but he still aint coming back!!!!!!! He hasnt wanted to go for a couple of months but id kept him going til this kinda was the nail in the coffin itms-grgh...everyone else says dont be so hard with him yet she tells me im cosseting him!!!!!! :wallbash:

You just cant win sometimes! all you can do is do the best you can as YOU see it for your child, you may not always be right, but you will have done your best! :thumbs: difficult isnt it :tearful: Enid

Thats what I always say-ok I might not always get it right but the way I am is he has enough to deal with without being totally miserable doing something that he dont have to do itms.

Hi

hate to say this but my son is 17 and still has not stayed away from home :huh:

He would only go one school trips if I was one of the parents who volunteered to supervise some of the children.

He nearly went to Hornsea once, Mon - Fri, then just after I had paid for the trip in full, he backed out.

He'll be going to Uni next year, God knows how it will be if the local ones don't take him in and he has to go to one... say ...in Manchester/Liverpool/Nottingham.

I aint even gonna think that far yet!!!

Sue

xx