fiorelli

I have a shadow!!

well, I know I have a shadow - but I have gained another one...

L broke up for his holidays today.

I go to the kitchen, he follows me.

I go to the toilet, he follows me (but goes to his bedroom)

I come on the computer, he sits next to me.

I get a drink, he follows me

I go and sit in the lounge, he follows me

Now, I could cope with that normally, but the change in routine (i.e. him coming home from resi in the middle of the week) has meant that he is on a constant 'high', and as such, I'm constantly trying to calm him down, and stop him shouting at/annoying his brothers.

I suggest stuff to do, he tells me 'I don't want to'.

He says 'I'm bored!', I give him something to do, he yells 'I don't want to do that'.

By God, I need a break already!

Anyone got any suggestions to help him calm down?

sorry dont have any suggestions but reece is exactly the same it was like reading about us and i would also like some advice as reece keeps on hes bored and constantly jumping on me or licking me !!!!

and is sooooo hyper at the moment

love donna xxxx

Sorry but no! My son is the same, all the time. Everything he says starts with Mummy, so it's mummy mummy mummy mummy all day long here. Its usually annoying but it was his last day at school today and I'm sure that by Friday I will already be frazzled. His sisters will be copying too. :rolleyes:

Routine & structure.

Give him a choice of a couple of things that you know he'll love (or decide yourself if you know he wont be able to do it) - then stick 'em on a visual timetable (that could easily be a scrap of paper, i use small bits of paper - hole punched - held together by a key ring, etc) - so he has some structure to his day. I sometimes buy a special new toy (bionicle & spiderwick book today! :D ) at the end of term, and then stick 'em on the VT first.

Lil monkey gets like that - especially at the end of term. Once he's 'trained' back into the home rules and routine, he chills.

'Bored' in monkey language normally means - i don't know / i don't know how to say what's wrong.

>:D<<'>

O my god fiorelli that sounds identical to a post I was going to make lol. Only difference between them is my lad aint in residantial school!! It is driving me mental my head is thumping n im so stressed. My ds is more hypo than hypo itself n every 30secs it is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam followed by something-ive given up trying to do housework today cos its a no go. :wacko::crying:

My dd is exactly the same 5 years of it!!! i think its lack of imagination they can never think of what to do by themselves most times i do shout and say go and watch tv, play with something not a good thing to do but get very tired of not having my space

I know what you mean-it was getting like that earlier just felt like saying go do something please!!!!!

Hopefully he'll calm down soon. Ds#1 was really hyper and angry for the last few weeks of term and the beginning if the holidays but one week in he's settling down.

I've made a huge calender of the holidays on cardboard and hung it on the kitchen wall with the things we will be doing, there's not much on so far I need to confirm some dates with my Mam when we can take them swimming / to the beach, dp for when we'll go and see Wall-e (it needs two to take my two out) I was determined that this week would be a fairly quiet one so we can all chill out a bit.

My big problem is the house work - I can't get anything done without constant breaking up fights / settling squabbles / requests for food! I don't want an immaculate house but vaguely clean and tidy would be good - ds#1 is a great tidier but ds#2 can create havoc at a greater rate than I can tidy!

jlp that sounds exactly like my house i give up with housework. i do one room then go back 2 it in 10mins and reece has emptied everthing out everywhere again looking for something drives me batty then they r fighting as shannon dosnt want to do wat reece tells her to do..

he wont let her play on her own either.... shes gr8 at helping me and amusing herself but reece bless him follows me around constantly allways under my feet!!!!!

love donnaxxxx

Oh, arrgh, I'm in the same boat and bailing madly!! Not been helped in my house by the fact that the lad's dad has taken a strop with me and hasn't picked them up for three weekends now. And the fact that my youngest has hit the stage of being cheeky and trying to wind up his big brother without me seeing, so that when Cal flips, i blame him.... :wacko: Cal's not so demanding of my attention when we have a day out planned, but I can't afford to do that too often, and when he's exhausted our list of home activities, all I hear is, 'Muuuuuuuuuuummmmm' Arrgh!! Arrgh!! Still, once they're in bed I think to myself,'Oh, it's nice to have time to spend with them...'

And then the madness resumes next day! :P

jlp that sounds exactly like my house i give up with housework. i do one room then go back 2 it in 10mins and reece has emptied everthing out everywhere again looking for something drives me batty then they r fighting as shannon dosnt want to do wat reece tells her to do..

he wont let her play on her own either.... shes gr8 at helping me and amusing herself but reece bless him follows me around constantly allways under my feet!!!!!

love donnaxxxx

That sounds like here-ive given up trying to keep things tidy cos it is impossible-I just keep going round in circles n thats when im not constantly answering the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that ds keeps yelling!!!!!!!

yeah just becomes really tiring wouldnt b without them but its bloomin hard at times ....

goodluck everyone over the hols.....

love donnaxxxxxx

Thanks for replying all. It is comfortimg to know that others are in the same boat.

Isn't it funny thought how a child who normally shys away from people constantly seeks to be with you or by you in some way or another?

Well, over the last 4 days, we have grown into a sort of 'quiet existence'. Thankfully the weather has been kind to us, so we have been able to spend most of it out in the garden (we are lucky enough to have a large garden, not huge, but big enough for 3 boys to ride their bikes around without constantly getting in each others way).

L has sort of got himself into a bit of a routine. He gets up (usually on quite a high) has his breakfast and his meds (moderate release methylphenidate stuff), which take about an hour to come into effect (during which his brothers stay out of his way, and I make sure he doesn't hurt/damage anything. When he is finally calm, we go out and get out the bikes/swingball/balls etc and try and have some 'energy wasting' time. By then it's lunchtime, after which he has quiet time watching tv, and then he joins us back outside. By about 4/5 pm his meds are wearing off, and he has been getting 'high' again, meaning I have to keep a close eye on what he's doing. I must admit that he got so bad on one day that I gave him a 10mg ritalin (we stopped the afternoon ritalin around 6-8 months ago, but still have some left over from then - still in date)

He still follows me around, but not quite so much as the first day. I am sat at the computer now while he is downstairs watching tv. Which is an improvement. Although bedtimes are still a problem. I have to find stuff to do upstairs until he falls asleep as otherwise, he constantly follows me around 'I can't get to sleep' 'I'm not tired', 'I dont' want to go to bed', whilst having really bloodshot, tired looking eyes.

Ah well, only another 5 weeks to go...

Hope you're all bearing up ok, and holidays are going as well as they could be for you.

this is my house exactly , my son wont leave me alone for a second . i go to the bathroom he comes with me, i tidy , he messes immediatly, hes non stop all day ..im exhausted and only two weeks into the holiday .....at least we are all in the same boat eh !

Well, I have had 2 hours peace! I dropped him off at the local high school's 'Skool's Out' they do every year. Lots of structured activities, outdoor play, messy play, computers, drawing etc. He went a couple of times last year and seemed to enjoy it. If he has enjoyed it today, I will have to see if I can afford for him to go 2-3 days a week over holidays.