Sign in to follow this  
hev

any good social services out there?

ive got a very negative view on social services as in my case they have been useless but i just wondered if anyone has had any decent help with ss?

i cant even get them to respond to a request for assessment etc ..no calls no letters nothing ...terrible!!

Until very recently, I would've said 'NO', however SS have now recognised that we do indeed qualify for respite care. It's been a very lengthy process to get this far (about 18mths in duration, two assessments and a core assessment) but I would like to think that we're now 'on their books' and will begin to access respite care 'soon'. As everyone knows, it's all down to money and helping only those who shout the loudest, the clearest and the longest.

but I would like to think that we're now 'on their books' and will begin to access respite care 'soon'. As everyone knows, it's all down to money and helping only those who shout the loudest, the clearest and the longest.

Yes I agree, I had to go to a carers meeting I saw advertised in local paper and stand up and be counted, it really took it out of me cos I am not usually that kind of person, but I was desperate, so no, have NOT had good experiance with SS!! Enid

wow that makes my 10 weeks sound like nothing ....are people all over the uk having to suffer like this then...?

mine are good although due to recent budget cuts things a little differernt - last year the council gave us 8 days for the summer holidays in local playschemes plus 4 days from social services

the 8 days been cut this year so ive got 5 days for the school holidays but they have also given me 5 days for joe who is not dx yet. they were quick to assess. most parents i know do get quite a lot from ss here including respite overnigt etc. we are now all getting less but we still get a reasonable amount. we live in the smallest county in england

I have a good view of them NOW. It took a very long time to get them to recognise the need, the first battle was getting on the disability team. All in all it took about a year. The family support team are rubbish. It is getting better in our area, as we are one of the areas to get short break pathfinder money. This means more people who have ASD will get some sort of help and support. They are developing a beter locality service, so that more people can get the services they need without going through social services and complicated assessments.