Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Children's Disabilities Team.

Well, today I had a meeting with a social worker from the CDT. It was because I have requested a Yellow Card for L (don't know if they are called that everywhere, basically it's registering him disabled, which will entitle him to hold a 'yellow card' which is basically just like a discount card and can be used as proof of disability at swimming/cinema/theme parks etc) I had to go along to fill in a questionnaire (name, age, disabilities, what they are, how they affect you, whether you are in receipt of DLA etc).

Well, I must admit that she was a very nice lady. And I am afraid to say that the meeting turned out to be a lot more than filling in a form! I Blubbed. A Lot. All because she asked me 'What's he like?' We talked about lots of things. She has given me some advice (e.g. write down everything that the school say, and date it!). She looked shocked. She questioned what the LEA told me about no other schools in the area. She agreed with me. She Listened. She didn't (outwardly) judge me. She included L in the discussion, but I think she soon realised that L does have the disabilites that we say he does (I think she realised that on one of the first questions - 'What have you been doing these holidays L?' His reply 'Lots.' 'What things have you done?' L - 'Ummm....' at which point he looked at me to help him answer the question.

The outcome is that we came away with more than just a potential yellow card (She said we have to wait for her manager to come in on Wednesday and check over the form and sign it off, then we will have it at the end of the week/beginning next week). She is also going to look at whether they can instigate a Common Assessment Framework (she said ordinarily, they wouldn't be able to as L isn't 'severe enough' to come under the disabilites team) as she feels we need more support, and as all his 'professionals' have discharged him, we have no-one. she is sending us an application for the Family Fund (I had heard about this before but thought we wouldn't be eligible for anything, so never done anything about it), she's going to get the local NAS people to contact us (I've had no joy - no reply to e-mails/phonecalls), there is a Special Parents, Special Children parenting workshop that is run in the area, I asked if she could refer me onto it. She also asked if we had thought about extending L's boarding (we can't as the school he is at only provide Mon-Fri term-time boarding) because of the effect his violence is having on the family.

So, all in all, whilst our areas Social Services is absolutely appauling for those with AS, the Social Worker was aware of this ("There is a huge gap in the provision here") and tried to make up for it in other areas.

It was nice really, just to have someone to talk too. Who didn't judge. Who didn't try to belittle how we are feeling. Who didn't try to make me feel like we weren't doing our best to manage him, and help him.

Fiorelli

That's brilliant to find someone who listens to your concerns and needs and is willing to act on them and do their best for you.

Will keep everything crossed for you that her desire and willingness to help isn't cut off in it's prime and that it all comes to fruition.

You can download the family fund application from their website (link in jargon buster) to get the ball rolling on that; their waiting time is quite long at the moment (seems to be so at this time of year) so the sooner you get your application in the better.

Good luck and hope this all comes through for you.

Flora

It is always good to have some understanding at the very least. Our exprience of the disabilities team has been fantastic. At first we dealt with the family support and I have to say it was appauling. There was no understanding of the needs. They wonder why parents fight to get onto the disabilities team!!

Lets hope the support does not end there for you. >:D<<'>