KezT

Charitable funding?

Does anyone know of any charities we can try applying to for some funds?

Son has Aspergers, and is nearly 8 years old. Husband has various disabilities, including fairly severe arthritis. We do not qualify for income support, so can not claim any of the government grants, but equally I only work 21 hours a week and the money barely keeps the family in food - there is certainly none spare for major purchases (there are two other children as well)!

We would really like to buy a mobility scooter for husband so that he can "walk" son to school rather than driving him each day as he currently does. We feel this is wrong in so many ways - but equally, school has explicitly stated that son must be accompanied to and from school.

Just wondered if anyone knows of any charities that may help?

Thanks.

Kez,

hi, have you thought of applying for DLA for your son and your husband?

I think this opens up more avenues for support. like the family fund.

Nic x

<<I only work 21 hours a week and the money barely keeps the family in food - there is certainly none spare for major purchases (there are two other children as well)! >>

You could consider applying for , not only Child Tax Credits , but also Working Tax Credits. Usually you have to be working over 30hrs a week to qualify but as you have caring resposibilities then you qualify if you do over 16hrs per week. Give Revenue & Customs ( used to be Inland Revenue) a call on 0845 6060234.

Make sure you claim Disability Living Allowance for your son and partner.

If you rent , be it council or private , get in touch with you local coucil as you might also qualify for Housing Benefit.

Also consider Council Tax Benefit which is arranged through the council.

I presume that you were turned down for income support because you work over 16hrs but it is possible that your partner might be able to claim it though he would have to declare your work and it would be offset by other benefits or income coming into the household.

if you decide to claim other benefits get help with the forms from Citizens Advice Bureau or a disability right group as they know how to interpret the questions and answer them accordingly.

Hope that's been of some help to you.

Jannih

Hi Kez

Ignore that phone no. for Inland Revenue as I gave you the number for Jobseeker Direct by mistake. It should be 0845 300 3900.

Sorry about that.

Jannih

Thanks Jannih and Nic, but we do already get DLA and Child Tax Credit. I'm pretty certain we get all the benefits that we're entitled to - I've spent enough man-hours researching it!!! as well as checking in with the CAB:)

The benefits cover the food & clothes and my salary covers the mortgage. Our total income puts us beyond income support (Husband gets Incapacity benefit) and therefore any of the DWP grants, which don't take into account expenditure for a family of 5, two disabled, just look at household income. We're better off tha we have been in the past, but there is no way we can afford even a second hand scooter, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any charites that might help out.

I'll keep researching - I'm sure there must be one out there somewhere!

Hello, there is contact a family they have a full list of charities that you could access, http://www.cafamily.org.uk/

There is Family Fund which would help get things for your son.

http://www.familyfund.org.uk/

Your local disability team could apply for a mobility scooter if he was assessed and in need of one.

There is a book at the library that has lists of different grants, here is the title.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Grants-Indiv...g/dp/1903991528

Your CAB are good for helping you further look into grants too.

Hope that this helps.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks Jannih and Nic, but we do already get DLA and Child Tax Credit. I'm pretty certain we get all the benefits that we're entitled to - I've spent enough man-hours researching it!!! as well as checking in with the CAB:)

But have you tried applying for Working Tax Credits which is different from Child Tax Credits .

Jannih

Does your husband qualify for mobility DLA, this could be used to place down a monthly payment into a scooter, many stores that sell wheelchairs and scooter except DLA mobility payments, you could look into this.

JsMum

Hi Kez,

Cerebra give funding for kids with Asperger's, have a look at their website, I know kids in this area who have got trampolines and things, they also have a holiday home.

Maz