TAH-M

Year 11 worries

My son was diagnosed with SPD/Aspergers earlier this year. Having turned 15, he is going into the dreaded year 11 tomorrow and to be frank, I am am genuinely concerned about how he, his sister and I will cope with the next 12 months.

According to others we had a relatively easy passage through diagnosis/DLA award etc (though it took well over 18 months to get all the hoops jumped through for the diagnosis it did prove to be rather clear cut when push came to shove ). It is SO difficult as a parent to equate that your son, predicting A's and B's at GCSE still figures that "being caught red-handed" must have something to do with a leaky fountain pen or a can of red paint!!! How he is coping at all with English comprehension etc is absolutely beyond me & how an examiner is supposed to sympathetically decipher his scrawl is another issue.

I would appreciate comments/messages from other parents with children of a similar age or professionals. Despite diagnosis etc I do not feel that we are getting support from the SENCO at school especially in regard to the sitting of formal exams - but maybe I am expecting too much?? What help COULD/SHOULD I hope for (a little extra time on some exam papers?, a "mentor" in school?, some help with transition?, breaktime? ). He sat GCSE exams last summer in French and Science and was placed in a separate room from the main exam hall, but didn't receive any extra time. Apart from this, we have NOTHING beyond one meeting in school and a growing mountain of unanswered e-mails! It would therefore be helpful to have some feedback from others, to enable me to tackle school in a slightly more determined and positive frame of mind this year!

He has only just finally fallen asleep under his bed as anxiety has taken a real hold for the coming day - and I can tell you that my levels are none too low either - is it too late for a glass of wine do you think?

I have struggled to get the school to do much for my son, even though he has had the dx since Yr 6.

He usually does tests in a separate room, but last time they didn't do this (cos there were only 12 people doing the test, so they didn't see the point!).

I have been trying to discuss possible exam concessions for two years, but I am still none the wiser. It is very hard to get to speak to the SEN person (even though she is R's tutor too).

It is possible to get various concessions eg: use of a laptop, use of a scribe, transcription, extra time, but the school has to apply and provide evidence (within a set time).

Try here:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/publishe...RAG%2007-08.pdf

Hi Tah-M,

We have had similar problems with our daughter she's just started yr 11 also.

To be honest she's been particularly good with school this past year or so (compared to her first two years) but unfortunately since returning this year she is getting extremely stressed and suffering severe panic attacks and has just been referred back to CAHMS because of this (she is already worrying about what will happen after school - college - job - marriage? !!!! everything).

We actually had a review meeting yesterday at the school getting ready for this final year - and following a visit a couple of weeks ago by the epilepsy nurse she told me that my daughter can have extra time for her exams - I mentioned this yesterday at the meeting - I'm not sure what is available as they didn't actually say but they want 'medical' letters stating why she should be given this - she also said that this needs to be a.s.a.p. as the mock exams are in Dec and it needs to be in place by then.

I wouldn't normally know what to do in this situation i.e. who to ask or what to expect them to write - but have rung the E nurse today who will sort this out for me. No-one has suggested that she would get it for her ASD - although I know how stressed she gets and how she struggles also with interpretation of questions - plus her writing is extremely slow - but yet it's not been mentioned at all by anyone.

Hope you get somewhere soon with your requests.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

my son has just entered 6th form (year 12) so hes completed exam year you are both mentioning. You can apply for your child to be assesed for additional help and time. My son and a few pupils at his mainstream grammar school were assesed one morning well before mock exams.

He has an IEP and diagnosis of AS/ADD but was graded as able to cope in allotted time. Thankfully he did well in his GCSE's and we were all thrilled. We had had difficulties in previous tests, but your children will experience many exam like situations in this year and I'm sure teachers will guage from reactions if any additional help is needed, you can definately get 20% extra time, use of a laptop and/or a scribe in certain situations and someone to prompt or reword questions for pupil. I dont know about anxiety strategies as my son seemed so laid back he was almost horizontal ?! I suppose I should be grateful.... i probably panicked far more than he did :rolleyes: