Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Maudsley Hospital Asperger Service

I'm putting this here rather than Beyond Adolescence as I think some parents might know the answer and be more likely to see it here - hope that's OK.

I'm being referred to the Maudsley Asperger Service for ongoing support (not dx). I'm trying to find out something (anything) about this unit/clinic as I feel very unsettled by 'not knowing' but having gone through both the South London and Maudsley NHS and Maudsley Hospital websites I've found nothing - lots of other clinics but I can't find the Asperger clinic for adults (I found an autism clinic for children and an ADHD clinic for adults but not an asperger/autism adult clinic).

Does anyone know anything about this service and how I could find out more/have any web-links? I'm really scared as looking through the clinics I could find, many are inpatient/residential and I'm terrified about going into hospital. The trouble is I don't really know why I'm being referred (other than that the person I've seen once within the counselling service provided by my uni decided she couldn't cope with me and that she was too challenging (:huh:) for me) and what the referral is for and I have a massive fear of hospitals :tearful:

Any information at all would help me feel a little more settled - thanks :)

Hi all/Mumble -

Just a quick reminder. Any general info on the service etc is fine to post here. Any specifics/personal experiences etc should be shared with mumble via PM.

Mumble -

I don't know much, other than that the Maudsley is one of the chief diagnostic centres in the SE and generally has a very good reputation... the only other diagnostic centre in this area that I know of is the NAS one, and they offer no adult support services at all beyond dx (at least they didn't a few years back, though that may have changed).

Hope that's helpful

:D

And if you were being sectioned, they would not be hanging about with a referral.

I think you need to wait until you hear from them. Then you will have a contact name and address/phone number to ask any questions.

Even on an intensive scheme of therapy, as a voluntary patient, you are likely to have the flexibility of going as a day-patient.

I'm being referred to the Maudsley Asperger Service for ongoing support (not dx). I'm trying to find out something (anything) about this unit/clinic as I feel very unsettled by 'not knowing' but having gone through both the South London and Maudsley NHS and Maudsley Hospital websites I've found nothing - lots of other clinics but I can't find the Asperger clinic for adults (I found an autism clinic for children and an ADHD clinic for adults but not an asperger/autism adult clinic).

Hi Mumble,

it's called the Behavioural Genetics Clinic.

Jannih

Hi Mumble,

it's called the Behavioural Genetics Clinic.

Jannih

Thanks, found it, it's where I feared I was being sent :tearful:, so I shall be having words with my GP - looks like the counsellor was wrong anyway and I can't be referred by her as it has to be tertiary level - which my GP thought. Wouldn't it be great if service providers actually talked to each other occasionally? :rolleyes:

Thanks, found it, it's where I feared I was being sent :tearful:, so I shall be having words with my GP - looks like the counsellor was wrong anyway and I can't be referred by her as it has to be tertiary level - which my GP thought. Wouldn't it be great if service providers actually talked to each other occasionally? :rolleyes:

I don't think it's anything to fear. Behavioural Genetics Clinic is an umbrella term for autism/aspergers/ADHD Clinic for adults. I believe it is the only NHS clinic for adults in the whole of the country.

Jannih

Well, today's the day ... 4 hours, 42 minutes till I face my doom :tearful:

I'm pretty much totally terrified, didn't get much sleep and have all sorts of physical stress symptoms plus it's impacting on my actual medical condition.

I understand what has been said above but it doesn't make it any easier to rationalise in my head that I'm not going to be locked up - that's what I'm so fearful of (and that they say they can't help either and as this is the last option I'm left with nothing) - because my brother was locked up by the same people because of a lack of understanding of his autism, plus they'll have details of the really low period I went through last year when I was seen by one of their psychiatrists.

If I'm not around tonight, please send shovels, torches and other tunnelling equipment to:

Mumble

c/o The Nasty Men in White Coats

Maudsley Hospital

Greater London

Edited by Mumble

Well, today's the day ... 4 hours, 42 minutes till I face my doom :tearful:

I'm pretty much totally terrified, didn't get much sleep and have all sorts of physical stress symptoms plus it's impacting on my actual medical condition.

I understand what has been said above but it doesn't make it any easier to rationalise in my head that I'm not going to be locked up - that's what I'm so fearful of (and that they say they can't help either and as this is the last option I'm left with nothing) - because my brother was locked up by the same people because of a lack of understanding of his autism, plus they'll have details of the really low period I went through last year when I was seen by one of their psychiatrists.

If I'm not around tonight, please send shovels, torches and other tunnelling equipment to:

Mumble

c/o The Nasty Men in White Coats

Maudsley Hospital

Greater London

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Mumble it is ok to feel anxious about seeing a new person.

It is very very unlikely that they would admit you.It is even more unlikely that they would lock you up.

I live in a different part of London however in my area there are no beds most of the time so admission is very much a last resort.

I hope the appointment enables you to get some helpful support .

I will send tunnelling equipment but will not come to help......I don't want those men in white coats to assess me. :lol: I have tea to cook.

:tearful: I didn't like that. I didn't like that at all. :tearful:

Keep the tunnelling equipment on standby, they're proposing a 12 week course of 'treatment' (hate that word ) provided the PCT comes up with funding which they said I might have to fight for/have someone to advocate for me to get it. Oh well, I should be safe, I think I've had more than my share of funding so they're unlikely to say 'yes' without a fight and I don't have anyone to do that fighting.

:tearful: I didn't like that. I didn't like that at all. :tearful:

Keep the tunnelling equipment on standby, they're proposing a 12 week course of 'treatment' (hate that word ) provided the PCT comes up with funding which they said I might have to fight for/have someone to advocate for me to get it. Oh well, I should be safe, I think I've had more than my share of funding so they're unlikely to say 'yes' without a fight and I don't have anyone to do that fighting.

Hmmm... don't reject it out of hand... i heard they were experimenting at Maudsley with a new 'chocolate diet'... it has to be dairy free, of course, but other than that bob's yer uncle and fanny makes doughnuts. It's something to do with endorphin rush, flavonoids (like adenoids but taste better) and antioxidents or somesuch, but basically the theory is it doesn't make things any easier it just makes you happier with it :)

Hope the funding comes through, and the 12 week treatment even if not chocolate based is the Good Stuff.

L&P

BD :D

Mumble please dont worry about men in white coats locking you up!!

Read up on the mental health act and mental capacity act if you are still worried. Theres a LOT of criteria to be met as well as safeguards to protect your rights not to mention compulsory treatment is always a last resort.

Hmmm... don't reject it out of hand... i heard they were experimenting at Maudsley with a new 'chocolate diet'...

*uses the tunnelling equipment to get back in* :lol:

To be detained under the Mental Health Act you must

be suffering a mental disorder AND is being/has been ill treated, neglecyed or kept otherwise than under proper control OR living alone unable to care for self.