Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

I have to find a new school for L.

I had a phonecall yesterday from L's headteacher.

He couldn't apologise enough - again - for both the handling of the annual review, and of comments that have been made to us by both himself and his staff that have - in his words (and we agree) - "must have left us very concerned". He said in no uncertain terms that L just isn't capable of mainstream, that he is just too vunerable. So they would certainly NOT be looking to re-integrate him there.

He said L is responding well to the structure of the school, and that although his behaviour is really good in school, he believes this is why, along with the small classes and high adult support (3:9/10).

Academically, he said that they done some more tests on L at the end of last term. He said that L's reading age is 'functional' - i.e. that he can read (not everything), but it certainly isn't fluent, or expressive. That his spelling is 3 yrs behind, and that his maths is a major problem and a cause for concern. However, he said that L is very hardworking and that he is doing exactly what he is capable - that he isn't capable of doing anymore (that was hard to hear :tearful: )

He said that L does not belong in a "school for essentially naughty children", and that we should be looking to move L on sooner rather than later, and certainly before high school transition. He has said we should look at calling the annual review this term, and I have an 'informal meeting' with him set up for 24th Sept. to discuss all this in more detail and decide what to do.

Oh Heck! How on earth do I go about finding another school? How do I go about discounting the ones that we don't feel are right - in a way that the LEA will agree with and understand - and legally as well - somehow, I don't think 'We just don't get the right feel from the school' will go down too well! Can anyone tell me who classifies the 'grade' of learning disability a child has? I was looking at websites last night, and they were classified (amongst others) as 'Moderate', 'Severe', 'Complex', then you get the ones that mention ASD - but seem to do it as some sort of afterthought.

hi was just woundering if theres someone involved with your son away from the school that may be able to offer some advice on schools prehaps ed phyc or learning dificulties nurse,any mums you may know with child similar needs to yours id ask to visit all possible suitable schools next wk get someone to come with you so you can see for yourself class sizes support provision support at meal times break times dont worry about offending anyone with choosing which you think s appropriate, tell them your childs education and well being are the most important thing and they have a duty to provide the correct environment for your child as well as the correct level of support hope you find somewhere to suit its really stressful isnt it but once their in the riht place it will all be worth it >:D<<'> >:D<<'> good luck how can lea argue with change of school if head teacher thinks child isnt suited where he is, has your child got statement if they have lea have legal duty to provide appropriate schooling even if out of area all the best

Edited by single autie mum

Yes I agree - visit all the ones you can reach if you can't or don't want to move, and don't worry about presenting it - that can come later. Of course it must feel right. If it does, there'll be someone there who will help you make the case.

Good luck

Sarah

Thanks for replying SAM, I will be seeing L's CAMHS psychologist on 2nd October and will discuss it with her then. She too has the same views re. L not being able to go to mainstream just yet, so I should be able to get some advice from her. I will be going to look at school, but my problem is cutting down the amount of schools I have to physically go and look at. The schools in our LEA's area go from the Isle of Wight in the South, to Basingstoke in the north, to the edge of the New Forest in the West, and Rushmoor in the East. (I know of a child that travels from Portsmouth to Andover - at least 47 miles! to get to school.) So you can just imagine the sheer amount of schools I need to discount (thankfully, all mainstreams will be discounted straight away, cutting the list drastically).

I don't think the LEA will challenge a change of school. They will, however, try and give him something unsuitable (in my experience, they do not like paying for out of county/private schools, so will argue black is white to get your child in a school of their choice.)

If you PM me the ones you are thinking of, Fiorelli, I will tell you what I know about them and add anymore that I can think of.

I looked at the web-sites, Ofsteds and got brochures first. Then went to visit schools that might be suitable, taking copious notes that I could use to make my arguments for or against. I will PM you my list of questions. Do take someone with you to take notes, as when you come out you forget things.

MLD covers anyone who is just below mainstream level. SLD is severe (usually IQ under 70), CLD covers MLD + SLD + ASD (basically anyone not in mainstream). When you visit however, you will find there are big differences even amongst the MLD schools in how they are run. I am thinking that maybe the LEA think he is more than MLD, as they didn't suggest that at the beginning (suggesting the EBD school instead).

Are you looking for a Year 6 placement for asap or for a Yr 7 placement for next Sept? The choice for the former will be limited at this time of year, but you are in a good position for the latter.

It sounds like the school is behind, so that will help.

Thanks Kazzen, will pm you if that's ok?

We will be looking for a yr 5/6 placement (he has just started year 5).

I recieved another call from school yesterday. From his teacher. I'd called to see how he got on in his first week (turned out fine apparently), and find out what topics they will be covering.

I found out that they have actually put him BACK in maths... The poor thing, after finally getting to go to a classroom with children his own age, now has to do several lessons with a teacher and class he had 2 years ago! I'm getting sick of the ineptitude of this school.

Hi fiorelli -

no advice on negotiating that long list of schools the LEA might consider suitable, but I think a good method from day one is the 'completion backward principle' (sorry, an old business-speak cliche and an equally cliched TUBES album title, but it does work in a fashion). Find the school (or eve better a couple of schools) you want L to attend and consider appropriate, then provide evidence that emphasises the particular strengths, attitudes, skills, facilities etc of those schools in relation to L's needs. The more boxes you can tick (especially ones that canot be ticked in other schools) the more liklihood you have of getting the LEA to agree.

Hope that's helpful, and very best with it

:D

Baddad, that would be the ideal way wouldn't it? But it is fast becoming apparent to me that the LEA bod wasn't lying to me at the beginning of the summer holidays when she told me 'there are no other schools in our area that will meet your son's needs' when she answered my question 'Are there any LEA run schools other than ******** (school he's at now) that deal with Aspergers and ADHD that will meet his needs?'

I am now down to 3 schools. All day schools (no boarding facilities), 1 is within 10 minutes drive (and heavily subscribed with a waiting list), the others 50mins/1hour+ drive away. I think I now need to look at out of county provision... Then private... (at least I think that would be the 'route' the LEA would take.)

I have a headache.