Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

medical pest

i have multiple issues that have been 'quirks' until i got my AS diagnosis, and now i feel they ought to be looked into (probably should have before but i didn't have the confidence). however, i feel like i'm constantly pestering the doctors with yet more things that aren't a matter of life and death - in the last couple of weeks ive been to the doctor for AS, asthma, hypermobility, sleep problems, allergies and an eye infection. the last appointment i went in with a list with 6 different things i needed to get sorted! the problem is theres more waiting, and i'm starting to feel bad and that the doctors are going to think i'm making things up. everything ive been with has wound up in a diagnosis or treatment needed, so its not my imagination but still... how many times can you see a doctor before they label you a time waster!

did anyone else with a late diagnosis find this?

erm, as youve been getting diagnosis and/or treatement they will NOT think your a time waster. Maybe think youve been silly letting everything build up or think your thier "problem child" cos at the moment everything seems to be going wrong!!! But thats just how doctors think!!

Anyway, A+E is for life and death, and GP for everything else so your talking to the right person.

If you're going to see your GP and he/she is then discovering that what you've gone with is genuine then they can't really call you a timewaster :D. Now if you were going with 'concerns' that turned out to be nothing then you'd risk being called a timewaster :shame:

If you're worried/concerned about something then it'd definitely best to go and see the doctor...that's what they're there for after all :thumbs:

Yeah, I have seen way too much of my GP this year. I have had difficulty getting people to believe me in the past (probably due to undiagnosed AS), but my GP seems to believe me, though I still get this nagging doubt that he is only pretending to believe me.

Medical problems do not need to be a life and death situation to be genuine and severe. If you are getting diagnoses and treatment, then it seems your concerns have been genuine.

Maybe it's worth mentioning something to your doctor.

You can always book a double appointment if you have a number of things to discuss.

Hi NobbyNobbs,

I have a similar thing but the other way round - my daughter was under the Paed practically from birth for various things - and each time she saw him (normally every 3 or 6mth appts until she was 11) I felt like I had other things I needed to mention, it was her eating, her constipation, her eye infections, ear infections, chest infections, feeling or being sick, headaches, itching, acid reflux, pains in her feet and legs - although when she got to about two years old I felt that he totally didn't listen to me at all and thought I was an overprotective, paranoid mother - I even thought he thought I had Munchausens.... (not sure of the spelling but you know what I mean) so I stopped mentioning anything because I thought that what she had must be normal and that everyone had those problems but just got on with it........

She was diagnosed at 11/12yrs old and after diagnosis - the Psych. said that we had a very hard road ahead because doctors will always question exactly what she is feeling because of her ASD.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

well ive just had the first of my referrals from the nasty doctor who said it was all in my head. and it turns out i have severe hearing problems in one ear and have to have a brain scan to see how much nerve damage so they really do need to stop acting like i'm some big time waster. from the doctor who said AS didn't exist to the most recent one who told me to get some friends and stop obsessing over things that weren't real... they're wrong not me :D :D :D

Edited by NobbyNobbs