Sign in to follow this  
nellie

Centre for Studies on Inclusive Education.

CSIE is the Centre for Studies on Inclusive Education. It is an independent centre working in the UK and overseas to promote inclusion and end segregation. It is funded by donations from trusts, foundations and grants.

http://inclusion.uwe.ac.uk/csie/index.htm

This site has lots of useful information on education including SEN law and procedures.

Thanks for the link Nellie

You are right that the site has a lot of useful information, but I am not sure about the aims of the site.

As shown by the struggles of our autistic children and those of so may others, mainstream schools are not always the best place for autistic children. So many mainstream schools are failing our children and a political push for an 'end to segregation' means an overwhelming assumption on favour of mainstream education, to the point where a parent has to fight tooth and nail to get their children into special schools.

Sorry to sound negative, but as far as Autistic children in education are concerned, organisations like this are doing far more harm than good.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I really have to agree with Mossgrove, My own child was in mainstream, she was unhappy was separated from her class mates for most of the day, she could also escape and nearly made it out onto the main road but still the lea thought she was best of there, after a 6 month battle she is finally in a special school and is a different child, shes calm, happy, concentrating on her lessons, using far more speech and is around people who encourage her, belive in her and dont focus on what she carnt do.pooky

I agree with you Simon. Inclusion for some Special Needs children is fine, but i don't think that it is always right for children with an ASD.

We have to fight tooth and nail now for places in a special school, if they all close what will happen then! :shame:

Simon,

Yes, I agree with you, I did think long and hard before posting the link.

My decision to post it was on the basis that everyone has a right to make up their own mind and the information was too good to ignore. Believe it or not there are some parents and voluntary groups who are very keen on inclusion.

Thanks again for raising the issue.

Nellie

Thanks Nellie.

It is a difficult decsion, I had a similar issue myself a few weeks ago concerning a site that had useful information for relatives of people with ASD's but took (in my view) completely the wrong approach.

Believe it or not there are some parents and voluntary groups who are very keen on inclusion.

It's not all that hard to believe. If you are lucky enough to have a child at a mainstream school that does a good job in dealing with children with ASD's it's the natural thing to think, and for some disabilities it is definitely the way to go.

What gets me under the collar is the current thinking where LEA's are effectively being told to say "The solution for your child is a mainstream placement with aprropriate support, from within the schools existing resources" before they have given any thought to what the childs needs are.

Simon

Hi All,

I am pro choice but I think what does stick in the craw a bit is that we are not being offered any choice for our kids - its inclusion or nothing.

I have a friend who has a son who is considered as being "included" successfully in a mainstream school. he has full time 1:1 and does not mix with his peers at all other than he is in the same classroom as them. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but this is not inclusion - this child has what amounts to a nanny as the teacher has very little to do with him. Nevertheless, although this is my opinion, his mum is really happy that he is in a school with other children who live in his neighbourhood and he also has cousins and siblings who go to the school. The school have been trying for some time to suggest that he would be better placed in a Special School - mum is adamant that he is not to go to a special school.

Mum has been able to express freedom of choice but with the majority of our kids, there is not the choice to be able to express the freedom of it!.

We have such a flawed system and we all have to chip away as best we can.

Best Wishes

HelenL

Hi,

My daughter and husband are just going through all these decisions at the moment with our grandson, as Joe is due to start school in August. Although special schools/units were not suggested until my daughter asked, as soon as she asked, provision was made for her to look round them in order to make the best decision.

We did feel that the professionals would get 'brownie points' if Joe ends up in mainstream but to be fair they have given my daughter every opportunity to make an informed decision.

I feel it is just so difficult to make that choice and it is a huge decision for people who already have alot on their plate, all this coming only 3 months after getting Joe's diagnosis. In view of this it has even be suggested that Joe may stay at nursery until his mum and dad make their choice at least until Joe is 5 (another 3 terms away).

So here in this part of Lancashire it seems people are getting choices, but maybe this is because of the severity of Joe's language problems. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if the family hadn't mentioned special education. Before my daughter looked round the special schools she had no idea that they could cater so well for children with problems like Joe's.

Choices only exist if you realise there are options available.

Joe's gran.

Edited by Joe's gran