Sign in to follow this  
julie1

TA course

hi everyone, I have just started a TA course at college and im interesred at finding out how much is geared towards children with SEN. I am doing this course so that i can then do the Elklan training course, which will help my children. I have been told that the only way i can acess the course is if i am an LSA or a TA. so i will learn how to be a TA. I will keep you posted as to how much i will get taught on SEN. bye for now...

hi everyone, I have just started a TA course at college and im interesred at finding out how much is geared towards children with SEN. I am doing this course so that i can then do the Elklan training course, which will help my children. I have been told that the only way i can acess the course is if i am an LSA or a TA. so i will learn how to be a TA. I will keep you posted as to how much i will get taught on SEN. bye for now...

Hi julie1,

As Kazzen161 pointed out you don't need any qualifications to be a teaching assistant.

It all depends what the school is asking for.

Ideally you need to have a recognised qualification in literacy and numeracy

Once the school employs you it is up to them to see that you recieve the appropriate training for the job you will be doing.

You could be doing whole class support or 1to1 with a pupil or small class support.

EG: 1 to 1 support for a pupil with ASD.

If you have qualifications, experience or knowledge of a family member with an ASD this would help you get the job.

You could also get the job if you don't have knowledge or experience of ASD but are willing to have training which the school will pay for.

Hope this helps.

Julieann

hi julie dont know if it will be any use to you but the charity cerebra do a free home learning course for parents of asd kids and other disorders im thinking of doing it myself you can pick the units you are interested in so you can help your asd child it looks ideal for parents who need to arm themselves with knowledge about their child, their rights etc. Hope this of some use to you best of luck take care >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks for your replys. I have been told that i have to have T/A qualifications to do the Elklan course. This is run by our local speach and language dept. So wish me good luck i havent been to school for myself for many many years , and its a little scary. Im sure i will be fine.