Sign in to follow this  
Suze

Potato breakthrough.

Well I thought I,d post something a little bit light hearted, and positive :thumbs: .My son has always been very fussy(understatement), where food is concerned.As a baby he was very sickly :sick: , he was difficult to wean and would,nt have anything with lumps in it.His food was still pureed when he was 3 :shame: .He then went on to have a very limited diet which over the years has become a little varied, but not much.Vegetables have always been a big no no, pizza, chicken, bacon, sausage, chips,cake and yogurts are what he lives on.............no fruit either.He had a lot of sensory problems going on with taste and texture and very often he would vomit food straight back if he had food with a funny taste or lump he did,nt like.This developed into a real fear of trying new foods.

.........However today I thought right ..enough is enough...............lets have a go with a jacket potato :devil: .

...........he has recently started having small very crispy roast potatoes so I thought he might go for it.

.............well when I told him he was getting chicken and a jacket potato for tea , I was met with..."you bl**dy c*w"...... :shame: ..... he was not very happy as I was insisting he was,nt getting anything else and that if he did,nt like it he could leave it , but that was what he was getting....he did,nt have to eat it but just try it , I was asking no more.Anyhow I dished it up and his face was thunderous, .............he said it was disgusting, ..........and he was never eating another one..............but unbelievably he ate most of it :hypno: .............he did leave the skin......... (we can work on that later :devil: )............I caught his eye as I took his nearly clean plate and he rolled his eyes at me and gave me a scowl that actually looked like it might turn into a grin :lol: .Anyway I told him I,ll buy him his fave tractor spottting magazine tomorrow as a reward :party: , but he does have to go to bed early tonight for calling me a bl**dy c*w! :rolleyes:

..............edited to add he is 13 now , and we,ll be giving a few more things a try too.I must say I think this positive step with trying new food has come about because he is older now , it has definitely got easier.When he was younger the mere mention of potato would have sent him running for cover and he would,nt have even tolerated potato on his plate or near his food, this in itself would have made him vomit, so todays potato feast has been a real step forward.

Edited by Suze

hi

thats great does he know its a veg :lol: big well done also you can have a chill if he is going to bed early :pray: i had a break through also on fri we went to pizza hut and ds had garlic bread with cheese on god i fell off my chair which he found highly amuzing :devil: you feel realy proud when they try somethink different :P

theresa

Well I thought I,d post something a little bit light hearted, and positive :thumbs: .My son has always been very fussy(understatement), where food is concerned.As a baby he was very sickly :sick: , he was difficult to wean and would,nt have anything with lumps in it.His food was still pureed when he was 3 :shame: .He then went on to have a very limited diet which over the years has become a little varied, but not much.Vegetables have always been a big no no, pizza, chicken, bacon, sausage, chips,cake and yogurts are what he lives on.............no fruit either.He had a lot of sensory problems going on with taste and texture and very often he would vomit food straight back if he had food with a funny taste or lump he did,nt like.This developed into a real fear of trying new foods.

.........However today I thought right ..enough is enough...............lets have a go with a jacket potato :devil: .

...........he has recently started having small very crispy roast potatoes so I thought he might go for it.

.............well when I told him he was getting chicken and a jacket potato for tea , I was met with..."you bl**dy c*w"...... :shame: ..... he was not very happy as I was insisting he was,nt getting anything else and that if he did,nt like it he could leave it , but that was what he was getting....he did,nt have to eat it but just try it , I was asking no more.Anyhow I dished it up and his face was thunderous, .............he said it was disgusting, ..........and he was never eating another one..............but unbelievably he ate most of it :hypno: .............he did leave the skin......... (we can work on that later :devil: )............I caught his eye as I took his nearly clean plate and he rolled his eyes at me and gave me a scowl that actually looked like it might turn into a grin :lol: .Anyway I told him I,ll buy him his fave tractor spottting magazine tomorrow as a reward :party: , but he does have to go to bed early tonight for calling me a bl**dy c*w! :rolleyes:

..............edited to add he is 13 now , and we,ll be giving a few more things a try too.I must say I think this positive step with trying new food has come about because he is older now , it has definitely got easier.When he was younger the mere mention of potato would have sent him running for cover and he would,nt have even tolerated potato on his plate or near his food, this in itself would have made him vomit, so todays potato feast has been a real step forward.

Awwwwwwwwww bless his little soul!!! Jay has same problems and has only recently started eating peas, raw carrots and sausages, chicken nuggets, but wont touch other veggies or fruit ( just had a breakthrough with raisans- cant spell lol)

it is such a good feeling whent hey dont gag on something new...he deserves such a huge cuddle!!

im smiling for you and i think you have a little star there! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yay Suze :thumbs: That's great, well done your ds, and well done you for sticking to your guns (you bl**dy c*w :o:lol: )

:dance:

Flozzie xxx

Bl00dy cow! Now that's Ben's idea of dinner (well, medium rare and preferably rib-eye or sirloin)... he does like a jacket spud with it, though (and leaves half of the skin :shame: ) and a naice salad 'n' stuff...

Well done that man (and mum for sticking to her guns)

At 13 he's probably just getting old enough for a bit of psychology... don't say it outright, but just casually allude to the fact that over the next few years he'll probably be going out to eat more, and the more options he's got the better time he'll have. Nothing worse than going out to lunch or something and having to plump for a work-a-day rissoto or something 'cos the menu is a bit limited. And it'll probably be 'gritty' 'cos the rice isn't cooked through :(

:D

:thumbs: my p is 9 and is a terrible eater, lives on baby food ,doesn;t like lumps either.so his red spagetti mix is ground up mince ragu :whistle: i have got him to try a Mars cake which he likes and a Rocky caramel biscuit.

Well done Suze!!!

It is such an achievement to get any kind of move forward with food (well i have one who eats anything and one who has all the sensory issues) - I got OJ to have an omelette with the usual bacon and cheese BUT he tried a slice of fried new potato in it - said it was ok but nothing special - I don't care whether it was special or not, he tried it and thats what counts!!!

Stella x

thats fantastic! well done to both of you.

food is a huge issue for me if someone put that down to me i would simply choose to go without, i can go for about a week with no food, if their is nothing i like available to eat. But when that happens I get very tired, with no energy and very headachey.

So hopefuly things will be better for you and your son.

Thats fantastic and also gives me hope lol...my lad has sensory issues with food n barely eats a thing im sure at times he lives on air!!!! He has recently discovered he like beefburgers but only a certain brand n only the ones with added onion but heyho id pay �10 for one burger if he eats it lol.

thats fantastic! well done to both of you.

food is a huge issue for me if someone put that down to me i would simply choose to go without, i can go for about a week with no food, if their is nothing i like available to eat. But when that happens I get very tired, with no energy and very headachey.

So hopefuly things will be better for you and your son.

That sounds like my ds!!!!!

Well done to both of you. Marcus isn,t too bad regarding food as long as it isn,t in anyway sloppy. Anything in a sauce and he freaks, doesn,t like gravy, custard etc. The only exception is ice cream and yoghurt but we are now having issues with yoghurts as he doesn,t like the look of the cartons and the way he can,t get them completely clean :huh: (he has real issues with having a completely clean plate no crumbs at all drives DH mad). He doesn,t drink any milk or anything hot. I recently tried him with spaghetti bolognaise and he will eat it sometimes happily but soemtimes moans like mad, he won,t have spaghetti only pasta twirls. On the whole i am happy to indulge him but Dh gets annoyed and says he makes too much work for me to which I reply if I minded i wouldnt do it. It sometimes surprises me what he will eat though, when we went gluten casein free some of the food was very bland but he seemed to enjoy it.

I agree it gets easier as they get older. L used to eat virtually nothing except pasta with pesto since the age of 2. At 19, although she is vegetarian, she eats a wide variety of foods and will try almost anything new. She loves eating out. Actually her favourite pub meal is a baked potato with cheese.

I hope your son goes on to try more things, Suze. :)

K x

My son only started eating any veg about 4 years ago.

He has been at a residential college for the last two years where they are very keen on all things organic and home grown - so lots of veg and fruit for meals.

I took him out for a meal a few weeks ago and he chose roast (meat and potatoes have always been his favourite). It was "help yourself" and he amazed me by choosing to have some carrots and broccoli. I was stunned - it's only taken 19 years!!

Well done! I'm still working on potatoes. My son can't stand chips!? He has lots of sensory issues and is really particular about food, but also unpredictable.

However, last week I got him to eat various things that really surprised me, including vegetable curry! Secret for us? Raging hot chilli sauce. He even ate stir fry (green beans and baby corn with tofu) tonight because i put chilli sauce in it! I'm gobsmacked! I think we've made a breakthrough!

:dance:

Sue

Thanks everyone for your replies :thumbs: ..............I really wanted to post to offer a little hope to parents who have fussy eaters :blink:

............it was only a few years ago that if a chip was tooo fat(ie too potatoey) he would,nt touch it, they had to be slim chips :whistle: .

..........also I think my sons sensory issues around food have got easier for him the older he has got, definitely some form of de-sensitisation has gone on.

..........our next challenge is the dreaded CARROT!

Wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo :thumbs::notworthy:

Well done that lad, and well done that mum for being a bl00dy cow! ;)

My sprog tells anyone who will listen that he HATES tomatoes, and HATES cheese.

His favourite dish...... spag bol :wacko:

Pizza Hut.............. "I want a plain pizza" --- with me promptly almost yelling at woman when she was about to say "just cheese n tomato then..............."

You gunna tell him, or shall i?? :ph34r:

Wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo :thumbs::notworthy:

Well done that lad, and well done that mum for being a bl00dy cow! ;)

My sprog tells anyone who will listen that he HATES tomatoes, and HATES cheese.

His favourite dish...... spag bol :wacko:

Pizza Hut.............. "I want a plain pizza" --- with me promptly almost yelling at woman when she was about to say "just cheese n tomato then..............."

You gunna tell him, or shall i?? :ph34r:

hi we have same prob if they call it cheese and tom we sort of sing over them :blink: so he cannot hear them it is called a sauce pizza to him and nothing else will do, he eats so little varied food that i cannot afford to lose the sauce pizza, i think peeps think i am barking mad when start singing but hey i will do out to protrct the food he does eat :lol: i realy hope that it is true and he will eat better with age, never even tryed a veg.

theresa

I think some will improve with age.

I don't seem to have improved with age though! At 26 i still barely eat anything.

Well done to you and your son with the jacket potato.It really is fantastic when they do something new.This had given me hope for my 7 year old who still has to have baby food mixed with mashed potato and then blended up to make it totally pureed.