Sign in to follow this  
sarahponari1

OMG she is using the toilet!!!!

My youngest daughter who is 3 and a half was dx with ASD in March this year, she has shown no signs at all of being ready to be toilet trained and i thought it was never going to happen, but she started nursery a few weeks ago and the past 2 days the nursery have taken off her nappies and said if she wets herself every time it doesnt matter but they would rather she is not in nappies, so all day yesterday and 2day at nursery she wet herself, then on accident earlier(well i think it was accident as she was abit suprised herself as well) she did a wee on the toilet at home!! She then sat on the toilet 3 more times since then and 2 out of 3 times she did a wee, and hasnt wet herself once since she did it!!! With most other things she has learnt she has been really quick at learning as long as she understands what she needs to do, so im keeping my fingers crossed that this is also another 1 of them things, now that she realises what the toilet is for that she might use it all the time. So fingers crossed for her she will keep it up 2moro, im just worried as she doesnt talk at all at nursery so im not sure if she will tell anyone if she needs the toilet.

Awesome! Well done to her, and the nursery too! (And your good self, naturally!!)

If she's non-verbal at nursery, could she have a card she can show to staff? With a pic of a toilet on it or something? Dunno if that would help, just a thought!

Esther x

She came home 2day with 3 lots of wet and dirty clothes in her bag and hasnt been to the toilet at all. She is also not getting upset at nursery anymore if she wets herself which she was before which could turn out to be a bad thing coz she wont mind if she wets herself. She hasnt done anything anywhere yet since coming home, so i still dont know if it was luck yesterday or if she will only do it at home but i should know more later on, as she is bound to need the toilet soon. If she goes to the toilet ok at home again today i will have to speak to someone at the nursery about it and let them know she is doing it at home, so they know as they might think im not trying at home and am just leaving it to them. And then i can talk to them about doing some sort of symbol or picture for her to show them if she needs the toilet, which if i also use at home then she will realise that is what the picture is for.

I was so happy yesterday when she went to the toilet 3 times ( i had to tell everyone lol) and today has just made me feel down again :tearful:

I think the picture card is a very good idea.

It took me ages to toilet train my son............

Sending you hugs >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Keep letting us know how she is getting on.

another thing to consider is is she seeing the toilets at nursery as different to the one at home? perhaps she knows what you do on the one at home so has decided to copy, but hasn't seen anyone in the nursery toilet so is getting confused. if she hasnt seen anyone else go, thats another tactic. lots of 'mummys doing a wee' and so on. i learned very early, but that was how i did it. there was a potty in the garden and i'd seen my older sister use it and must've decided that it looked fun, so i copied. worth a go anyway since social examples help with ASDs so much.

if shes getting comfortable being wet then thats a big issue. i had to toilet train 6 and 7 year old girls because they'd become so used to being wet they didn't care. in the end we did knicker checks and rewards if they were dry. we didn't punish for being wet because that encouraged secrets. they'd often come up and say 'smell my knickers' (lovely!) to prove they were still dry and claim praise and rewards.

Well i think she has actually got the hang of using the toilet in a way, i said to her just before i left her at nursery school to tell the teacher if she needed the toilet, they told me today that she has been on the toilet once, first thing this morning (so she obviously told someone) but after that had accidents, so now i need to try and make her understand she needs to tell them every time she needs the toilet as i think the way i said it to her made it sound to her that she only needed to tell them the 1 time, instead of everytime. Im not really sure how im going to do that as she hasnt got that good understanding to know if i just tell her "tell them every time u need the toilet" but at least i know she will tell someone at nursery and that also there is no other problem why she wont use the toilet there as she has done it once now. She did say this morning that it was too noisy so she didnt like the toilets, so i was worried that she wouldnt go in there because of that but she did it once so fingers crossed even for now if she will only do it once a day it is 1 less lot of clothes that she will be wetting!