Sign in to follow this  
saffronsunflower

Weighted blankets, does anyone use them?

Hi All,

I'm so glad i found this site, i just seem to keep coming up with more questions all the time!

Does anyone use weighted blankets? my son (Aspergers age 6) often has trouble getting settled ( don't they all).

He also falls out of bed a lot. I have read a little about weighted blankets helping them to feel more grounded.. does anyone have any experience with them?

My son loves getting what he calls a "sausage roll" where he gets tightly tucked into bed.

I think a blanket like this would help him continue to have that feeling.

If so does anyone know how to get a reasonably priced one, they seem to be so expensive.

Cheers

Nic

If anyone has any specific product/supplier recommendations, please can you share them by PM rather than posting on the forum :)

Thanks,

Tally

on behalf of the moderating team

Hi Nic,

Yes my 11 year old child uses a weighted blanket to sleep.

In fact hes just been away for 4 days to Malvern with the school and also took his blanket with him to help him sleep.

My son has a lot of sensory problems so we ended up making our own. As you can not choose the material first.

Its one of the best investments we have made.

But weighted blankets are not for everyone so if you can borrow one first it would be benefical.

Some people will put two quilts together to provide the weight. Hence, you could try this first?

Lyn

J has one, its a single bed size blanket and its quite heavy, I bought Js off a lady who has a son with Autism and she has many designs, I felt that the cost of her blankets where substantially cheaper than the onces on disability equiptment websites, I used Js DLA to purchase his, as its a theraputic, there is also Family Fund they would consider giving you finacial help for a weighted blanket.

Contact a Family also have lists of charities that would help you purchase a weighted blanket.

Im just passing this on in case others here are intested in weighted blankets and are worried about the financial costs of accessing one.

JsMum

My son and daughter both have one and my son's has definatly helped him, it was expensive but I do also think it's great value for money and as J's mum has said maybe you can get help with paying for it, I used my son's DLA.

If you do an older search of weighted blankets, there is a lady who comes on here occasionaly, I brought mine of her.

>:D<<'>

I'm going to get one when I have the money :clap:

I think you would like Js, would you like the website, I can pm you it.

JsMum

Could you pm me too please - my 15 yr old refuses to sleep without his "three season" (i.e. THICK )mummy-shaped sleeping bag at the moment - but stress (forthcoming exams??) = incontinence and that's a nightmare with the current sleeping arrangements!!

Many thanks!!!

Could you pm me too please - my 15 yr old refuses to sleep without his "three season" (i.e. THICK )mummy-shaped sleeping bag at the moment - but stress (forthcoming exams??) = incontinence and that's a nightmare with the current sleeping arrangements!!

Many thanks!!!

This is something Im definitely going to try. Ive been reading about the sensory diet and its amazing how many of the activities are things that R enjoys already. Please let me know where to get one from or even how to make one, as my mum has done a bit of quilting.

This is something Im definitely going to try. Ive been reading about the sensory diet and its amazing how many of the activities are things that R enjoys already. Please let me know where to get one from or even how to make one, as my mum has done a bit of quilting.

Hi there,

I am no good at sewing but i have posted how i made a blanket on another post a few rows down, if you want further info msg me & i can give you more detail

Regards

Nic