Sign in to follow this  
tjw

1st meeting

hi

i have now received my 1st visit from 1st point of action it is on monday 13th oct. so nervous all ready they have given me a p4-16 form to fill in which seems simple enouth, should i also write down all the stuff they dont ask on this form, are should i just talk it through with them the meeting is in my home so i will have to keep ds off school, i will speak with school and give them a copy of letter so its not down as absent, any advise would be greatfully received from all of you who have gone through this prossess, also i keep wonting to cry dont know why perhaps it just because they will confirm all.

thanks

theresa x

Theresa, please don't cry ~ >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I am sorry I am not sure what you mean or who the meeting is with.

Clare x x x

hi sorry about lack of info 1st point is who we have to see 1st to see where and who ds will be refered to in our area. is this not the same for all areas i am now a bit confused, i think they might been known as steps in some areas ( i think) i am so new to all this i thought it was the same referral pattern as everyone else. i will be glad when next monday comes and i can get some more answer about the whole process, i have taken the form into ds school and they are going to add to it for me with they veiws on him as well, i will let you know how it all gos. and thanks for the reply once again i am very sorry for lack of info.

theresa x

I would use the questions on the form to make some notes over the next week, as it is easy to forget to say things. Keep some paper by your side over the next week and note down all the little things he does that make you wonder. You could write a few "all about XXX" pages to give to them - it is always better to give too much information than too little.

The process varies a lot between areas.

Try to remember that a diagnosis does not change your child - he has AS or whatever whether it is official or not, and at least you will know what to do to help him if he does get an official diagnosis.

Hi All

We moved between areas just after our son diagnosis.

Where we live before things were very different from where we live now.

What happened there was school make referral to multi disciplinary unit (known by builds name).

Can be made by others but will be referred back to school.

They look at it and ask various people to see child and report back, This goes on for ever(about a year) then child gets to see top dog (lasts over 3 hours) who makes diagnosis on the spot, Well you get it in a letter and a 12 page report a few weeks later.

(This is when we moved)

Then(3 months later) they call a meeting of all concerned to see where you go from there.

At that point is the first time that a pediatrician is involved.

So when his new school asked us about his pediatrician, how do I know, haven't seen one.

And all the other thing that we are only just finding out exist.

Also at the time we thought that he was doing alright at school, seems from what new school say he is not doing that well.They have a much higher expectation, me thinks.

Well what I was going to say is that what you can expect and how things work are very different from one part of the country to another.

There was never any suggestion of getting a statement before but new school thinks it is on. Seeing Educational Psychologist in a few weeks so will find out more.

Edited by chris54

I would use the questions on the form to make some notes over the next week, as it is easy to forget to say things. Keep some paper by your side over the next week and note down all the little things he does that make you wonder. You could write a few "all about XXX" pages to give to them - it is always better to give too much information than too little.

The process varies a lot between areas.

Try to remember that a diagnosis does not change your child - he has AS or whatever whether it is official or not, and at least you will know what to do to help him if he does get an official diagnosis.

hi kazzen and thanks for the advice, i will do the writing down of things as you have suggested,i know its not going to change ds but it just the thought of a proper dx for him, i am fighting for this so he can get the support he needs in school, he is just so sweet and at 6 still just a little boy, but he is very happy,

thanks

theresa xx

Good luck for next Monday tjw, yes it is very different process for different areas, though not sure why, maybe it should be standard !

Like kazzen says, write down everything and anything you can think of, but don't worry about it too much there is usually plently of time to add stuff in the future as the process goes ahead, in the end you get fed up repeating yourself, so it might be worth typing up a history that you can refer to time and time again.

Clare x x x

hi all and thanks for all your advise, i think it should be the same for all areas it would make things alot clearer but i soppose that is just asking for to much.

hi chris i do hope you get things sorted soon for you and your family, we were thinking of moving areas some time next year but i think i may wait till referal is complete 1st now, it must be realy hard for you its like doing it all twice and i am finding once hard at the mo, good luck and takecare

theresa xx