Sign in to follow this  
dooday24

going private.............

hi all im sure this question has been brought up many times before.... we r having such a hard time with camhs at the moment we r thinking of going private to try and get a diagnosis for reece

we have got a diagnosis for moderate learning disability , but i dont think thats all it is with reece....

they did some asssessments in may at school and at home and came up with the ld diagnosis . BUT HAVE STILL NOT HAD THE REPORT......

her excuse was i have trouble getting office space grrrrrrrrrrrrr

its now nearly 6 months and still no bloomin report its taking the p**s abit now i think.........

has anyone got any ideas how we do it privatly and how much it will cost.......... any information will be gratefully excepted

thanku everyone

love donna xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am having a hard time with CAMHS with regard to our little boy, and am considering going private too.

When I looked into it before my daughter was diagnosed it was around �600 for the full assessment and diagnosis BUT she is an adult and it might be different.

Glad you asked this cos im seriously thinking of going private for my lad cos our cahms guy is useless.

no probs .. hope we all find some information to help us get wat we need for our children

love donnaxxxxxxx

Edited by dooday24

Seems such a shame that you have to go along the private route. Its not good enough that you have had to wait almost 6 months for their report, how an earth are people like the school supposed to give support and help with the proposed " Learning Difficulties".

Think I would push for this report to see what it actually says, before spending money on a private dx, the report might highlight important issues that may have been missed.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Clare x x x x

I too considered the private route. Even made some phone calls. Then I spoke to my GP about how depressed the CAMHS procedure made us - how hopeless it all was. The message got back to the SALT dept who persuaded the consultant to look again at a diagnosis but this time without the full CAMHS team. And thats when a few weeks ago we finally got our diagnosis from him. We saw the consultant again this week and he confirmed it and that he was happy with the diagnosis and that we did not need to meet again with the full team - or indeed with him unless there was any medical problem arising in the future. So all I am saying is - see if there is anyone who is sympathetic to your problem - such as the SALT or even the Consultant pead who could help you push for a diagnosis in this way bypassing the CAMHS team. It is definitely possible and within the power of the consultant to make this diagnosis him/her self. Good luck.

Hi I can totally sympathise, I am having exactly the same problems with CAMHS. I am waiting for a decision on diagnosis on the 23rd Oct but have been told it is unlikely to happen as Daniel doesnt tick all the boxes. I cant actuly believe they used the phrase ticking boxes but they did.

This is the latest of years of setbacks and I spent most of last weeks in tears of frustration as it just seemed to get on top of me. Feel alot better now, just trying to get as much evidence together as I can and to go for a second opinion.

I too am considering going private but dont know where to begin, I would prefer to find someone who practices NHS as well as private as I hoped that may add a bit more weight to the diagnosis, please let me know how you get on if you do go down tis route.

I wish I had totally bypased CAMHS now, I only asked for a referral t them on the recomendation of the Ed Psyc who has now left. In hindsight now I would have asked for a referral elsewhere as I feel at I have just wasted 18 months.

There is some very good advice on here that I am going to look into myself, it is just so frustrating that you have to have such a battle to get a diagnosis, it does make me wonder if CAMHS are set quotas.

Hi I can totally sympathise, I am having exactly the same problems with CAMHS. I am waiting for a decision on diagnosis on the 23rd Oct but have been told it is unlikely to happen as Daniel doesnt tick all the boxes. I cant actuly believe they used the phrase ticking boxes but they did.

This is the latest of years of setbacks and I spent most of last weeks in tears of frustration as it just seemed to get on top of me. Feel alot better now, just trying to get as much evidence together as I can and to go for a second opinion.

I too am considering going private but dont know where to begin, I would prefer to find someone who practices NHS as well as private as I hoped that may add a bit more weight to the diagnosis, please let me know how you get on if you do go down tis route.

I wish I had totally bypased CAMHS now, I only asked for a referral t them on the recomendation of the Ed Psyc who has now left. In hindsight now I would have asked for a referral elsewhere as I feel at I have just wasted 18 months.

There is some very good advice on here that I am going to look into myself, it is just so frustrating that you have to have such a battle to get a diagnosis, it does make me wonder if CAMHS are set quotas.

I so know how you feel..ive spent days just crying at it all...was meant to get my lads diagnosis last week instead a new cahms guy was there n wanted to begin from scratch again. :wallbash: I am seriously considering going private cos im at the end of my tether with it all. >:D<<'>

its so bloomin frustrating all of this diagnosis business.. the peadiatrician has always said reece has autisctic tendancys and fully beleived he was on the spectrum but since we have seen camhs he has backtracked and says he has some autistic tendences but is NOT autistic really makes me mad have spent hrs in dispair of it all and have had my medication upped as im not coping.... i really dont know wat im supposed to do all i want is wats best for my child is that too much to ask for....... i will go to the ends of the earth to get wat we need.......... but i am sooooooo annoyed with all these so called proffessionals who love to play god with peoples lives

sorry to rant but im so p*****d off at the mo

love donna xxxxxx

GOODLUCK EVERYONEXXXXXXX

Rant all you like hun il join you cos I soooo understand how you feel,it just drains you dont it. >:D<<'>

thanx bikemad just feel like we go rwnd and rwnd in circles and get nowhere then they show me some light at the end of the tunnel only to switch it off wen im nearly there and av to start again im just soooooooo tired of all the ######....... its got to get better ...........

love donnaxxxxx

Hi, Iwas told on Thurs by the SEN teacher (who has just been on a course about autism) the my son does not need to see an OT. He's 10, has trouble using a knife and fork, doing buttons and zips, kicking and catching a ball etc. She also says he should be trying to fit in and try to line up in a morning. I keep him in the car until the bell has gone as he hates the pushing in line. I was pretty annoyed and spoke to the depute head about going private. She told me that she's not sure if the school accept it if you go private for a diagnosis of autism but they do for ADHD. Another dead end, i think!!!

Hi, Iwas told on Thurs by the SEN teacher (who has just been on a course about autism) the my son does not need to see an OT. He's 10, has trouble using a knife and fork, doing buttons and zips, kicking and catching a ball etc. She also says he should be trying to fit in and try to line up in a morning. I keep him in the car until the bell has gone as he hates the pushing in line. I was pretty annoyed and spoke to the depute head about going private. She told me that she's not sure if the school accept it if you go private for a diagnosis of autism but they do for ADHD. Another dead end, i think!!!

I think the SEN teacher is just saying what suits her tbh cos my son has all those problems and he saw O/T and they diagnosed sensory problems.

They seem to enjoy toying with peoples lives. :wallbash:

I have the same problems with my son, he is ten (11 in Nov) and canot tie shoelaces, buttons etc. I have to get his clothes out for him as he would just pick the first thing out of his wardrobe if it was up to him, it would not occur to him if it was too small, inside out, needed washing etc. Even then I have straighten his collar, his waist round his trousers, his clothes look so uncomfortable on him and I have to constantly resist the urge to brush him down and straighten him up when he is in the playground, he is just totally oblivious and has no conecpt of getting dressed quickly, this is something he really struggles with. He can ride a bike, swim and use a knife and for okay but is so slow with things like writing an getting ready to get out, it can take him twenty mins to get dressed as he will constantly break off and look at his dinosaur book. I have asked CAMHS for a referral to an OC to which I they have agreed but I am not holding out any hope as I have lost faith with CAMHS completely.

To DMM, I think it is disgraceful what the SENCO teacher said to you, is she now a font of knowledge on all things Autism now she has been on a course, also I wouldnt take any notice of her saying that he doesnt need to see an OC. You dont need her permission. Would your GP refer you to an OC, just bypass the SENCO teacher altogether, it is better to have them on side but I think they are very hit and miss to tell you the truth and I wouldnt rely on them for anything, I chase everything up myself.

BIKEMAD, your son looks so sweet, is he wearing a wrestling tshirt, thats one of the few things over the years that has given my son alot of pleasure, he loves WWE, which has been a blessing as it has given him a common ground with kids in the playground.

I have the same problems with my son, he is ten (11 in Nov) and canot tie shoelaces, buttons etc. I have to get his clothes out for him as he would just pick the first thing out of his wardrobe if it was up to him, it would not occur to him if it was too small, inside out, needed washing etc. Even then I have straighten his collar, his waist round his trousers, his clothes look so uncomfortable on him and I have to constantly resist the urge to brush him down and straighten him up when he is in the playground, he is just totally oblivious and has no conecpt of getting dressed quickly, this is something he really struggles with. He can ride a bike, swim and use a knife and for okay but is so slow with things like writing an getting ready to get out, it can take him twenty mins to get dressed as he will constantly break off and look at his dinosaur book. I have asked CAMHS for a referral to an OC to which I they have agreed but I am not holding out any hope as I have lost faith with CAMHS completely.

To DMM, I think it is disgraceful what the SENCO teacher said to you, is she now a font of knowledge on all things Autism now she has been on a course, also I wouldnt take any notice of her saying that he doesnt need to see an OC. You dont need her permission. Would your GP refer you to an OC, just bypass the SENCO teacher altogether, it is better to have them on side but I think they are very hit and miss to tell you the truth and I wouldnt rely on them for anything, I chase everything up myself.

BIKEMAD, your son looks so sweet, is he wearing a wrestling tshirt, thats one of the few things over the years that has given my son alot of pleasure, he loves WWE, which has been a blessing as it has given him a common ground with kids in the playground.

Yeah it is he is absolutely nuts on it has been for couple of years now..as you say it can be a help in the yard as it is a common topic so he can at least join in.

My lad is like that getting dressed...grabs whatever is at hand throws it on but at snails pace if that makes sense.

Really interesting discussion,

I think we must have just struck lucky with our diagnosis. Had "issues" with daughter for years. She was diagnosed with dispraxia at 5 or 6, we spent the next 6 years dealing with the clumsiness, the obsessions, the innapropriate behaviours, bladder problems, eating problems, innability to understand the world around her. We delt with the meltdowns, the stress, the falling over, the short attention span, the innability to understand concepts such as personal space. As you all know the list is endless.We did not return to our GP for 6 years, as we didn't think there was anything anyone could do, it was our lot, and our daughters, and we just thought we had to get on and deal with it. The only reason we went to GP this year was that DD's wetting was getting out of control, when the GP asked if we had any other problems I listed about 20 things that were hard to deal with. We had private medical insurance, so a couple of days later we had an appt with a consultant paed, who is well known in the field of AS. Within 20 mins we had a diagnosis of AS and ADHD. This diagnosis has been accepted without any issue by our NHS GP and by the school. DD has some one2one support at school. Having a diagnosis hasn't changed anything except that I now know as does DD that her behaviour and habbits are part of this condition and that she is ultra special and may need more help than others with certain things throughout her life. She feels sadly it is a stigma so will not let me tell anyone, but at 13 it is her choice, and if she wants to tell people that is up to her not me.

At least with a firm diagnosis I know what I am dealing with, for me it has been a blessing.

Just thought I would tell you our experience.

Good luck

Harmony

i have just phoned my health cover people and they say they will pay up but we av to pay in advance and the gp has to refer us to somone private which i think she will as she is really good..... and i have also got the name of who i need to put a complaint in2 at camhs still havnyt recieved ther report....... and i wrote a snotty email to the peadiatrician and explained i was now taking things further as i dont think reece or myself r getting the help and support we deserve..

just had enough of the so called proffesionals this has being goin on too long now

love donnaxxx

i have just phoned my health cover people and they say they will pay up but we av to pay in advance and the gp has to refer us to somone private which i think she will as she is really good..... and i have also got the name of who i need to put a complaint in2 at camhs still havnyt recieved ther report....... and i wrote a snotty email to the peadiatrician and explained i was now taking things further as i dont think reece or myself r getting the help and support we deserve..

just had enough of the so called proffesionals this has being goin on too long now

love donnaxxx

Good for you I so know what you mean....we have a appointment again at cahms with 'the idiot' we saw before in Nov and my other half is comeing n telling him we want to be referred to someone else who will help n do their job properly and if not then ive got a number for someone in Swansea n il get the doctor to refer ds there.

love donnaxxx

Well at least you can get it back. Most GPs are fine about private referalls. I have had one for a womens problem, when I needed to see a surgeon quickly. The GP just wrote me a letter, I phoned the Consultant, got appointment within days, paid up and claimed it back from my health scheme. The same consultant then transferred me to his NHS clinic (ow! dont pick on me for this!!! we dont have full private insurance, its just a contributory health scheme that DH has always done through work).

I found I could see NHS consultants privately (only quicker!) so it should be quite easy to find one. I would suggest you go armed with a few names, just in case your GP cant suggest anyone.

Good luck.

Im holding fire on going private with DGS. He had his first CAMHS appointment this week and the clinical psychologist was very nice. I also phoned her to ask a question today and she actually rang me back and had quite a decent lengthy conversation with me! I will reserve judgement though until all the assessments have been done and we receive the verdict!

well i hope u get somewhere this time. its a ###### nitemare aint it?...

love donnaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gawd yeah...I hate the way they make you feel like an idiot that dont know your own child. :wallbash:

they def do that but im not taking it anymore im getting tough lol

dont care who i upset lol this is my childs future they r messing with and i willl fight it too the end

love donnaxxxxx

ive just written to a solicitor and a complaint to camhs no more mr nice guy lol xx

hi all, ive just heared back from the soliciter and he has asked me to make an appointment to see him. so am goin to try and get an appointment for 10th of nov 08

thanks everyone for the help and support

love donnaxxxx

Good for you I dont blame you..we have cahms next Tuesday n if he is as useless as last time then the brown stuff will hit the fan bigtime!!!!