Sign in to follow this  
jan

Advice please

Dear All,

I have just had a phone call from the LEA in response to a letter I sent them regarding my son's satement review. I said that I was worried that the review meeting concentrated to much on his present school and that given he was due to move to secondary in September that the provision in his statment will no longer meet his needs.

So, I have been asked to list my concerns. I do not want to miss anything out. I have the usual things, bigger school, more movement between classes, more teachers, untructured time, etc. But if anyone can help compile this list then I would be grateful. I want to make sure I have covered every eventuallity! Is that possible?

jan

adjustments to the behaviour policy as applied to your child need to be considered

we currently have serious issues with school giving detentions for personal organisation, stress reactions like poor control of pitch and volume and even for getting frustrated over literal interpretations which are part of com's problems due to AS. The school is refusing point blank to make adjustments now and his anxiety levels are at such a peak that he had a meltdown before the teacher could open his mouth on friday - and he hadn't even done anything wrong! :angry:

- people do seem to forget this one - we did :(

zemanski

Jan, I don't know what your son's Statement contains, so I don?t know if any of these will be relevant to your son?s needs but how about:

*All staff who come into contact with your son be made aware of his difficulties.

*A full time dedicated LSA who has significant knowledge and understanding of AS/ASD issues, (dedicated meaning solely for your son and not for any other child) to help with:

>organisational skills/ encouraging your son to act independently, BUT always being ready to support him when he gets into difficulty. For example, letting your son enter information into his school planner but if any of that information is incorrect (or doesn?t contain enough detail) then the LSA ought to discretely amend the information.

>communicating to you via a home/school book to let you know of any concerns, providing feedback, providing general information such as dates of Inset days, a class excursion, own clothes day etc.

>implementing specific programmes (acting under the guidance of the SEN support teacher or Senco) e.g. SALT programme, social skills programme, touch typing programme etc.

>setting up the computer/entering specific programmes for working on computer e.g. ?Successmaker?, re-drafting and editing written work, using the Internet/searching for information.

>practical lessons such as food technology, textiles, resistant materials (woodwork), etc.

>monitoring your son during break time/lunchtime (if necessary).

>prompting your son during lessons to stay on task, or possibly scribe for him when he gets too tired to write.

*a flexible attitude to receiving completed homework e.g. an extension to a deadline, possibly a reduction in homework? Make a request for your son to be allowed to complete his homework on the PC (if that best suits him).

*the use of a ?buddy? to help your son familiarize with the school routine.

*a chill out area for your child to relax in when the school setting becomes too much to deal with.

*disapplication from any subject that your son would have a definite weakness in, e.g:

>a diagnosis of severe Dyspraxia (P.E.),

>a diagnosis of a language disorder e.g. Semantic Pragmatic Disorder (French language subject).

*extended time during internal and external examinations.

*the LEA?s advisory teacher for Autism to visit school on a termly basis to monitor your son's progress/ to monitor the school?s understanding of your son's needs and to report back to you via a home visit and to provide you with a written report.

*the LEA's advisory teacher for Autism to be involved with the Senco in drafting your son's IEP.

Edited by Helen

working in groups

writing his homework in planner

problems with PE?

problems with changes in class eg: do some lessons in tutor group, some in streams, etc.

Problems with having supply Teachers with no notice.

problems if his locker is in corridor/busy place

problem with bell ringing at change of class?

Karen