Sign in to follow this  
tjw

any t/a or teachers out there

hi

i am after some advise i am thinking of changing my career and i am looking at t/a at mo, i am going to be a book buddy at my ds school after hols, i will be going in straight from my admin job, which will only give me an 1 1/2 a day, but one of the teachers has asked if i would like to do reading recovery program with her, i have looked at the aset level 2 in t/a course do you recommend i do this course, i can do it from home via an online service, but wonder if this course is recognised, i am having my crb check done at mo, any advise would be great. many thanks

theresa xx

Hi Theresa,

The name sounds really familiar but I can't remember if it was from primary or whether we do it in my secondary school - won't be going back now til after halfterm but will find out for you. To be honest any courses that you do that relate to the age group of kids you'll be working with is all good (unless its costing you money of course!!)

What age group will you be with?

Stella x

Hi Theresa,

The name sounds really familiar but I can't remember if it was from primary or whether we do it in my secondary school - won't be going back now til after halfterm but will find out for you. To be honest any courses that you do that relate to the age group of kids you'll be working with is all good (unless its costing you money of course!!)

What age group will you be with?

Stella x

hi stella it will be with primary school kids, infants and juniors and it is going to cost between �305/�680 depending on who you take the course with, so it is a bit ochhhee :crying: but im sure it would be worth it to do something that you know you would love doing, it has all started because ds school has ok me going in to help with one on one with him until we get our dx, that is if he will work for me which we all think is a no no, that is when the other teacher asked if i would like to do reading recovery with her, i am looking forward to it, thanks for your help and advise and look forward to hereing from you after hol hope you have a good half term. :D

theresa xx

Often once you start working in a school, you don't need a TA qualification - your experience gets you other jobs.

Once you are working in a school, you will often be offered training, and it would be paid for, so I would hang on for a while and see what happens. You will get training for Reading Recovery anyway.

If you look on TA message boards (eg: TES and others) there are several different courses, and different areas seem to prefer different courses.