Sign in to follow this  
bid

Poor little cat

Our poor little rescue cat has just had nearly all her teeth out because of disease :(

She's 11 and a half, and when she came to us her teeth were in such a poor state that you couldn't actually see any individual teeth, just brown plaque :sick: I paid nearly �200 then to get them cleaned and some extractions.

Now two years later the vet discovered the disease which has caused little holes under the gum line in lots of teeth and a huge hole on one tooth. So she's just had another dental op for about �250!! :o:crying: It should be covered by my pet insurance because the damage has been caused by disease as opposed to neglect, but poor little cat!!

AND, the vet found a heart murmur, and she's lost weight and her backbone is all prominant apparently, so she's got to go back in a month to keep an eye on her :(

Oh dear, the vet has just phoned to tell me all this and I'm all teary :tearful:

She's such a funny little cat, not at all sociable, but it feels as though we've always had her and now I'm so worried and the vet kept saying about her age :(

Boho :(

Edited by bid

Aw, poor little puss and poor you. >:D<<'> Tooth decay is very common in cats and your puss will manage very well without her knashers once she gets used to the idea. Maybe she hasn't been eating well recently because her teeth were troubling her, so now she won't have anything to hold her back and might put on weight. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

She's got Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions :(

Just Googled it, and it's not decay...the tooth gets absorbed by odontoclast cells :sick:

Boho :(

Edited by bid

Awwww Bid, poor kitty and poor you (and I don't mean the money thing....coz I know I would spend the same on our pets :wub: )

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Years ago one of our cats had tooth ace. To cut a long story short.Had opp, then promptly died of kidney falier. :tearful: Still had to pay vet and in them days no one had thought of pet insurance. :angry:

Thing have moved on a bit in vetanery treatment in the last 40 years or so hopefully every thing will be OK. >:D<<'>

I've never heard of that condition, but I do know that cats can cope remarkably well with very few teeth. If your cat has had sore teeth, it is inevitable she will have lost weight due to not eating enough. Kitten food is cut into smaller chunks and can also help with adding weight. Ask your vet if this is a good idea for a few months.

Heart murmurs can be incorrectly diagnosed. When the cat is under stress (staying in the vet would stress many cats) their hearts can skip around all over the place. I know of people who have gone back for the check ups after the vet has found a heart murmur, and there is no longer any trace of it. I hope this turns out less serious than it sounds.

Hope she is feeling better soon!

Poor cat.

11 and a half is still young though. Our cat lived for many years with various ailments including high blood pressure and kidney problems.

It is expensive though - no getting away from that. Thank goodness for insurance!

K x