Sign in to follow this  
chris54

Motability

There is a article in our local paper about a family who have got a car through motability, this is were the mobility allowance pays for the leas of the car, tax, insurance and repairs.

They get this because their son aged 5 has Autism and does not like going out.

Just wondered does anyone know anything about this.

Can we get a car for free??

Just to clarify - your child needs to get the high rate of DLA for mobility (as opposed to care), and you would pay that (mobility) amount to Motability for the car. You keep the care part.

There used to be a rule that the DLA award was going to last at least three years, before you could apply. Motability have a web-site.

Yes but how do I get the high rate of DLA mobility.

What are the magic words I have to put on the form when I fill it in?

My son "doesn't like" walking anywhere , would prefer to go by car but is that reason enough?

From what is reported in the news paper it would seem that in this case it is.

We applied for the mobility element when my son turned 5. We received the higher rate and we were then able to apply for a motability vehicle. We still receive the care element of DLA. You can basically choose to receive the mobility element as a payment or apply for a vehicle.

As kazzen said have a look at the website: http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm

Hope that helps

Yes but how do I get the high rate of DLA mobility.

What are the magic words I have to put on the form when I fill it in?

My son "doesn't like" walking anywhere , would prefer to go by car but is that reason enough?

From what is reported in the news paper it would seem that in this case it is.

I would think that there are probably other issues that particular child has will mobility. My son cannot walk for very long distances without falling over, he cannot negotiate steps or kerbs, he has no awareness of danger and his spatial awareness is poor. These are some of the reasons he qualifies. Can't remember for sure, but I think the DWP will ask for reports again from paedatricans etc.

I would think that there are probably other issues that particular child has will mobility. My son cannot walk for very long distances without falling over, he cannot negotiate steps or kerbs, he has no awareness of danger and his spatial awareness is poor. These are some of the reasons he qualifies. Can't remember for sure, but I think the DWP will ask for reports again from paedatricans etc.

That is the case with us Jadensmum, T has poor muscle tone and tires very easily and we have a mobility car as his physical disabilities make it hard to travel by public transport.

I would like to think to as well but from the description of the boy and what he does and how he plays it give the impression of a very able boy who just does not like walking anywhere.

What my real concern is that this gives the public the impression that we all get these benefits.

Nathan recieved the higher rate betwwen the ages of 7 and 11 BUT he also

had a maclaren major buggy

toe walked and fell [dyspraxia]

absolutely NO sense of danger

bit people

screamed constantly

was suspected of having severe learning disabilities on top of the rather challenging behaviour.

It was not just because of autism.

It is not really a 'free car' you have to find the petrol and most hospitals charge disabled to park and a child's needs can change.

I suggest the Disability Rights Handbook to find out what may be consdiered for higher rate mobility.