Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Would this be considered rude?

My consultant constantly refers to my Aspergers as a disease or illness. He's not doing this out of malice; purely out of ignorance. However, everytime he uses these terms (and we're talking often here) it really grates with me and I want to correct him but have said nothing as I really don't know what to say plus he's moved past it before I could come up with something.

Would it be rude for me to correct him, and if not, how should I do it (I don't have email contact (he's at least 300 years old and doesn't seem very comfortable around computers - he prods his occasionally with one finger... :rolleyes::lol:) so can't do it in writing which would be my preferred method - if I say anything, it has to be face to face)? My biggest concern is that I don't want to get on the wrong side of him (which is I guess another reason I've let it go so far).

I don't think it would be rude to say pleasantly 'You know, my AS isn't a disease or illness'. If he chats more about it, you could expand to explain it's just a basic wiring difference, and you're happy with who you are or something like that.

Bid :)

I think you have to point him in the right direction Mumble. Next time he says something, quickly interrupt and say "actually, my ASD is a neurological disorder, not a disease or illness" and SMILE. That might take the wind out of his sails. :lol:

It would not be rude at all.

We had a person in at school to do a talk and he made a throw-away comment about children with Aspergers (trying to be funny). It didn't particularly upset me, but I didn't think it was something that someone in his job should be saying. I managed to tell him so when he was on his own at lunch time. He was very apologetic, and I am sure he will be a lot more careful what he says in future.

You could write a short note explaining how you feel and give it to him at the beginning of your next session. It sounds as though he is a bit out of touch with current thoughts.

lol mumble, Ive had exactly the same. Proffesionals can just be so wrong ! maybe next time he says says this, just say casually, well it is a condition rather than an illness or disease. He probably wont even take any notice, some people are so thick !

I wouldn't like it either, not at all!

You could pretend to be ignorant yourself and say something along the lines of "so, can I die from Aspergers Disease then!!??" This my make make him realise that one little out of place word can have a huge effect!