Sign in to follow this  
peaches

Have any of you observed your child in school?

When I turn up for school pickup I sometimes get a chance to squint in through the classroom window. Today all the children were sitting on the carpet whilst their teacher was talking to them, and showing them some letters or something they had to take home.

As usual R was sat right in front of the teacher (yes I know why). He was finding it difficult to sit still (we knew about that too). But what he was doing whilst he was sitting there was a bit of an eye opener. He was rocking back and forth whilst covering his head in his hands (almost foetal when you bear in mind his legs were crossed). This upset me because he obviously looked different to the rest of the children, although I admit there were other kids doing kid things like pulling each other's hair and generally wriggling, looking bored etc.

It made me want to observe him in class. Especially given that I have had to write my reasons for his statutory assessment, i.e. this is what school are doing and its not enough for him. Although Ive done the letter with school's support I dont know if I really know the full picture of what school life is like for R. I know he finds it stressful and I wonder if there is anything that can be done to alleviate some of the stress, perhaps before his dx?

Could you ask for him to be assessed by a paediatric (sp?) occupational therapist outside of the process of his dx. From what I understand, that kind of behaviour is usually linked to sensory processing, and an OT who knows what they are doing should be able to help with coping mechanisms (both for the child and the teachers to follow).

hi

i go into georges school 3 times a wk as a helper, in the afternoon, all the classrooms are open and i stay in central area, i must admit i was taken aback when i first saw george have a cry and shout because a girl had gone out of turn on the computor.and was having to much time on it, but his teach has given him a timer now and that has worked for him. but his over all behavior is very different than the george we have at home, he has to have his same spot at lunch he gets in line first for breaks and again has to have the same spot, his teach was reading a story to the class the other day and george was laid out on the floor playing wwe, i also heard him shouting boring boring at the top of his voice, i read with george for 15 min a day at the end of day but other than that i try and stay away from him because he starts to cling to me and wonts hugs all the time he gets plenty of them at home, but it is nice to watch and take a back seat while i watch how the school deal with him and so far i must say i am impressed.

take care

theresa xx

i wud love to b a fly on the wall at reeces scool cos he always comes out so stressy and they say hes the perfect child whilst hes there

love donnaxxxx

I found it very interesting to go and help in my children's classes. However, some schools do not allow you to help in your own child's class, and sometimes it can distract your child.

i wud love to b a fly on the wall at reeces scool cos he always comes out so stressy and they say hes the perfect child whilst hes there

love donnaxxxx

Same here.......he is supposedly an angel yet he has to see a behavior therapist....errrr ok....love to see what he is like n what happens at school.