Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

It just gets better and better

My last post: http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=19564 explains a bit about what we are going through.

Well now we have the homebook and no injuries so far, and I've found out why! T is being taken out of the class everytime he *winds up* other pupils to stop him being hit loads of times a day :o .. The funny thing is the *winding up* are his tics as he has tourettes!!!!! He is being punished for something he can't help, T's anxiety is through the roof and he hits the mouse down on the desk very hard when he is on the PC. He has apologised for this and says it's his brain telling him to do this. I've explained this to the school but he is being taken out of class for doing this, also for screeching (another tic) and it's being written down in his book that he is winding everyone up. Reading his homebook feels like reading someone putting him down and pointing out all of his bad points (his TS) and hardly anything nice.

When he broke the mouse the other day he said "Thanks for not punishing me", it broke my heart..

Aaaaaaaaaawwwwww the poor thing thats bad!!! Kids used to hav a go at my ds for his tics n in the nd I wrote a ltter sayig I wasnt impressed and they rung n said we didnt know he couldnt help it...eeerrrrr well do ya homework then!!!

Makes me sick how ours kids are punished for being themselves. >:D<<'>

What makes me sick is that the school seem to be doing little to support all of the children with something which can't be helped. Your son needs support and so do the other children as they all need to be in class together they can't just keep taking your son out and if they are then I would say it's the worng placement for him.

Circle time could be used for helping children understand others children's difficulties and with this the other children may become more sympathetic, they could also try to help the other children to learn ways to ignore it and not be distracted by it, your son is probably alot more anxious because of the other children not responding very well.

This used to happen in my son's class alot with another lad, he was very ASD and would do things to annoy my son, in my son's eyes that was, but the other lad wasn't, he just couldn't help it....things did get bad but it took alot from me to get my son to understand that he couldn't help it.

he hits the mouse down on the desk very hard when he is on the PC.

Regardless of whether he can help it or not, I can understand why this could cause annoyance to others if they don't understand. Why doesn't the school remove the problem altogether and replace a traditional mouse with a trackball for him to use as this doesn't get lifted off the desk at all?

ETA: There's also a Kids trackball :thumbs: :thumbs:

ETA (again): And one that looks like a Fried Egg specifically for children with poor fine motor skills. :D

Edited by Mumble

Regardless of whether he can help it or not, I can understand why this could cause annoyance to others if they don't understand. Why doesn't the school remove the problem altogether and replace a traditional mouse with a trackball for him to use as this doesn't get lifted off the desk at all?

ETA: There's also a Kids trackball :thumbs: :thumbs:

ETA (again): And one that looks like a Fried Egg specifically for children with poor fine motor skills. :D

Thanks for that Mumble, he is fine on the mouse it's just the compulsion to do it.. :)

Ive not noticed it much before but since you said bout it ive notice my ds can be pretty rough on the mouse if things aint going 'the right way' as he calls it.