Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

meeting with lea

Hi

I have a meeting with lea tomorrow to discuss my concerns regarding ds safety and the way school are not implmenting his statement. I am very nervous!

I have typed lots of notes that include dates of different problems that have occured. My aim is to get ds to a new school, however I am not sure how realistic this is as his statement has only been in place since july 08. I will not allow ds to return to present school as even with a 15hr statement his needs are being ignored. Do I have any legal right to keep him off? I have documented a structured timetable following national curriculum for the last two days I have kept him home. What are my rights as a parent?

If the meeting goes badly I have decided to de-register my son and home educate am I right in thinking even with a statement I can do this?

your thoughts and advice are very much needed.

You need to keep very calm. List your concerns and your evidence for these concerns and have them documented so the LEA can have a copy. Keep factual it helps to win you case.

Its normally a case of they listen to you but do not say anything constructive at the meeting. But following the meeting they will contact you with there decisions.

Good luck for tomorrow

---List your concerns and your evidence for these concerns and have them documented so the LEA can have a copy. Keep factual it helps to win you case.

Have several spare copies of every thing so you can leave them with them.

First of all a statement is a legally binding document which schools and Local Authorities (we no longer have LEAs - sorry personal pet hate with me know your enemy and all that at get their name right) which can NOT be ignored. If it the statement is specified and quantified and you know that it is not being delivered then the LA are breaking the law and it is that simple. If the statement says 15 hours support then that is what it means and that is what your son should be getting. If it says ?up to? 15 hours as and when needed then that is a different ball game because the school can argue that they give the support when it is needed.

Secondly have you got someone who can attend the meeting with you tomorrow to take notes? That usually makes em sit up and take note because they know what they are saying is being recorded. If you think that despite the statement that the school is not meeting your sons needs then you would need to have the statement reviewed and a new school naming.

Thirdly you have no legal right to keep your son off school unless he is ill or you can get your GP to issue a sick note stating that your son is not fit for school at the moment. If your GP would do this it might give you some space to apply some pressure to your LA for a change of school. GP could say that your son?s health is suffering because his needs are not being met at school. Some GPs will do this others will not.

As long as your son is not in a Special School at the moment you would de-register him in the same way that you would any other child without a statement. What I would say is that if you really are going to think about home ed (you do not have to follow the national curriculum at all because that is not legally binding for parents) I would join this list where you will get all of the help, support and advice you are going to need.

Cat

I hope this isnt too late hun.

I think deregistering him is a big mistake, unless you want to home ed and can afford to do it>. If you want him to go to a school that can support him properly you need to push it now.

Show them evidence of their failure to fulfil his statement with examples and ask what they are going to do about it. Keep notes and then write up the minutes and send copies for all those who attended.

Hi,

The meeting went really well. I expressed my concerns, education officer listened and suggested I could write my letter then and there to request new school! He then promiced to send ds statement and all paperwork to new school first class post today so they can say yes or no to a place before christmas!

The only problem will be getting an lsa.

I feel so relieved.

I am going to complain about current school in the first instance to Govoners.

I am going to keep ds home until it is all sorted, athough I may take him to the doc with stress in Jan if new school not sorted.

Thanks for all advice

congratulations for keeping a cool head and getting your message across.

Hopefully you will suceed

Thank you! I can not believe I was so calm and factual! the education officer was really nice to me, even when I said ds was not going back to school, he explained that it was a legal requirement and was unautherised absense but that he understood why I was doing it !!!!! I said I was not prepared to lie and tell current school he was ill when he is not. I was amazed that I felt understood and respected! this is the same man I locked horns with over his statement until I got what I felt ds needed.

I am very nervous about the move and how things will work out but feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders tonight.

I have told ds he is not going back to old school and he seems very calm and happy about it!

thanks for your advice