Sign in to follow this  
warrenpenalver

Adopt an animal adverts

I keep seeing these adverts for animal charities where you can adopt a cat, dog, donkey, lion, penguin, puma etc etc etc

Obviously some of them you can look after the animal if its a domestic pets.

But with the other ones do you have rights as youve adopted it???

Like could i adopt a puma then ask to take my puma (the car) to the zoo to be photo'd with the puma (the big cat) next to it??? (well being a cat it would sleep on the warm bonnet :lol:).

CAn you do that or is it misuse of the word "adopt"???

Cant see anyone wanting to cuddle a lion though :unsure:

Some charities ask you to make regular donations by direct debit, and this is no different really. You would normally get regular updates on your 'adopted' animal, which would make you feel involved in the work of the charity, and more inclined to carry on giving them donations. Your money does not actually go directly to benefit that particular animal, it generally goes toward the work of the charity in that region. You wouldn't have any special rights over the animal. It's more like sponsorship than adoption.

It's kind of different but it works the same. I used to support a charity by 'adopting' a boy in Guinea. My money went toward schemes in his village and we used to write to each other 2-3 times a year. Every year I got an update compiled by the charity including information about his education and his family. You were allowed to send gifts, but you were encouraged to send only items of small value and which could be shared with other children, like a ball or a game.

I have also adopted two cats from local rescue charities. This is different because I own these cats, they live in my home and I am responsible for their welfare.

Some charities ask you to make regular donations by direct debit, and this is no different really. You would normally get regular updates on your 'adopted' animal, which would make you feel involved in the work of the charity, and more inclined to carry on giving them donations. Your money does not actually go directly to benefit that particular animal, it generally goes toward the work of the charity in that region. You wouldn't have any special rights over the animal. It's more like sponsorship than adoption.

It's kind of different but it works the same. I used to support a charity by 'adopting' a boy in Guinea. My money went toward schemes in his village and we used to write to each other 2-3 times a year. Every year I got an update compiled by the charity including information about his education and his family. You were allowed to send gifts, but you were encouraged to send only items of small value and which could be shared with other children, like a ball or a game.

I have also adopted two cats from local rescue charities. This is different because I own these cats, they live in my home and I am responsible for their welfare.

I have been told that in some ways by adopting a child in a country where there is war and conflict it isnt really benefitting the child because if the goverement know that there is sponsors for the children, the goverment will just spend thier own money on guns and war equiptment, leaving the children to rely on sponsorship for food, clothes, education, work equiptment, also there is some who have said the money that is spent on rice and milk powder is deported they cant get to the people desprately needing it because of other govermental factors.

In short the money isnt really helping the situation and the people really needing it dont get the help with all the red tape within their own govement.

In some way its a little similair to adopting an animal, we need to concentrate on the reasons why the animals are there in the first place, and look at the legal system too as it is too leanant, personally I would give money to charities that look at prevention rather than acting after the cause/crisis.

any different views welcome

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

My bigger worry about these things is what happens if the zoo or charity closes? Do you get a knock on the door and find that you're now in charge of a fully grown African elephant? Or that the cute little tiger cub you sponsored is now half a tonne in weight, chews on car tyres and is in need of a warm carboard box next to a radiator? Or that 'cuddles' the adult silverback gorilla needs to come and stay?

I have a back garden but I really don't want to have to use it to graze donkeys on :shame:

Yeah it does seem quitecomplex with the child sponsoring. From what i understand similar issues exist with the whole food aid program in africa as the ramshackle governments can wash responsibility for feeding thier own people.

I have a back garden but I really don't want to have to use it to graze donkeys on :shame:

I imagine a Puma or tiger would make a good security device in my house but it might be a little cold and i dont know if feeding a tiger CHAV's would be called animal cruelty???

I imagine a Puma or tiger would make a good security device in my house but it might be a little cold and i dont know if feeding a tiger CHAV's would be called animal cruelty???

Those big chunky (fake) gold chains do present a choking hazard. You could try phoning the RSPCA and see if they have any advice about what you can/can't feed a puma :whistle:

If you want to support a particular charity it's worthwhile doing some research into how they work. The charity I supported did very small-scale projects which were designed to help the community become self-sufficient. For example, they didn't build them a well and then go off and leave them to it. Instead they trained some people to teach others about the importance of clean water. Then they taught them how to build and maintain a well. Yes, they provided the materials, but now these people have a well which they understand the need for and can maintain.

Cats need entire animals including bones, internal organs and skin - but not clothes. Chavs should make an adequate diet for a puma, but you should remove their hoodies first.

i dont know if feeding a tiger CHAV's would be called animal cruelty???

Should you be referring to Chavs as animals... :whistle:

Chavs should make an adequate diet for a puma, but you should remove their hoodies first.

The puma could wear the hoodies to protect itself from British weather, making Chavs a complete food and protection system all in one :lol:

The puma could wear the hoodies to protect itself from British weather, making Chavs a complete food and protection system all in one :lol:

Nah what id do is set up one of those outdoor wood burner things to burn the chav clothing and cheap poison cider drinks they have. That way the puma would stay warm as well as well fed!!

Ohhh one flaw!! id have to make sure the CHAVs arent on too many drugs otherwise the Puma may get ill/high.