Sign in to follow this  
asereht

Writing stories

Hi all , My son had homework tonight in which he had to pretend he had a penpal and send this penpal a postcard,he found it too difficult to do and after an hour he had only 7 lines done ( the teacher wanted two pages-Large postcard!?).

Anyhow I had to give him a note to excuse him from this homework, The school told me to do this if he gets blocked as he sometimes does.

K told me that while he can write (wonderful- I think) stories about any sort of fantasy aliens,monsters etc. he has trouble trying to imagine real life situations if it isn't actually happening to him. He was wondering if anyone else with ASD/Aspergers has this problem.

Hi asereht,

Yes, my daughter has similar problems: in French she was given a homework task of interviewing a "famous person". She was baffled and told the teacher she didn't know any famous people. Luckily she had an understanding teacher who said she could just interview her parents.

My daughter also writes very imaginative stories often based on fantasy literature - the further removed from the real world the better. Some of her stories can be found on the fanfiction website. When she was younger it was Pokemon stories, then she moved on to Lord of the Rings, now it's Halo. She's very good at thinking up elaborate plots, she has an extensive vocabulary and her grammar is impeccable. Ask her to write a few lines inviting a friend to tea though, and she just doesn't know where to begin.

K

Yes David is like this to. He has also written some really imaginative Halo stories and does the same for various other games and also his War Hammer. But at school he would always come home complaining that he was being asked to write about things that he knew nothing about. This gave David more grief than any other subject. He could handle factual accounts no problem. But story writing was a nighmare for him.

Now I know why!

Carole