Sign in to follow this  
Claire82

DLA question

I have had the forms for DLA and cannot believe how difficult I am finding filling them in!!

Could anyone tell me, in part 5 - more about the child, you have to tick all the boxes that apply. One of the boxes says 'has a mental health problem', I know this may sound silly, but is ASD/aspergers classed as a mental health problem?

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire

I'm not sure exactly what's classed as a 'mental health problem' but personally I ticked 'yes', and I didn't have any problems as a result - DS (HFA) was granted DLA at the lower rate.

I hope that helps

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi I have found National Autistic Society very helpful with the forms, they can refer you on to a welfare right officer too.

Do have a look on their website for help with DLA.

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....=528&a=3330

I ticked yes for the mental health problems as J has Other Diagnosis.

Also Contact a family have booklets on DLA too,

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/pdfs/DLA_factsheet.pdf

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/families/advicesupport/index.html

I understand how hard and frustrating the DLA forms are and we did recieve a lot of support before going ahead and filling it in.

JsMum

Hi

It's a very difficult form to fill in. I was stumped on that particular question and sought help from a local organisation to help me with it. I ticked 'yes'. If you're able to, it would be a good idea to seek assistance with this - eg CAB. In Edinburgh there's an organisation run by very experienced parents of disabled children - do you have an organisation like that where you live?

It's worth seeking advice on this. I applied and got DLA first time. I know others who haven't been so lucky and have had to appeal or perhaps not got the award that perhaps they're entitled to because the form didn't contain important points. There was all sorts in the form that I wouldn't have put down because I didn't think it was particularly relevant or I misunderstood the question, eg sleep - my son despite being on melatonin still awakens most nights. The fact that I have to stay with him until he goes off to sleep and then get up if he gets up is relevant, particularly when he's screaming and shouting for a bath at 2.15am. That is a care issue, whereby R has no concept of nightmare routines/ettiquete. Also, think about your child's sense of danger or lack of it and how that impacts on you, in that you have to be much more vigilant, etc. I don't wish to 'lead' you as to what you should say, but definitely get advice on it - as I said, there were lots of things that I didn't think relevant or hadn't even thought of.

NB: Any reports which you may have from nursery/school/paeds/etc which would support your application are worth photocopying.

Best wishes

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir

we found it really hard,but got there eventually, we are still waiting for reply though as they have requested the consultants report,,,dunno how long that will take though,,probly next year????

I don't think it does any harm to tick the yes box to any of the questions as it will be the backup information that is considered.

I tried to write something in every box just to make sure.

As far as I know they only contacted the school.

We got middle rate care lower rate mobility.

NB: Any reports which you may have from nursery/school/paeds/etc which would support your application are worth photocopying.

Best wishes

Caroline.

I'd second that. We sent in a copy of every report we had regarding DS, right back to his nursery reports.