AmyE

Hi, another newbie here :)

Hi everyone,

Just introducing myself :)

My name is Amy, and my husband and I have 3 children, our eldest boy is 4 and is being assessed at the moment. He has severe language delay and his paediatrition has said she expects him to be diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder within the next two years.

He also lives on hot chocolate and milk, no solids at all, although he used to eat fromage frais and yogurts but is not in the slightest bit interested in those things anymore. His weight and height have been sent to a dietition though and he's the right weight for his height, so we've just got to keep offering him food each meal. We're hoping one day he'll start to improve with his eating.

Does anyone else's child have eating problems?

xx

Hye

And a big welcome... this forum is great and will be a real help to you in the future.... my son has lived on bread and jam since he was no age now almost 5 and is on the spectrum, doesnt affect his weight or health... we keep offering food but he never eats it.. one good thing is though he started school and eats there apparantely I've been told he associates school with dinner but not home!

Welcome again!

Sharon x

Hi :)

Thanks for the reply, regarding the eating he has vitamin drops in his milk now and he doesn't seem to be getting as many colds has he did do, although his immunity is still low. I have to put them in out of his sight though otherwise he'll refuse the drink.

Is your son in smaller clothes then his age?

Hi :)

Thanks for the reply, regarding the eating he has vitamin drops in his milk now and he doesn't seem to be getting as many colds has he did do, although his immunity is still low. I have to put them in out of his sight though otherwise he'll refuse the drink.

Is your son in smaller clothes then his age?

yes hes still in age 2 to 3 and he will be 5 now in June, he is quiet small for his age but doesnt look as if he doesnt eat and is quiet a sturdy we fellow! We also use vitamin drops! It is quiet common for as kids to eat white food"such as ham, chicken,bread,crisips) have you tried offering these, I think a variety of some kind would give us mums some peace of mind!

Just in the last few days I keep reading about white or beige food preferences and that sums up most of my (3 yrs 7mths) son's diet. He eats porridge, bread/toast, cheese, marmite, crisps, chips. occasionally pasta with cheese but only at granny's house and dry cereal (not all types). He dropped cheesey mash six months ago and fruit puree more recently. He drinks actimel or vimto. I've done my nutritional sums and I think (with a few added vitamins and iron) he's covered. I was a pretty poor eater myself, I'm not gonna sweat over a restricted diet although I have to admit that an entirely liquid diet might have me a bit unnerved.

janine

yes hes still in age 2 to 3 and he will be 5 now in June, he is quiet small for his age but doesnt look as if he doesnt eat and is quiet a sturdy we fellow! We also use vitamin drops! It is quiet common for as kids to eat white food"such as ham, chicken,bread,crisips) have you tried offering these, I think a variety of some kind would give us mums some peace of mind!

Bradley is still in 2 to 3 too, he will put crisps near his mouth and lick the flavour off, he doesn't put anything else near his mouth. But nothing actually goes into his mouth and he's never chewed anything.

Yes :) and he used to eat things like porridge, custard and semolina, but once he goes off something, even if we leave it and offer it again a few weeks later, he won't have it.

it could be sensory issues your son is fgacing when eating any type of food due to new textures and tastes he may be fearful and scared of trying new things due to heightened taste,smell or even touch can be so powerful compared to the normal! maybe have a seperate word with the paedtrician about how to approach introducing new foods to him in a ASD friendly broken down way or talking to your doc see what good suggestions and ideas they come up with! good luck in this though however hard and tough keep at it please it all be worth it trust me im grateful for my parents input and sometimes can get obsession about certain food products and the routine that surrounds this but may cause anxiety and stress you need to explore deeper and see whether becomes clearer! hope this advise helps take care KL XXx

Both my kids refuse to eat slimy food such as pasta. My son who is 6, is physically sick just looking at some foods because of their consistency. He also cannot be anywhere near my yr old niece when she eats as he is sick then too. x

Hi Amy, a really big warm welcome, and pleased you found this forum in the early stages of diagnosis, my son is nearly 12 and two years ago he was so underweight he was in hospital he weight 3 and half stone at ten.

J has been under a dietition for two years and undergone sensory intregration therapy to eat, his are down to sensory issues, so texture, taste, tempreture and if they toutch eath other on the plate, ect...his main diet was wheetabix, chocolate and cola, but after therapy he has gained 2 and half stone and has a wide range of foods now, he doesnt drink cola at all now as he was using the caffine to stimulate his brain, he enjoys cooking with me, he has a massive input with menues, he picks the ingrediants and loves to chop and slice and gets really into it, the change is remarkable and I am soo relieved.

J is still clinically underweight for his height, but not like before, in the past he had no hunger or thirst signals and often hypoglicemic so it was diffcult to get his sugar levels right and to get him to eat, he has high Anxiety and these disrupt his apitite so it can be still difficult to get him to eat, Anxiety and Sensory Intregration Disorder go hand in hand, so we do understand it better now, but its an ongoing process, even with progress, its keeping it at an even keel, there is still days he will go all day without much to eat, which I dont ever understand how a child can use soo much energy and not really eat much calories to do it, but somehow they do and you do worry, but I do ensure he eats or at leasts drinks and he is doing much better.

I really do hope that things improve for you soon.

JsMum

:thumbs: