Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Statutory assessment

Just having a moan. (what's new) The deadline for sending in reports for my daughter's statutory assessment was a week last Wednesday. The medical and social services reports are still outstanding. When I phoned to find out where they were I learned that the doctor hasn't signed the report so it has to be sent back by snail mail to him, and social services could find no record of the request! :wallbash::wallbash:

What's the point of deadlines for sending in reports if they aren't adhered to? :angry: And what's the point in merging education and social services together if they still don't communicate with one another, despite being in the same building. :angry:

Why did I make the mistake of assuming people can be left to get on with the job? I would be angrier if I wasn't so weary. :wacko:

K

Hi Kathyryn,

From my experience Health and SS reports have always been the last reports to come in for assessments. I don't know why this is one doctor even told me he hadn't done a report because he did not think it was important from an educational point of view :wallbash:

I think there should be an intregrated approach from services but it seems we still have a long way to go.

Hope you get the reports soon and the proposed statement.

Beth

Kathryn,

I can understand your frustration.

There are exceptions to time limits as you will see here

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20013455.htm#12

(e) the authority have requested advice from a health authority or a social services authority under regulation 7(1)� or (e) respectively and the health authority or the social services authority have not complied with that request within 6 weeks from the date on which it was made;

I would certainly follow this up. I suggest you contact the professionals involved and ask if they can get this advice in soonest. I doubt if the LEA will chase it up.

Nellie xx

Hi Nellie,

I spent yesterday afternoon on the phone sorting this out and hopefully the reports will be on their way this week. I wouldn't mind if there was a valid reason for the delay but it's just down to incompetence and negligence. L saw the medical officer several weeks ago and SS did an initial assessment back in February, so the information is there. I just want the process to go smoothly so I'm trying to be polite to everyone I speak to but sometimes it's through clenched teeth!

I agree with you Beth that the process leaves a lot to be desired.

K

Kathryn,

Incompetence and negligence....well, who would have thought it!!!?? :lol::lol:

I just wish they would hurry up, my crossed fingers are beginning to hurt and it's murder trying to use a knife and fork!!

Nellie xx

If I tell you my named officer sounds exactly like Frank Spencer on the phone, you'll know what we're up against.

(Actiually I think Frank Spencer would do a more efficient job. :devil:)