Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

New Therapist

I'm off to see my new therapist this afternoon who's going to do a modified course of CBT with me. To be honest, I'm terrified, simply because I've had so many bad experiences particularly with this service in terms of their (mis)understanding of autism, particularly their assumption that I can't have it (despite having an NHS dx from one of the most respected autism experts in the country... :wallbash:) as I'm 'obviously intelligent'.

Now my fantastic GP has apparently 'primed' this woman (apparently that doesn't involve a paintbrush and a head to toe coating of primer :devil:) in the various communication difficulties I have and how best to communicate with me and I'm really hoping that she has listened and does apply at least some of them so we don't have a 50 minutes of silence session (although that sounds quite peaceful :unsure:) but I'm not holding my breath (50 minutes of that wouldn't be good for me).

I can tell I'm anxious - I'm doing major procrastination, haven't got any college work done this morning, I'm super flappy, and the lunch I have managed was very very plain. I think I'm particularly anxious because I want this to work and so as well as the normal anxieties I'm scared of failing and doing something wrong.

Anyway, as a treat afterwards I get to sit in a seminar room with all the people I ran out on when I was supposed to be doing a presentation a week and a half ago. :tearful: I shall apologise in advance now in case I'm a little wound up and type anything not so nice tonight... :lol:

Good luck.

:pray:

She may be anxious too and may make some mistakes, but I hope the general experience is positive and you find you can can work together.

Good luck also with the meeting afterwards.

We await your return with bated breath. :)>:D<<'>

K x

Anyway, as a treat afterwards I get to sit in a seminar room with all the people I ran out on when I was supposed to be doing a presentation a week and a half ago. :tearful: I shall apologise in advance now in case I'm a little wound up and type anything not so nice tonight... :lol:

thats horrible!

i ran out of my GCSE oral presentation, then threw up right outside the classroom while everyone inside laughed.

i hope they all just act like nothing happened and you can put it behind you

Thanks for all your thoughts :)

Well... GP had obviously done her job well :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: and it went sooo much better than I could have hoped for. My GP suggested I prepare a visual prompt of my needs/issues/concerns/worries (no I don't know what the difference between each is so I just called it 'issues') which I did and took and my GP had prepared the therapist for this (I always write down issues when I go to the GP as it makes communication so much easier) and because I was more talking to this visual chart than to the therapist (if that makes sense :unsure:) I found I could talk more. Still not easy, but better than 50 minutes of silence. Had a slight issue when she referred to my GP by her first name and I was sat there just giving the therapist a blank look and thinking she's got me mixed up with someone else, who the heck is this woman she's on about :oops:

Seminar this afternoon was another story :tearful: Unfortunately I was wearing my blue glasses (I've been told not to wear then in college because they make other people uncomfortable as it's harder for them to communicate and make eye contact with me :wallbash: - huh, try having those problems 24/7 :( but I couldn't be bothered (lazy, I know) to take my plain glasses to change after I'd seen the therapist and part of me thinks why should I have to - they wouldn't tell someone with hearing difficulties to remove their hearing aid as it made others uncomfortable - hmm, slight digression there...) and because I was wearing them I could see the stares better. People did ignore me, but not in a good way. Only one academic even had the courtesy to say 'hello' to me - the others couldn't bring themselves to even say that. My supervisor didn't even acknowledge that I was there despite sitting one chair away from me :tearful:. They're all at the pub now. :wine: I'm alone in my room. :(

I think they are being completely out of line. You need those glasses to help you. I can't personally see what their problem is, I wear my green glasses and nobody has mentioned it at all :whistle: You shouldn't have to take them off to accommodate them, you need to do what you need to do it's not as if it actually is any of their business or impacts on their wellbeing :angry: Sorry I hate it when people act like ignorant bungholes :whistle: