Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Talking in Lectures

I've gone back to doing 1 day a week at uni and the first 2 weeks have gone ok. My issue is that I go to lectures to actually learn stuff! Shocking, I know :o Well during the lectures there are a group of girls who talk the whole way through, so much so that even my notetaker was struggling to keep focus. Now I'm not a person with a particularly short fuse (used to be but that is in the past), but sitting through these lectures with their gossiping in the background has been getting me so wound up that I had to restrain myself in my mind from not blowing up and throwing a book at their heads. A part of me just wanted to turn around and tell them to shut the bleep up, obviously it was just in my mind.

What do you think I should do about it? They have no respect for the lecturer who asks them nicely to be quiet. It's bad enough trying to put up with the various noises without them on top of it :wallbash: It's not as if they do it quietly they talk freaking so loud I can't always hear the lecturer. :angry:

SG >:D<<'> I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but I just wanted to say that I totally understand. I have this too - even the academics do it :wallbash: - and I just want to shout/throw something at them. I know I struggle with auditory processing particularly in the types of room they have seminars in and so this is an over reaction of mine, but even so, these people are still being disrespectful both to the presenter and to the other students. I suppose the only thing I can suggest is that you talk to/email your new mentor about it. It can be her mentor initiation test!! :lol: :lol:

Lol! Thanks mumble. Normally I would think that it was me being over sensitive, but the fact that it was bothering my notetaker as well just wound me up even more. It proved that it wasn't necessarily me being oversensitive for once. :unsure: I will ask my mentor about it on Tuesday, it is something that has been brought up before.

Is there a way to report them for thier behaviour?? they need a telling off by the head of department or similar as its plain rude to talk across someone. Maybe them getting thrown out lecture would teach them the lesson required???

i'm impressed there are enough people in your lectures for noise to be a problem... i was often the only person to show up to my classes, so i didn't have any problems with noise!

on a serious note, i would contact the lecturer by email. he will know exactly what students you're talking about and proof of disruption to another student might be the ammo he needs to deal with the problem.

I know it can be really annoying.

These days I would probably stand up and tell them that if they don't want to listen then go so the rest of us can.

These days I don't care if I do upset people.

I've got a feeling that if I complain these girls will pull out the race card. Everytime someone makes any suggestion that they don't like them or disagree with them they do it :angry: It's not being racist, we just don't like you or think you are acting like idiots. I hate that whole victim mentality sometimes :shame:

if they are talking in class. and there is evidence of this - ie both you and the lecturer being aware of this and filing complaints- i doubt they would get anywhere with the race card. they are not being discriminated against for being told to shut up in class, it is a basic rule everyone must follow. if they suggest you are delibrately picking on them because of their race, they would have to prove that it was only them who were being targeted for complaint. since you would have the same problem with anyone talking, again, this wouldn't get anywhere. the advantage of a formal complaint is that it has to be dealt with officially, and they're far less able to get away with the race thing in an official contect than just in a class where you can't really argue back, otherwise they say you're proving their point.

I wonder why they turn up for the lecture if all they want to do is talk - surely there are common rooms and refectories where they could do that as loudly as they liked :huh:

The lectures I have are compulsory, and people have only talked really loudly in one (and I'm a second-year!). I usually sit near the front to block out as much external stimulation as possible! I think, though, that people do talk at the back of the room, but they're less likely to be noticed up there. How close to the front were you sitting? Would it be worth you sitting closer to the front next time and seeing if it is as noticeable?

I think emailing the lecturer/someone important in the school and telling them would be a good idea too.

How close to the front were you sitting? Would it be worth you sitting closer to the front next time and seeing if it is as noticeable?

I sit right at the front, but the lecture rooms aren't that big (or at least the ones we are in).