daniels-mum

Irrelevant figures for Stat Assessments and Statements

Just thought I would share this incase anyone was interested or from my neck of the woods, please feel free to ignore though if not of interest!!

I requested the following information from my LA under the Freedom of Information Act and received this reply.

1. How many requests were received for Statutory Assessments in the last full year on record?

Education Leeds received 286 requests for Statutory Assessments in the last full year on record (September 2007-August 2008).

2. How many of these requests successfully resulted in a Statutory Assessment being carried out?

Out of the 286 requests received by Education Leeds, 202 resulted in Statutory Assessments being carried out.

3. How many Statutory Assessments led to the issuing of a statement for Special Educational Needs?

Of the 202 Statutory Assessments quoted above, 186 resulted in the issuing of a statement of Special Educational Needs.

I could have really asked more, ie how many went to tribunal, how many were for ASD but thought that would take for ever, I may still yet though!

Just thought I would share this incase anyone was interested or from my neck of the woods, please feel free to ignore though if not of interest!!

I requested the following information from my LA under the Freedom of Information Act and received this reply.

1. How many requests were received for Statutory Assessments in the last full year on record?

Education Leeds received 286 requests for Statutory Assessments in the last full year on record (September 2007-August 2008).

2. How many of these requests successfully resulted in a Statutory Assessment being carried out?

Out of the 286 requests received by Education Leeds, 202 resulted in Statutory Assessments being carried out.

3. How many Statutory Assessments led to the issuing of a statement for Special Educational Needs?

Of the 202 Statutory Assessments quoted above, 186 resulted in the issuing of a statement of Special Educational Needs.

I could have really asked more, ie how many went to tribunal, how many were for ASD but thought that would take for ever, I may still yet though!

I am not from your neck of the woods (my boss is :huh: ) but I was still interested to read the stats. Who did you ask to get this info as I would be very interested to know how my LA stands up. I would be interested to know how many went to tribunal and were for ASD so if you do ask let us know!

Very Interesting, Will try to find out my areas satistics for similair info, and yes it would be interesting to find out how many for ASD, and how many went to tribunal, I appealed and the LEA backed down a week before tribunal so it would be interesting to see how many appealed but statement was given without attending a sendist panel.

JsMum

It would definately be interesting to see how many went to appeal and how many were won, and also how many times the LA backed down. It may be better approaching SENDIST for the information though as I suppose you would get countrywide info then as opposed to just local info from the LA.

I emailed the FOI email address on the LA website to get the info, i'm sure that most places will have one somewhere on their website these days, they emailed the reply back to me aswell which is better than waiting for the post. It has taken about 2 weeks for a reply.

I have gone a bit crazy lately and been sending off for allsorts, I have asked for DS educational pschologis reports so they should make interesting reading (although they are under a different Act and are only supposed to take 15 school days maximum), and have also sent a request to NHS for all individuals and departments/clinics that can assess and make a diagnosis within my city.

The good thing is aswell with the Freedom of Information Act, they have to provide you with the information you ask for (subject to certain data protection exceptions) as long as the cost of the man hours does not exceed �450.

It certainly could be quite a useful tool for some parents.

Im waging my own little war about lack of transport to special school from those of us forced to an out of area school becuae provison is .... in our area , but becuase the LA has all the cards and names .... schools as the qualify ing school we have to pay transport.

Do you think I could do a similar req to see whas going on as I think in my area they are persuing the mainstream agenda by paying to go to mainstream schools but not payingto go to special schools - see what I mean?

I heard a rumour leeds are stopping paying for transport to out of area schools in north yorks, so beware

I think this is the site I got the data from a few years ago. As far as I know it does not say how many went to tribunal but were withdrawn

You can find it on LEA or on a condition

http://www.sendist.gov.uk/Public/search_decisions.aspx

If you can not find it on this site you can email sendist and they will point you in the right direction

As far as I am aware you can ask for any information you like, it doesnt have to be about any particular subject, and they have to provide it (I think there are certain exceptions but these probably apply to peoples safety or matters of security and things like that). You could certainly ask how many in your area already get free to transport to out of area schools and then use that as ammunition in your case. I bet if you even mention the Freedom of Information Act they may change their tune.

Alternatively you could ask for something that they wouldnt want making public, ie how much did they pay out in taxi expenses for their councillors and staff the last financial year. You could then say you feel you have no choice but to appeal to your local paper with the information as it very unjust that councillors and staff spend �x amount of money on taxis in the last year when you are having to fund your childs transport to out of area due to the dire lack of provision in your area for autistic children.