sjb

Not waiting for School - Gonna Apply Myself! STAT ASS

Hi!

i'm after some advice!

After years of the school saying "he's not a problem in School and we won't get a statement" - well, i've had enough and i'm gonna start the ball rolling.

DS1 has a diagnosis now of ASD/Aspergers - our biggest problem has been he is Mr Jekyll and Hyde - they get the nice bit (sort of) and we get the horrid bit before and after school and i've had enough, his SATS for the past 2 years have been "below the national average" and his latest IEP he didn't reach 2 of the targets and the 3rd is "ongoing" as they put it.

He has re-created his classroom in his bedroom, guess that's to make himself more comfortable, we have seen the CAMHS team, we see the Occupational Therapist, he has seen speech and language on and off since he was 5, he will be 10 this year and will only have 2 years left in primary - i cannot see him surviving secondary school - well if he does we might not as a family!! lol

I know the basics of what to say as i've downloaded a letter, it's just figuring out the "right" way of saying what i want to say - does anyone have any good tips?

Thanks!

Sally

Hi, just do the formal letter for now and get the ball rolling for the assessment, if he is failing and not progressing then these are your main areas to focus, start to collect as much evidence as possible and just go with the process.

You will get an opportunity to state your concerns in the Parents Report, this is where you voice your sons needs and what you would like in his statement if you feel he needs one.

It may be that the LEA may refuse an assessment, but you can appeal and go to a sendist panel where you can share your concerns once again.

Its a real fight now adays and its sad that the quiet kids with special needs are not getting even a sniff of a statement, even though they are struggling due to their special needs.

National Autsitic Society, contact a family are the services I saw mainly, contact a family have outreach workers avialable in certain parts of the country who can come and help you go throw the process, so do check out their services for your area also.

I wish you all the very best with the process.

JsMum

Just wanted to say good luck, we applied in July got declined but it started the ball rolling for us and now 6 months on we have managed to get a referral to an Ed Psy and now school are listening so is dd pead, i have no regrets applying yet at the time i was in turmal and nearly didn,t.

I found it really interesting writing up a report and the LEA thought it was really good - but the previous school sent nothing and got a telling off.

DD new school read the report and thought i paid for a private ed psy so i'm proud of my capabilites and hope you enjoy this process.

Edited by hedders

hi,

Good luck, Just to let you know that's how I got 2 of my children's statements. Like you, I got fed up of waiting for schools to apply!

mummy.x

The trouble i am having is how much information.

He has seen lots of people CAMHS/SALT/OT/ School Start plus his Paed and there are quite a few reasons why i think the school is lacking - it's quite hard getting the reasons across in just one line!

My draft is 3 pages long, i've been told that they probably wont even read it!

But surely if i do not put enough information, how can they decide that he needs to be assessed.

So, do i make it shorter and then maybe there is not enough info or keep it longer with all the points i feel relevant?

The trouble i am having is how much information.

He has seen lots of people CAMHS/SALT/OT/ School Start plus his Paed and there are quite a few reasons why i think the school is lacking - it's quite hard getting the reasons across in just one line!

My draft is 3 pages long, i've been told that they probably wont even read it!

But surely if i do not put enough information, how can they decide that he needs to be assessed.

So, do i make it shorter and then maybe there is not enough info or keep it longer with all the points i feel relevant?

Hi write key areas of his difficulties, I split them up as Js needs are across the whole of his development, especially emotional and mental health issues, so high Anxiety in a Mainstream enviroment, reports used the word Severe a lot and impairments, which where his communication, social interaction and understanding language, and I incorperated this into my own parental reports, write as many pages as you like, if DLA want over 56pages then I cant see the problem in a few pages for the LEA, I wrote a few too, they do read them but its whether they act on them, which if they do not and you are still in disagreements then that is when you go to appeals and the panel at sendist read ALL the information including yours the parents, they even read private reports and other Evidence the LEA are not interested in reading because it has not come from their own authority, so collect as much information as possible and if the LEA ignore it do not worry because others will read everything in the bundle, when we went to tribunal I had two full files full of information.

Keep a seperate file of all the special educational needs information and start to file and copy everything with dates and people you deal with, then when it comes together you begin to add more ideas of what it is you want your child to recieve, Jay has severe communication impairments and with a history of speech and language developmental difficulties his statement never gave additional support for these, now after going to appeals he has a whole new compartment just for communication, so look in detail where he needs the support, if that takes 5 pages then that is what it takes if you have placed the key areas of what it is your son needs.

Never give real copies of anything always photo copy and save them in a seperate file, when sending I always send it where the reciever has to sign, this way they cant say they never got your information.

It is a hard slog, lots of preparing and writing but it is what many of us parents have to do when its left to the parents, but if you dont then like you say when would he recieve a statement? it would be interesting to know how much longer children would of gone with no statment if parents hadnt of fighted for one.

JsMum

Thank you for that, i already have a file with all his info in and i have gone through checking dates of SALT - he has seen them 3 times on and off over 5 years, keeps being referred back.

I will go through the report from Psych and put some of the terms he has used.

Another question is that School (after 3 months of me keep asking and from recommendation from SALT and the Psych) have finally contacted SOCIT - the OT also contacted (just in case school didn't do it).

Now, do I wait until they have had some involvement? which may help my case or do i just go for it anyway regardless of what may or may not happen with them?

Measurable data is always helpful in making a case, so targets set and not met, national curriculum levels from one year to the next, that kind of thing.

If you have a professional's report that states he would benefit from additional support or intervention (that would not normally be provied by the school from its budget) then quoting the line from that report and enclosing a copy of it is usually sufficient to get the ball rolling.

All the detail then comes out during the assessment process.

Thank you for that, i already have a file with all his info in and i have gone through checking dates of SALT - he has seen them 3 times on and off over 5 years, keeps being referred back.

I will go through the report from Psych and put some of the terms he has used.

Another question is that School (after 3 months of me keep asking and from recommendation from SALT and the Psych) have finally contacted SOCIT - the OT also contacted (just in case school didn't do it).

Now, do I wait until they have had some involvement? which may help my case or do i just go for it anyway regardless of what may or may not happen with them?

I would still go throw the process time scale of the request of the assessment of SEN and explain that he already has invovlement of various proffessionals and awaiting more assessments.

JsMum

Hi!

i'm after some advice!

After years of the school saying "he's not a problem in School and we won't get a statement" - well, i've had enough and i'm gonna start the ball rolling.

DS1 has a diagnosis now of ASD/Aspergers - our biggest problem has been he is Mr Jekyll and Hyde - they get the nice bit (sort of) and we get the horrid bit before and after school and i've had enough, his SATS for the past 2 years have been "below the national average" and his latest IEP he didn't reach 2 of the targets and the 3rd is "ongoing" as they put it.

He has re-created his classroom in his bedroom, guess that's to make himself more comfortable, we have seen the CAMHS team, we see the Occupational Therapist, he has seen speech and language on and off since he was 5, he will be 10 this year and will only have 2 years left in primary - i cannot see him surviving secondary school - well if he does we might not as a family!! lol

I know the basics of what to say as i've downloaded a letter, it's just figuring out the "right" way of saying what i want to say - does anyone have any good tips?

Thanks!

Sally

Hi Sally,

I have two lads on the spectrum, one has had a statement since starting school (mainstream) and the other has not, but has been on School Action Plus most of his school life.

DS1 is now 11, in Y6, and starts secondary school in Sept. He is very bright and, similar to your child, is a bit like Jekyll and Hyde, managing to mask a great deal of his emotional and social difficulties at school and then releasing them big time at home. I have been asking for extra support since I don't know when and was told that he'd never get a Statement because he's too bright - 'he won't meet the criteria'.

Towards the end of Y5 the cracks started to show big time and he was referred to a psychiatrist and is now on anti-depressants, largely caused by School Phobia. He tries so hard to fit in but it has taken its toll (he came near breakdown). 'He still won't fit the criteria', I was told, largely because he 'seems fine' at school and 'is achieving academically'. My argument is that he won't achieve too well if he has a full breakdown and refuses to attend school any more...

So I applied for statutory assessment myself. I wrote a full history of what he was like as a baby, toddler etc - others have mentioned good places to get an idea of this - it stretched to about 11 pages, I think. I then wrote a covering letter (again several pages long) as to what I felt his needs were (supported by professional reports, if possible), why I felt his needs were not being met, what the school had done (trying to keep it positive; slagging the school off won't help much) and what I thought would help meet his needs. I also included just about every report and IEP I could dig out of my files, for example OT, Ed Psych, some of them several years old.

I was fully prepared to go to tribunal if turned down - I am horrified that everyone seems to think it's OK that an 11-yr-old is on medication without trying to deal with the why he's on it - but the LA actually agreed to assess! (reluctantly, I imagine).

It is hard work and quite stressful, but my advice is to go for it, if you think it is necessary. The NAS advocacy service has been hugely helpful to me, giving me advice on the Code of Practice and the law (which LAs often seem to think doesn't apply to them!); I understand IPSEA and other organisations do the same.

In some areas PArent PArtnership can be helpful, but this is not the case in all areas (eg mine).

Go for it, write what you feel is necessary and be explicit about what you think his needs are and how they need to be met. Don't worry about whether it is read or not - if your application is turned down, appeal to SENDIST. You can be sure everything will be properly read then! The NAS, IPSEA and others can also offer help in preparing for tribunal, and there are loads of helpful people on this forum, SO YOU WILL NOT BE ALONE!

Be strong, you can do it, it's your right to get what your child needs. PM me if you need further motivation!!!

All the best,

Lizzie xx >:D<<'>

Edited by BusyLizzie100

Hi Lizzie

Thank you so much for that.

I have spoken to ASK on several occasions - i got them involved last year,they contacted school for me, when out of nowhere appeared his IEP - dated wrongly etc, etc i had never seen it before, altho he started on school start, and has seen SALT before he started school and every couple of years has been referred back and was referred to the camhs team in 2007!! - and they said the same as the school.

Im sorry to hear your son is on meds, but i have this gut instinct that tells me he won't cope!

So thank you, i think i will leave the letter just as i have written it and include the reports i have. One thing tho is i cannot include the latest report from SALT because it states on it not to be re-copyied and not to be used for statementing. So i have recommended that they contact SALT themselves!

One thing tho is i cannot include the latest report from SALT because it states on it not to be re-copyied and not to be used for statementing. So i have recommended that they contact SALT themselves!

That seems very strange, I would want to know why SALT felt the need to put comments like that on a report!

Perhaps someone a bit expert than me can comment!! (could you use the report anyway?)

Lizzie xx

That seems very strange, I would want to know why SALT felt the need to put comments like that on a report!

Perhaps someone a bit expert than me can comment!! (could you use the report anyway?)

Lizzie xx

I would think been the parent, legal guadian of the child you can photo copy the salt report, It may be that the salt doesnt want LEA on their case for writing reports that supports the child, imagine that, especially if its a local authority salt.

JsMum

I have no advice to offer as this is all new to me but I am in the same position myself, I have just applied for a Stautory Assesment for my son. He is in YR6 at the moment and will be moving up to secondary schol in Sept and I wanted to have something in place for then.

I have had the visit from the SEN caseworker to sound me out and I have my form to write down my views and my sons. I am prepared for a lang drawn out fight although I hope it wont come to that but not holding out much hope, DS teacher is supportive and agrees he needs to keep the level of funding he is currently on and she says she will do all she can to help. Also have a supportive community paed but still very apprehensive about the whole thing.

I have had some great support from another mum at school who has been through the same thing but still very nervous so I do sympathise.